Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses for Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Death Valley, Mojave  (Read 1139 times)

Alexis Alvarez

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/madame_suzuki
Lenses for Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Death Valley, Mojave
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:35:12 pm »

I'm off to Las Vegas, was planning to take my 17-35mm wide angle lens. Should I take the 28-100mm or the 70-300mm, or both?

mouse

Re: Lenses for Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Death Valley, Mojave
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:07:40 pm »

I do a lot of landscape photography.  The two focal lengths I consider essential (for 35mm format) are wide angle (35mm or less) and telephoto (180mm or more).  Unlike many landscape photographers I find myself using the tele at least as often as the wide.

The great blessing of today's high MP sensors is that I can leave all the intermediate length lenses at home.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:11:33 pm by mouse »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »

Definitely both!

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 08:44:25 pm »

Take them all!

When I'm out there, I use this range and even longer and shorter. Don't limit yourself to one end or another since the scenery is dynamic and not just a wide, medium or long kind of place, especially if this is a rare trip for you.

Also, if you have but one lens, if you to suffer a glitch, you'll wish you had back-up for your now electronic "brick". A second lens at a minimum is SOP along with a second body and extra batteries and media cards.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 05:33:02 pm »

I'm off to Las Vegas, was planning to take my 17-35mm wide angle lens. Should I take the 28-100mm or the 70-300mm, or both?

I carry the 16-35mm, 24-70 and 70-200 most outings.  On those areas, if I had to be without one of them, I would probably say the 24-70 is what I would leave out, but I would probably be unhappy because I start with that lens and move on when it doesn't fulfill the need.  You can usually find interesting ways to work an area with the focal lengths you do have available and you can always work around situations like taking multi shot images to get wider.  And depending on your camera body, cropping can help getting out further.  I recommend diopters or (i have the Nikon 5T and 6T) and/or extension for close up opportunities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up