Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympic National Park Scenic Locations  (Read 3199 times)

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net
Olympic National Park Scenic Locations
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:37:36 pm »

The wife and I are looking to spend two days this weekend taking photographs in the Olympic National Park. We are a four + hour drive from Portland and would like suggestions for those that live near there as to scenic locations that are accessible this time of year.

mshea

Re: Olympic National Park Scenic Locations
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:37:08 pm »

I've only been there in July, but I'd say you should explore Rialto and Ruby beaches, especially at low tide. Chances are, they'll be pretty socked in, but there are still lots of possibilities, like the massive amounts of driftwood at Rialto. Also the Hoh Rainforest, which is best on overcast days.

Merrill

rmyers

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:02:20 pm »

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/olympic/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5379104

Hoh Rainforest is a must do to me.  Been there several times though never in winter.  The waterfall on the Hoh trail is about a 3 or 3.5 mile fairly easy hike.

Beaches are great.  There are sea mounts off shore and the driftwood as mentioned.

I was there for a week one summer and never did get a sun set on the beach.  The sun would shine some days and I would go down to the beach and pick a place to set up.  Then the clouds or fog would move in just before sun set.  Even without the sunset, it is an amazing place.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:05:53 pm by rmyers »

Jglaser757

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:06:44 pm »

2nd Beach is my fav,,about a 1/4 mile up hill,,BOTH WAYS..hahah...Hoh rain forest was awesome(better on a cloudy overcast day.

What out for the surf,,time your visit during low tide...

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:07:20 pm »

If you are from Portland then you are aware of sneaker waves in the winter.  I never get on NW beaches at low tide in winter unless I have a spotter that has his eye on the water while I'm photographing. Summer when offshore seas are calmer is much safer for low tide explorations.

mshea

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:21:50 pm »

Yes, definitely Second Beach. I think this shot was at Second Beach.

Merrill

araz

• Araz Jakalian Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:20:58 am »

I know I'm a bit late...

Since you will be driving north, you can visit Ruby beach and the Hoh Rainforest first. Then go to Forks and from there go to Second Beach and Rialto Beach. If you still have time, then Sol Duc is amazing but further away.

I wrote a book called How To Photograph Olympic National Park and it's geared for the first time visitor to the park.

Take care,

Araz
Pages: [1]   Go Up