Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographers' New Year Resolutions: what's yours?  (Read 4124 times)

NancyP

Photographers' New Year Resolutions: what's yours?
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:46:30 pm »

To start things off, here's mine:
Digital asset management and post-processing
1. Lightroom user here - I need to seriously trim and organize the catalog, adding appropriate keywords, flagging/rating any particularly good photos, trashing duplicates, etc.
2. On-site backup daily. Off site hard disc swap more often - my off-site storage is a safe-deposit box.
3. Get comfortable with basics of Photoshop layer use, and then start trying methods of manual exposure blending. I just am not crazy about HDR results.
4. B&W conversions - venture beyond using Lr B&W presets
5. Print more!!!

Technique acquisition:
6. Flash / diffuser / reflector use outdoors (mostly as fill) and in macro settings (mostly as main). I need to learn to blend flash and ambient in an inconspicuous manner.
7. Light painting - experiment!

General photography:
8. Project! I haven't decided on one yet, but I need to pick a site or a theme and work the s**t out of it.
9. Site location: Continue working on covering the "60 hikes within 60 miles of St. Louis" book for identifying interesting landscape sites and their hiking time/driving time/ probable vantage points on compass.
10. Photo shoot list: eg, I want a particular (dark sky) site at moonless time for astro-landscape shot with some light painting/flash foreground work. Perseid meteor shower shoot, weather willing (moon favorable for 2015). And others.

General life:
11. Exercise more!! This will translate into more stamina for photo shoot hikes and less grumbling about kit weight  ;)
12. Camping skills
13. Better living and working space organization

shawnino

Re: Photographers' New Year Resolutions: what's yours?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 08:24:55 am »

1. Shoot my IR-converted camera more.
2. Have my fixed lens compact on me overtime I leave the house (battery charged...)
3. Try new things.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:12:58 am »

Keep on shooting.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 09:46:14 am »

My new Year Resolution for 2015 - Not to sit silent like an inanimate stuffed dummy when competition judges say something ignorant or just plain wrong. It is not fair on them to let them continue to think they are right when they are not.

My real pet hate (and I have heard two or three judges making the same mistake during my time with my camera club) is when they complain about a "horizon" not being level when there is no horizon in the image. Very few photographs actually have a horizon. A horizon only exists when the line of sight disappears due to the curvature of the Earth. You only get that in seascapes (or very, very large lakes) or on very expansive, very flat land such as salt-flats or deserts. In most landscapes, what some judges erroneously refer to as the "horizon" is actually the far shore of a loch, the other side of an estuary or the top of an area of raised land - and there is no earthly (literally) reason why those should be either level or horizontal.

Of course I won't be so rude as to make those points when they are talking about my entries - I'll rely upon someone else to do that!!

Happy New Year everyone.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:51:02 am »

Think less about equipment and more about art.

Colorado David

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

I have to make time to get out to shoot more for professional and personal satisfaction rather than just when someone is writing a check.  I have a couple of personal projects that always take a back seat to paying clients.  I still need to serve clients to the best of my ability, but I should put some emphasis on these projects.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 09:03:23 pm »

I don't have any resolutions. I got ideas on what needs to be done in 2015 / 16.  I'm still working on a few carryover projects from 2014.  

In late 2013 I had started on a project to honor the 50th anniversary of Ed Ruscha's Twenty-six Gasoline Stations project which was considered the first modern artists' book.

My homage...

http://twentysixroadkills.tumblr.com/

I'm working on placing the last 2 copies of Roadkills.

In late 2013 I also started work on the landmark Encyclopedia of Photographic and Fine Art Ink Jet Printing Media. Even with running 2 to 3 printers it proved to be a very time consuming project taking almost a year to finish the 72 hand printed books.

In Late 2014 I started to ship sets of the Encyclopedia. The first set went to the Center of Creative Photography.  The National Media Museum in the UK, which manages the Royal Photographic Societies collection, had tentatively accepted a set, but the $1000+ Fed-X delivery bill blew up the acquisition.

(nsfw)

http://encyclopediainkjetmedia.tumblr.com/

I am working on placing the remaining sets of the Encyclopedia.

In early 2014 I came out with another landmark artists' book. This one was on the topic of self-harm. - Cutters: There is nothing I hate more than myself.

Now, there are plenty of books on self-harm. But nothing that goes into the depth and scope that mine does when it comes to documenting cutting.  Have a couple of copies that need placement.

I had to put my Bikers' Mardi Gras project  on hold due to all the work with these two preceding projects. The book was completely shot, it was only a matter of putting it together, printing and binding. That is what I'm doing now. I have just finished a rough draft. I hope to have a maquette done by late January 2015.

(nsfw)

http://bikermardigras.tumblr.com/

Future book projects I started in 2014 going into 2015 / 16...

Whoop-Whoop

(nsfw)

http://familyicp.tumblr.com/

Circle (name pro tem)

Here is a sample page ...

(nsfw)

http://orderwomenlikepizza.tumblr.com/

Yum!

Doing anything worthwhile with photography is very tough nowadays. I am winding things up with my photography. I started to sell off some of my gear that I can do without. I've placed thousand of prints with most of  the major public collections around the world.  In fact, I probably hold the world record for placing the largest number of original prints with the largest number of public institutions in the shortest time length.

The problem is the institutions will not collect all of a photographers output. They will only collect a sampling of their entire output. (Unless they acquire the whole archive after the artist dies.) So in my case not much to do with more and more photos. I am a museum photographer and not a Flickr photog. If I can't place work with museums or large institutions it kidna put a damper on my interest.

I have enough projects to keep me busy for the next 2 to 3 years. So will see how things go. If you have freezing time in your blood, you must keep pressing the button. So one can only divorce photography so much from one's life. As it is now I have almost 2 years of material I have not looked through.  (No it is not from Eric Kims harebrained scheme to marinate them. I just don't have the time. ) The only time I will shoot now is if I have a worthwhile project that can lead to an artists' book or a portfolio / museum placement.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:11:07 pm by iluvmycam »

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:43:14 pm »

Fish like the devil, work like the Easter Bunny... ;D

mezzoduomo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:10:06 am »

24 MP? 300 DPI? 30 lines per millimeter?  :D
I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'resolutions'.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:28:02 am by mezzoduomo »

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 02:00:29 pm »

Avast and begone to the gear pages, O Wiseguy!    ;D   Although, I suppose I was just begging for that comment....

davidedric

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 02:12:55 pm »

See December 31st

mezzoduomo

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 05:31:06 pm »

Avast and begone to the gear pages, O Wiseguy!    ;D   Although, I suppose I was just begging for that comment....

;D ;D ;D ;D
I hope everyone has a healthy, productive, and prosperous 2015.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 05:42:25 pm »

To start things off, here's mine:
1. Lightroom user here - I need to seriously trim and organize the catalog, adding appropriate keywords, flagging/rating any particularly good photos, trashing duplicates, etc.
2. On-site backup daily. Off site hard disc swap more often - my off-site storage is a safe-deposit box.
3. Get comfortable with basics of Photoshop layer use, and then start trying methods of manual exposure blending. I just am not crazy about HDR results.
4. B&W conversions - venture beyond using Lr B&W presets
5. Print more!!!
6. Flash / diffuser / reflector use outdoors (mostly as fill) and in macro settings (mostly as main). I need to learn to blend flash and ambient in an inconspicuous manner.
7. Light painting - experiment!
8. Project! I haven't decided on one yet, but I need to pick a site or a theme and work the s**t out of it.
9. Site location: Continue working on covering the "60 hikes within 60 miles of St. Louis" book for identifying interesting landscape sites and their hiking time/driving time/ probable vantage points on compass.
10. Photo shoot list: eg, I want a particular (dark sky) site at moonless time for astro-landscape shot with some light painting/flash foreground work. Perseid meteor shower shoot, weather willing (moon favorable for 2015). And others.
11. Exercise more!! This will translate into more stamina for photo shoot hikes and less grumbling about kit weight  ;)
12. Camping skills
13. Better living and working space organization

Wow! What a hefty list! Any of these will work for me, but #11 is where I'm starting.
~ CB

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 05:15:43 am »

- Make more time to be at the right place when it matters,
- Optimize the usage of the amazing equipment I already own, sell what I have no obvious need for and stop buying stuff that I may only need some day,
- Continue to build up a set of portfolios on some themes.

Cheers,
Bernard

NancyP

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 11:20:23 am »

Well, some of the hefty list is stuff I would do anyway - the exercise, which is to get me in better shape for hiking and packing, and trying more places in the "60 hikes within 60 miles" book. The book is part of a series with different cities, so l highly recommend looking up your town and getting the pertinent book. Best 16 bucks that I have ever spent!
https://www.menasharidge.com/pages.php?pageid=6   a list of the series.
Unfortunately today isn't the day to explore - raining, dreary, and I am on call anyway.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 01:57:55 pm »

Just get on with taking photos and let the images speak for themselves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up