Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax lenses on eBay for 645z  (Read 4730 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Pentax lenses on eBay for 645z
« on: December 28, 2014, 08:37:20 pm »

Hi folks, wondering if anyone has any first hand experience...I see a ton of 645 lenses (newish autofocus ones) listed from Japan on eBay. Ay sense of why so many from there and if they can be trusted? Other issues? Most of the sellers seem to have a significant number of highly rated transactions.

barihunk

Re: Pentax lenses on eBay for 645z
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 09:06:44 pm »

I don't have any firsthand information about that situation, but as far as I've read (before I decided against the 645z) Pentax is very popular in Japan hence the increased supply.

Apparently most Japanese camera stores are trustworthy, but my one experience with a Japanese camera store (with a 99.5% positive rating, relatively fine) buying a Rollei lens was a negative one. The price was on the low side of reasonable but the lens was described as being 100% functional. What the seller did not note was that there was oil all over the internals, and the shutter blades were damaged. I complained and got a small partial refund, which did not even cover all of the repair cost.

Anyways, long story short, I'm happily using the lens (when I do) but definitely buyer beware - they charge significant shipping (which is reasonable but which you will never get back) and returns are often uneconomical, so if issues come up one is sometimes SOL.

I'm not sure the savings are significant enough unless it is a hard to find lens, but if you find a trustworthy seller let me know. There's a lot of glass in Japanese stores that does look great, for many cameras.

derAngler

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:22:19 am »

I also had a bad experience with a japanese ebay seller who is located near the Shinjuku area in Tokyo. He sold me a used Pentax 150mm 2.8 FA lens and in the description of the auction it was written that the lens would be in perfect condition. On the pictures you could see a japanese female model who was holding the lens with white gloves on. When I got the lens it had a large fungus spot behind the front element of the lens even he guaranteed me that there would be no fungus inside the lens.
Another time I had a problem with Yahoo auctions Japan which is the Japanese version of ebay. I got a used  Pentax 35mm A from there and this time the lens had a problem with the aperture ring which was also not mentioned in the description. I would be very cautious with buying used lenses from Japan.

Scotty-S

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:18:39 pm »

As a general rule I have found most Japan sellers to be just fine.

I have bought the Pentax A35mm, FA 80-160, FA 150mm and FA 300mm f/4 all from Japan and can't really complain.

Having since bought the new 28-45 and 90mm I am now selling the 80-160 and the 300mm.  PM me if you are keen.

Don't be too afraid to buy from the Japan stores, they need the feedback on eBay so are more than happy to help if you are not happy.

Scott

leeonmaui

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:37 pm »

Aloha,

I have purchased many items from overseas camera stores, I have always gotten what the seller said.
Some of these stores carry new in box 645 lenses.
Also another shop I have had good results with is http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/

Terry Cooney

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 06:02:12 am »

As to the number of newish lenses listed, I believe many are made in Vietnam (and are still being made) as opposed to Japan. The Japanese versions have 'Made in Japan' on the top of the lens with its serial number, whereas the Vietnamese-produced versions have the serial and origin on the lens mount.

Canon Bob

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 11:46:13 am »

I recently purchased some 645 bits from an Ebay seller in Japan and, like the OP, wondered about the wisdom of dealing across frontiers. Unfortunately there was a problem with my order (a simple human error) but the seller immediately went above and beyond anything that I expected to resolve the issue....can't speak highly enough based on my experience. Goes by the name of  << japan_camera_store >> on Ebay.

I'm sure that that are many others with equal or similar "trading morals" too.

Bob

Gel

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:04:57 pm »

Tincheungcamera are hella expensive.

Japanese sellers are very honourable to the point they won't fiddle the customs forms for tax. It's important to use someone with good feedback but otherwise I've had no issues.

I just need to find someone in Tokyo who take card payments and can ship me a 645z

the_ether

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:06:16 pm »

I just received a 2nd hand 645 FA 45-85mm lens from Japan. What can I say, I got a free (new!) Hello Kitty pencil case with it. (Or maybe it's a makeup bag?) A pink one! Can't wait to show my friends. I'd definitely recommend the seller as a result :-)

He posted the lens within hours of me paying. It arrived in the UK very quickly but then spent a long time being processed by customs. All told it was around two weeks for delivery.

Not used it (the lens that is, not tried the pencil case / make up bag) in anger yet. Seems fine. Obviously used but very clean and front and back lens caps and shield are here. I can't see a blemish inside the lens and it seems to work okay on my 645z - at least so far. My main concern is how well it focuses. Will post here if I find problems with the lens - or my pencil case develops problems of course. Hope that pink colour doesn't run in the rain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up