Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground Swell ?  (Read 828 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Ground Swell ?
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:31:39 am »

Comments, Critiques?
One Day At A Time

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Ground Swell ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:09:09 am »

Todd, I love it. It's my kind of shot. But how about opening it up a bit. Like this? The sun isn't quite getting to the building. The flag and cross are the point of the picture, but -- and this is just a personal take on the subject -- the dark building detracts from the overall effect.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:18:57 am »

Todd, I love it. It's my kind of shot. But how about opening it up a bit. Like this? The sun isn't quite getting to the building. The flag and cross are the point of the picture, but -- and this is just a personal take on the subject -- the dark building detracts from the overall effect.
Thanks Russ, that means alot to me coming from you. This is my attempt at your suggestion. Better?
One Day At A Time

RSL

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:26:18 am »

Yeah. That's got it. Very, very nice.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:55:56 am »

Yeah. That's got it. Very, very nice.
+1

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 11:15:28 am »

Hello Todd.

I believe you are trying to achieve too much in one picture. I am not a fan of flag worship or religious symbolism (not a US citizen or resident and an agnostic humanist) so the foreground is not meaningful to me. Unlike the previous poster, I find the building and its background much more interesting. Is it a one-time petrol station? [you guys call it *gas*!]

Don’t know what camera you used, but movements may have been useful; I am obsessive about getting straight lines and edges straight, unless diagonals are used vigorously.

Can you easily get to the location again? If so, you may wish to research sun angles at different times of the year to see what time gives appropriate illumination. How about a really long panorama made by moving the camera along the horizontal axis of the building? Could be tricky on a cloudy-bright day …
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

RSL

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 02:23:56 pm »

Don't take any advice from anybody who's only medium cool, Todd. Wait for the word from somebody who's really cool.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:25:42 pm »

Hello Todd.

I believe you are trying to achieve too much in one picture. I am not a fan of flag worship or religious symbolism (not a US citizen or resident and an agnostic humanist) so the foreground is not meaningful to me. Unlike the previous poster, I find the building and its background much more interesting. Is it a one-time petrol station? [you guys call it *gas*!]

Don’t know what camera you used, but movements may have been useful; I am obsessive about getting straight lines and edges straight, unless diagonals are used vigorously.

Can you easily get to the location again? If so, you may wish to research sun angles at different times of the year to see what time gives appropriate illumination. How about a really long panorama made by moving the camera along the horizontal axis of the building? Could be tricky on a cloudy-bright day …

Yes it is a closed "gas" station in very rural North Georgia. And, Yes I will re-visit it. It is close by and there was lots to shoot there. Some of which I did on the first visit but have not edited or posted here yet. This shot was actually the last and required climbing the hill across the street from it to gain the downward perspective. I actually "discovered" the flag once on top. The cross of course I knew was there. Not sure the image is worshiping anything however. All of that resides in the eye of the beholder!  Thanks for your interest and comments, appreciated and encouraged,  -t.

PS I may post some "other" perspectives later. Got to work with them a bit more.
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up