Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facade Revealed  (Read 3657 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Facade Revealed
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »

Comments and Critiques? Live or Die?
One Day At A Time

Johnny_Johnson

Re: Facade Revealed
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »

I like it Todd. An interesting contrast in colors, shapes and textures. It reminds me of some of the photographs by Chip Simone that have been exhibited at the Jackson Fine Art gallery in Buckhead.

Later,
Johnny

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:36:25 am »

I like it, too. Order vs. Chaos, left to right. Definitely a keeper.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:42:51 am »

Yes a keeper. An image that is worth examining for detail and I suspect an image that could be rendered in more than one way, including B&W.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:07:06 am »

I like it, too. Order vs. Chaos, left to right. Definitely a keeper.

I prefere the chaos, fresh and mighty, the order seem old and tired, it has lost the game.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:31:21 am »

It's at least equally chaotic in B&W. Grand shot, Todd.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:51:54 am »

I prefere the chaos, fresh and mighty, the order seem old and tired, it has lost the game.
Me too. If I had been there I probably would have focused on just the chaos side. But by including the window it seems to me that Todd is making a stronger statement. Yes, the Chaos side is much more interesting than the Order side.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »

Thanks all for the input. It took many, many trials with my shots of this house before I became comfortable with this image of it.  Many of those were b&w too (see RSL's rendering).  Any feelings about that amongst you guys? My feelings were that the warmth of the setting sun contributes to the affect so I went with color....

And again, thanks for your help -t
One Day At A Time

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »

Both versions work very well. I'd pick the color version because of the really ugly color to cover a house. Makes me think that the house finally had enough and was peeling it off.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »

Both versions work very well. I'd pick the color version because of the really ugly color to cover a house. Makes me think that the house finally had enough and was peeling it off.
LOL Agreed
One Day At A Time

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 10:48:05 am »

My feelings were that the warmth of the setting sun contributes to the affect so I went with color....
Great image. I think the b/w treatment works very well, but having seen the color version, I think you nailed it all the way around.

mediumcool

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 11:20:50 am »

Hi again Todd.

The façade shot is interesting, in part when one tries to imagine how it got to look like it does; so it adds to the narrative to supply location, and any other meaningful information for context.

As stated in another post, I am obsessive about rectilinearity, so I have straightened the shot in PS, and reduced some pincushion distortion. This has affected the crop, and I have done some more to remove distractions (vertical object on RHS and cloth, and the stuff at the top). I believe it makes for a more-focused composition. Seemed to be some pincushion distortion, which I have tried to correct.

FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 10:40:32 pm »

Hi again Todd.

The façade shot is interesting, in part when one tries to imagine how it got to look like it does; so it adds to the narrative to supply location, and any other meaningful information for context.

As stated in another post, I am obsessive about rectilinearity, so I have straightened the shot in PS, and reduced some pincushion distortion. This has affected the crop, and I have done some more to remove distractions (vertical object on RHS and cloth, and the stuff at the top). I believe it makes for a more-focused composition. Seemed to be some pincushion distortion, which I have tried to correct.

I see your point and will re-visit the shots to see if I can correct the perspective issues without loosing some of the image. A part I liked about it was the way the conduit pipe extended and continued the curved line of the peeling vinyl back down to the meter. That trumps the perspective in my taste. I will see what I have to work with in other images. Now I wish I had stood on a stump or something to shoot less upward at it.  Then I could have had my cake and eat it too! Thanks again, -t

PS: I have no context that explains what happened to the poor house, -no idea; didn't know such was possible. As for location, just roaming around shooting in Birmingham, Alabama. When I am in "old" towns, I always try to find the neighborhoods on the "other side of the tracks". They are much more interesting to me. The oldest areas are always next to the railroad line or river as they are always the first established.

The house age was around turn of the century as evidenced by the hand hewn original siding used and other architectural features of the house not visible here. It had clearly been abandoned for some time
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:49:27 pm by Todd Suttles »
One Day At A Time

mediumcool

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 01:30:02 am »

The house age was around turn of the century as evidenced by the hand hewn original siding used and other architectural features of the house not visible here. It had clearly been abandoned for some time

So not a fixer-upper? ;D
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 09:31:00 am »

A part I liked about it was the way the conduit pipe extended and continued the curved line of the peeling vinyl back down to the meter. That trumps the perspective in my taste.
Great point. Always trust your gut.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 12:36:02 pm »

Todd - very interesting image...good eyes....I like looking at this one. Re. color...the green color (along with the pale orange and purples) really makes it...b/w does nothing for it.  Sometimes it's worth trying to "correct" perspectival and parallelism issues with the Adaptive Wide Angle filter in PS. E.g., after you first iteration you might try using it to make horizontal the weatherboard lines in the upper right quadrant (this bother me a little as they slope downward to right)...and the window line elements both vertical and horizontal. Nice one, B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 12:41:03 pm »

Sometimes it's worth trying to "correct" perspectival and parallelism issues with the Adaptive Wide Angle filter in PS. E.g., after you first iteration you might try using it to make horizontal the weatherboard lines in the upper right quadrant (this bother me a little as they slope downward to right)...and the window line elements both vertical and horizontal. Nice one, B

I will do that, thanks Brandt
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up