Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z6200 and APS  (Read 632 times)

Tony Mah

HP Z6200 and APS
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:08:15 am »

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a used Z6200ps for the charity I work at. We want to use it to print banners and posters and also for proofing.

It seems like with the Z3x00 and the Z6100, I can upload a patch data set, have the printer print and scan and generate a text file where I can use to generate a profile. I am not sure how to do this with the Z6200. 

I am wondering if the HP APS will work with the Z6200 it or if there is a way to export a measurement to make profile?

Thanks,

Tony

Ernst Dinkla

Re: HP Z6200 and APS
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:29:13 am »

Tony,

Try to calibrate a paper on the Z6200 from the printer panel itself. If that fails on more types of paper the issue may be in the spectrometer functions of the Z6200. A stuck sliding door can be solved though, you have to find the Z6200 information for that.

Not that familiar with the Z6200PS but I think you should first check the other software parts and among them should be HP Utility with Color Center that also can create printer profiles. At least that is the case with the Z3200PS that I have. So you are not stuck when APS is not going to work. APS is not that better compared to the latest incarnation of Color Center that should work with the Z6200. There is an issue that it does not load the profile to the printer with Windows but you can load it to the system and after that assign the profile to the media preset in HP Utility.

While I think the i1 Display II (HP rebranded) is nowhere as good for monitor calibration as the newer X-rite Display Pro is but you need it as the dongle for APS to work. I do not use it for monitor calibration anymore but it is still attached to the system that runs APS. One APS installed should cover all the printers used, you will get a conflict if you want to install two APS on a single system, it is even difficult to get another puck/dongle recognised if one has been installed before.

Try out the monitor calibration and profiling first to see if it works at all. With the HP (X-Rite) software and if it not works the ArgyllCMS in the dispcalGUI disguise, the last accepts the HP firmware loaded on the puck, which is not the case with some free X-Rite and Gretag Macbeth apps if I recall it correctly . You have to shift some dlls in Windows and back again when going to the HP software again, dispcalGUI manual should tell. The serial number of the puck has to correspond with the license. You may have to calibrate the monitor first to let APS work. Later on you do not need the puck for that anymore.

Bits and pieces in this message that might help.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up