Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4K on FCP X  (Read 2908 times)

vulture

4K on FCP X
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:59:26 am »

Advice required:
I  shot quite some 4K footage with my  Pana GH 4 (4K/100M/25p) and trying now to edit with FCP X. Pans and object movements are "stuttering" on my iMac (27", 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB) and I get the message "4K footage processing on this computer not advisable as you may encounter performance problems".
Earlier HD footage editing was without any problems.
Can anybody give me workflow hints how to keep the 4k "masters" and res it down to HD for smooth editing & output with the above configuration?   
Advice much appreciated.

bcooter

Re: 4K on FCP X
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:46:48 am »

Advice required:
I  shot quite some 4K footage with my  Pana GH 4 (4K/100M/25p) and trying now to edit with FCP X. Pans and object movements are "stuttering" on my iMac (27", 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB) and I get the message "4K footage processing on this computer not advisable as you may encounter performance problems".
Earlier HD footage editing was without any problems.
Can anybody give me workflow hints how to keep the 4k "masters" and res it down to HD for smooth editing & output with the above configuration?   
Advice much appreciated.

You have a lot of options.

First is to convert all of your footage to prores in either 4k to 2k.  (there are a number of convertors for this that are inexpensive.)

Second if your editing heavy 4k on a bone stock apple, go into the preferences and lower the resolution settings and work the files at lower resolution.

(remember even in 64 bit fcp X there is constant rendering going on the the background so the higher the playback setting the more strain on the computer and graphic card.  In other words fcpx is constantly converting your h264 footage to prores behind the scenes, hence your warning).

Once your edit is finished, reset to high quality, 100% resolution, 10bit for output.

I mainly use fcp 7 though the process is close to the same, but if you want answers to this Larry Jordan's site is the place to ask.

IMO

BC

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:31:14 pm »

Hi,

Edit with Proxy, finish with the full-res original.

FCP-X can generate Proxies automatically on import, or just select the event, right Click, transcode media, Generate Proxy. Then use the display options dropdown from the main viewer to switch between the original footage and proxy footage.

Proxies are half-resolution in ProResLT, which is much easier to deal with for snappy editing than the heavily-compressed MP4 that comes out of the GH4. They are manageable in size and still contain easily enough detail for the edit. I turn mine back to original only for a final look through before exporting.

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/fcp-x-proxies-and-optimized-media
has a good step-by-step overview.

Cheers, Hywel

vulture

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:47:50 am »

Thanks a lot for the hints, working now alright.
Pages: [1]   Go Up