Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloudy monitor - need replacement  (Read 3871 times)

tony field

• http://www.tphoto.ca
Cloudy monitor - need replacement
« on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:10 pm »

My HP 2475w monitor has developed unacceptable cloudy patches.  This is the second 2475 that has this problem.   The first monitor lasted under one year before clouds became visible and was replaced by HP under warranty.  My current monitor is out of warranty.

I am thinking of replacing it with an Asus PA249Q - similar in specs to the 2475 with 1920x1200 resolution and Adobe ARGB colour space.

Does anyone have any comments about the PA249Q or have recommendations about alternate monitors that would be as good or better?

degrub

Re: Cloudy monitor - need replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:47:47 pm »

The NEC PA series is fairly popular.

Lilien

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:45:46 pm »

The NEC PA series is fairly popular.
Oh yeah, I own a NEC PA241W with cloudy patches and they (NEC) were less than helpful.
I'll never buy a NEC monitor again.  >:(

Regards, Juergen

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:42:16 am »

I just bought a BenQ PG2401 which was a little cheaper than an NEC and looks great.
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 07:49:36 am »

I'm just back from another what-monitor-should-I-buy-thread in another forum, where any mention of the names "NEC" and "Eizo" trigger instant hostility from those who are convinced any Dell or LG is just as good at a third or a fifth of the price. They just don't see the point, which can only be attributed to the fact that they have never worked with a first-rate display system.

So let me say right off: yes, they are expensive. Are they worth it? Yes, they are, beyond any doubt. Are they three times as good at three times the price? No, absolutely not, but that's completely missing the point. Squeezing that last bit of performance out of a monitor is expensive. But maybe that last bit is what you need - only you can decide that.

The monitor is the most critical piece of hardware you have (aside from lens and sensor), and it should be top priority. Go as high as you possibly can.

You basically have two choices: budget or high end. Your hp LP2475W is in the budget class, along with Dell U2413, Asus PA249Q, BenQ PG2401 and some others. These compete by packing as many on-paper high specs as possible at the lowest possible price. They will cut corners to reach those low prices while maintaining the on-paper specs. Make no mistake about that. There is no free lunch.

A true high-end unit is manufactured to meet certain absolute quality standards, and the price is secondary. The NEC PA242W and Eizo CG247/CX241 fall into this category. Aside from general panel performance, these models have a secret weapon: the integrated calibration software (Spectraview and Colornavigator). This is what turns an already great monitor into a reference-class display system, by giving you a level of control and precision the others aren't even close to.

At the moment I see only one model that tries to bridge these two, and that is the Eizo CS240. At $826 (B&H listing), this looks like the best quality/price ratio on the market today. And it has Colornavigator included (but no sensor). This would be my first recommendation, but if you can manage PA242 or CX241 that will take you another notch up.

Going all-out for an Eizo CG is a waste of money unless you do video on a pro level (or want the integrated sensor). I have a CG246 and a CX240 and for photography there is no practical difference between them.

The Asus is probably not a bad monitor, certainly as good or better as the by now somewhat outdated LP2475. But the Eizo CS240 (or up) is more monitor for your money.

Jim Metzger

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 09:42:28 am »

I had an issue with "clouds" on a NEC PA271w. NEC was great at replacing the monitor (I sent a photo of the problem to customer service). The new monitor was shipped before I sent back the old one, the new unit carried the balance of the original warranty with it. Problems do happen, good companies take care of them.

I replaced an ancient SONY Artisan with the NEC, it is terrific. I use SpectraviewII and an i1Display Pro for calibration.

Jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 01:47:25 pm »

Right SpectraView’s should have a 3-4 year warranty.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 04:47:31 pm »

5 years for an Eizo Coloredge  ;) 

It is limited to 30 000 hours - but in 5 years that still means 16 hours every day of the year.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 08:07:19 pm »

5 years for an Eizo Coloredge  ;)  

It is limited to 30 000 hours - but in 5 years that still means 16 hours every day of the year.

Not really - read the small letters ;)
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

tony field

• http://www.tphoto.ca
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 12:46:42 am »

You basically have two choices: budget or high end. Your hp LP2475W is in the budget class, along with Dell U2413, Asus PA249Q, BenQ PG2401 and some others. These compete by packing as many on-paper high specs as possible at the lowest possible price. They will cut corners to reach those low prices while maintaining the on-paper specs. Make no mistake about that. There is no free lunch.
At the moment I see only one model that tries to bridge these two, and that is the Eizo CS240. At $826 (B&H listing), this looks like the best quality/price ratio on the market today. And it has Colornavigator included (but no sensor). This would be my first recommendation, but if you can manage PA242 or CX241 that will take you another notch up.
The Asus is probably not a bad monitor, certainly as good or better as the by now somewhat outdated LP2475. But the Eizo CS240 (or up) is more monitor for your money.

Thanks friends for all of the replies.

Based on this information, I looked up the CS240 on the internet and, on the surface, it might be a better choice (I do like the 5 yr warranty).    I will call Eizo tomorrow.  They have an office in California but none in Canada.  I think the final decision will be based on price landed in Calgary, my home.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 04:35:00 am »

There's 5 years / 30000h warranty for the monitor, but only 3 years / 10000h (at a brightness not higher than recommended, usually 120cd/cd^2) warranty for the panel, so in case of the above mentioned delamination issues it doesn't really make a difference.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up