Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foveon Full Frame  (Read 2730 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Foveon Full Frame
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:55:06 pm »

I want a foveon that is at least full frame and preferably the size of the Leica S2. I have been printing some shots I took with my SD-1 and they look great. I am using Qimage and they require very little deep focus sharpening and I set the output sharpening to 1. The 16x24`s look great. I have been thinking of converting it to Nikon mount so I can use the Zeiss Otus series lenses!
Mike

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Foveon Full Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 06:48:40 pm »

I want a foveon that is at least full frame and preferably the size of the Leica S2. I have been printing some shots I took with my SD-1 and they look great. I am using Qimage and they require very little deep focus sharpening and I set the output sharpening to 1. The 16x24`s look great. I have been thinking of converting it to Nikon mount so I can use the Zeiss Otus series lenses!
Mike

The big advantage of the DP is that the lenses which you get "for free" are quite incredible, you should try one. They cost 1O% or so of the price of an Otus.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 04:36:01 am »

I want a foveon that is at least full frame and preferably the size of the Leica S2.

Hi Mike,

I think that is unlikely to happen. The reason is that the Foveon sensor depends on the travel distance through silicon to progressively filter the wavelengths in R/G/B bands, and oblique rays (as in the corners of larger sensors) are therefore a color shift problem because they have longer travel distance through silicon than perpendicular rays. I'm not saying it would be impossible to do, but it would require a huge amount of processing capability that would drain batteries and heat up the camera.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Fine_Art

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 01:20:18 pm »

Maybe they can license sony's curved sensor tech.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:01:19 pm »

The curved sensor is a thought....or, microlenses.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 10:27:28 pm »

Ever since Foveon appeared on the scene, I've been waiting for their full-frame sensor. If it hasn't happened now, will it ever?

Their attempt at a 'blad had an impressive press release from Hasselblad:
President and CEO of Victor Hasselblad AB, Göran Bernhoff, said of the cooperation, "We see Foveon as a very strong partner in the development of a photographic solution that will bring our customers the image quality they have been accustomed to in conventional film, also in the digital field. We see this as a first step in a fruitful cooperation where we combine the capabilities of our respective companies that will result in a series of compelling products for our customers."

And remember their v2 model?

~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up