Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is HP abandoning the photo printer market?  (Read 3407 times)

tsjanik

Is HP abandoning the photo printer market?
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:53:52 am »

I'm looking for a larger printer and am considering Canon and HP.  My printing is infrequent and based on forum posts I've seen, HP might be the printer best suited for periods of inactivity. I've found that many vendors* list the Z3200 as discontinued or have some indication of limited availability and yet I was able to order sample prints from HP.  This is somewhat confusing.  Anyone have any insights into HPs plans?

*e.g., http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615005-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_Q6718A_Designjet_Z3200_24_Large.html

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Is HP abandoning the photo printer market?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:05:32 am »

Tom, in this kind of circumstance, I don't think the word "abandoning" would be a practical way of viewing what would matter to you if you were to buy this printer. Were it me, I would be interested in two things: (1) if it breaks for how much longer will there be competent affordable repair and spare parts, and (2) for how much longer will HP supply the inks and replacement heads? I think these manufacturers normally provide a long period of consumables availability even after the machines themselves are discontinued, and most likely the same can be said for repairs and spare parts, but on the latter, some research is best advised. I would recommend calling HP directly for a discussion about this and hear what they say. Also poke around for third-party service outlets and call a few of them.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:20:57 am »

Pretty sure all the non-PS (postscript) printers have been discontinued.

Google Z3200ps 24" and you'll find several available.

This is definitely THE printer to get if you plan to leave it for long periods.

Just make sure you leave it ON.

Sure hope HP is going to continue making these.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I needed another one.

B+H does have the Z3200ps in stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/878349-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_q6720bb1k_Designjet_Z3200PS_24_Photo.html

You're better off with the ps version anyway.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:24:06 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 03:01:36 pm »

what is the difference from leaving it on or turning it off. And how long of intervals/days is starting to get on the side of clog dry up danger?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »

I'm looking for a larger printer and am considering Canon and HP.  My printing is infrequent and based on forum posts I've seen, HP might be the printer best suited for periods of inactivity. I've found that many vendors* list the Z3200 as discontinued or have some indication of limited availability and yet I was able to order sample prints from HP.  This is somewhat confusing.  Anyone have any insights into HPs plans?

I own the HP z3100 and the Canon ipf8300. No brainer for me: I would go with the Canon over the HP. These days I mostly use the HP for backup, some black-and-white photo printing, and for using the APS to build profiles for the Canon. Everything about the Canon is better and faster and unlike HP, I'm pretty certain Canon is in the pro photo printing game to stay. HP also discontinued twin packs of the inks for the HP z3100 and z3200 so the ink costs more. Factor that in and I think you come out cheaper inkwise with the Canon just running a print through it if you don't use it for 5 days or so. Not sure what infrequent printing means for you, but if you are not printing something at least once or twice a week, my advice is print something once or twice a week anyway with either of these printers. Otherwise, you really don't need either one and will be better off outsourcing your occasional prints.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:20:11 pm by Roscolo »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 07:40:49 pm »

If you're willing to commit to running it every few days an Epson x900 comes back into consideration, but from Tom's post, didn't seem he wants any more of that.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

tsjanik

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:26:46 pm »

Thanks for the replies gentleman.  Abandon perhaps was too strong a word, but I was unable to find many resellers offering a Z3200 at a specified price, in marked contrast to an Epson or Canon printer.  I know that HP is a major printer manufacturer, yet I had gotten the impression that photo printing is not an important component.
I print one or two times a week, typically 1-3 prints at a time; however, sometimes I may go 2-3 weeks without a print.  Outsourcing may be the logical path, but the printing process is too big a part of why I enjoy photography.  Mark (Segal) is aware of my issues with a 4900.  The last year, it seems I've spent as much time and effort clearing clogs as I have printing - hence my interest in HP or Canon.

Tom

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 02:31:01 am »

I'm in much the same likes as you Tom. No more Epson for me, and once i finish this one large project, I don't think I will be printing so frequently. That's why I looked for a clean low miles used z3200. Converting to postscript is not as costly as I thought, so it is an option if needed. But true it is best to get one with PS...particularly if still expecting to use warranty on a new or fairly new unit..
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 06:35:50 am »

HP is splitting itself into two companies: one focused on PCs and Printers and the other on corporate hardware, software and services.   This was announced back in October so expect at least a year before we see any impact on the product lines.  The printer segment financial results make me nervous:

FY13 - full year:
Printing revenue of $23.9 billion fell 3% year over year
Its operating margins increases from 14.6% to 16.3%
Personal systems revenue of $32 billion fell 10% year over year
Its operating margin fell from 4.7% to 3.0%

3Qtrs of FY14:
Printer revenue of $17.2 billion was down 3% year over year
Its operating margins increased to 18.2% for the first nine months
Personal systems revenue of $25.4 billion increased 8% year over year
Its operating margin increased to 3.6% for the first nine months

I wouldn't expect any price cuts in the near future.   This operating margin has to be a reflection on the consumer segment, which they may wish to evaluate over this next year.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 08:11:01 am »

I'm looking for a larger printer and am considering Canon and HP.  My printing is infrequent and based on forum posts I've seen, HP might be the printer best suited for periods of inactivity. I've found that many vendors* list the Z3200 as discontinued or have some indication of limited availability and yet I was able to order sample prints from HP.  This is somewhat confusing.  Anyone have any insights into HPs plans?

*e.g., http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615005-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_Q6718A_Designjet_Z3200_24_Large.html

HP tends to keep a good running (market) printer long in the catalog, see for example the Designjet 130 or the Designjets 5000 and 5500. The other models of the same generation may disappear. Given the R&D done already and little effort needed to keep them afloat, while there is still demand, I can understand that marketing approach. The same heads are still used in another model Z5400 and there are still Z3100/Z2100/Z5200/B9180/B8850 in use that need new heads from time to time. More printers than mentioned here rely on the Vivera pigment ink production, Z6200, Z6400 and more.

2 years ago the same question was raised in this forum and I was thinking that a switch to Canon would be needed in time. Strange enough I become more confident that when my Z3200 PS goes belly up a new Z3200 PS will replace it. The hassle of recreating the same prints with a new printer model is something I do not look forward to.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:12:54 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 08:22:26 am »

I wouldn't expect any price cuts in the near future.   This operating margin has to be a reflection on the consumer segment, which they may wish to evaluate over this next year.
Printer manufacturers make money selling ink, not printers.  If the HP large format printer base stays large, they will continue to manufacture ink sets as that is a low cost high margin business that requires little support.  If they begin to see ink sales drop off for certain models that's when you begin to worry.  As far as I know, Epson continues to manufacture ink sets for most/all of their photo printers that have been manufactured and sold over the past 8-10 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up