Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax 645  (Read 17923 times)

hubell

Contax 645
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 09:04:08 pm »

I am sorry, but this is pure wishful thinking and self-deception, as you unconsciously imply by repeated use of the word "believe". It is absolutely clear that the Contax 645 camera was a project of Kyocera, as were all Contax 35mm format cameras for many years. It is almost as clear that teh mediumf format sector has shrunk so that there wil not be any economic rationale or prospect for yet another ne systm from Zeiss or anyone else. The current two active 645 AF systems, Mamiya and Fuji (marketed as Hasselblad outside Japan), are enough, and maybe even more than enough for current and future demand.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is probably even worse. If Mamiya fails with its ZD, a distinct possibility given Kodak's experience with the 14N and Kodak knew a LOT more than Mamiya about digital imaging, Mamiya's future becomes very tenuous. Mamiya probably should have hooked up with Leaf or Phase as Hasselblad did with Imacon rather than trying to go on its own. Perhaps it will yet happen.

BJL

Contax 645
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 07:21:41 pm »

Mamiya probably should have hooked up with Leaf or Phase as Hasselblad did with Imacon rather than trying to go on its own. Perhaps it will yet happen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mamiya does seem to have some kind of an arrangement with Leaf/Creo, so those two might be working together, a bit like Fuji is working with Imacon to design and make the 645AF products marketed as the Hasselblad H system. But Fuji has far more resources than Mamiya, and Creo is now owned by Kodak, while the ZD uses Dalsa sensors, so Mamiya's future is certainly full of uncertainties and need for change.

johnkohl

Contax 645
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 09:45:33 pm »

I am sorry, but this is pure wishful thinking and self-deception, as you unconsciously imply by repeated use of the word "believe". It is absolutely clear that the Contax 645 camera was a project of Kyocera, as were all Contax 35mm format cameras for many years. It is almost as clear that teh mediumf format sector has shrunk so that there wil not be any economic rationale or prospect for yet another ne systm from Zeiss or anyone else. The current two active 645 AF systems, Mamiya and Fuji (marketed as Hasselblad outside Japan), are enough, and maybe even more than enough for current and future demand.
[COLOR=blue
I don't think this is wishfull thinking on my part, but why does Zeiss continue to mention the Contax line in their web page and their newsletter.  In business if they have a contract with Kyocera, then they have a contract.  I believe what they are saying, and can't spill  the beans about their future(and I'm talking about Zeiss).  I can't believe they wouldn't even mention this in their newsletter.  I made a mistake on the newsletter, it was number 22.  I don't look to see anything for a couple of years, but most likely as a digital camera, made by another manufacturer which will take our Zeiss lens.

My other thought is if there is no money to be made, then why did Zeiss come out with the new Zeiss Ikon?  I know, it is made by someone else, but it is a new entry in the 35mm rangefinder market.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Contax 645
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 08:55:29 am »

[COLOR=blue
I don't think this is wishfull thinking on my part, but why does Zeiss continue to mention the Contax line in their web page and their newsletter.

Who knows? It may be as simple as they've just not gotten around to taking down irrelevant pages on their site. Or they are still moving the last remnants of their inventory from the pipeline. It's a slender reed upon which to make assumptions about the future of this fine camera in parlous economic times for medium format.

Like Eleanor, I'm heavily invested in the Contax 645, and I'm as partisan a Contax admirer as you'll find. It's a splendid camera, and I'd love to believe either the camera line, or its excellent lenses, have some sort of future other than in my loving hands.

But I'm also a realist. I have a lot of sunk cost in my system, and I'm happy with its current performance (film) and I'm looking at purchasing a digital back of some type for it. But always in my considerations I'm hedging against certain eventualities: availability of service and parts, Kyocera/ToCAD's "10 year service" guarantees notwithstanding; availability of crucial system accessories; and mostly, existence of an acceptable digital back at a price I can afford at some time within the next five years.

If my film scanner dies, or my Jobo dies, given the costs to replace either of those with comparable equipment, I have to consider whether it makes sense to continue to invest in analog-based equipment when that $ would put me well along to the cost of a digital back, or an all-digital MF system (assuming the Mamiya or Pentax systems ever see the light of day.)

It's a confusing time, but a promising time, for medium format, while all of this shakes out.
michael sebast

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
Contax 645
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 10:30:43 am »

The current two active 645 AF systems, Mamiya and Fuji (marketed as Hasselblad outside Japan), are enough, and maybe even more than enough for current and future demand.

I am sorry, but that is not enough for me.  I'd still like to see the Contax 645 return with new possibilities.  I find it superior to both the Mamiya and Hassy, and it would be stronger in the marketplace with its superior Zeiss lenses than Mamiya and the potential Pentax entry.  And I, as many others, prefer it to the Hassy, who appears to be the sector leader, if only by default.

Rather than just accept Mamiya and Hassy as the only 2 providers in the market, I would like to see Pentax and Contax continue to provide choice and to ensure that the best systems do survive, rather than suffer premature, unwarranted and capricious (perhaps even vindictive) termination.

vgogolak

• http://
Contax 645
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 11:23:52 am »

As many have said here, there is an adequate supply of Contax 645 and lenses (except 350mm) for a long time. Added to the hasselblad lens pssibilities, It is hardly worth worrying and I will certainly not be selling.

As far as Schnieder and Rodenstock lenses, I an thinking ALPA TC (for size) with wides for terkking. Does anyone know if a Sch/Rod to Contax adapter is avaiabble? The registration distance should make possible.

regards
victor
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up