Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5.7 shows lens of Fuji X100S as "unknown lens"  (Read 2738 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
LR 5.7 shows lens of Fuji X100S as "unknown lens"
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:41:23 am »

I recently purchased a Fuji X100S. When I download my raw files to LR 5.7, the "Lens" section of the metadata search shows "unknown lens." The "Focal Length" column shows 23mm. All my other lenses, those for my Fuji X T-1 and for my Nikon D800E show the name and focal length. Also the EXIF data fails to show the camera serial number for both of my Fuji cameras.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks for any help.

Eric

Robert55

Re: LR 5.7 shows lens of Fuji X100S as "unknown lens"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:37:45 am »

There was a discussion recently on dpr and we could not find the camera profiles. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54879205 , maybe lens profiles [especially for a fixed lens camera] is a similar case, perhaps Lr somehow reads them from Fuji's exif data.

As for the serial #: AFAIK Fuji does [unfortunately] not record that in an exif field that [third party] software can access. Would be useful to keep files from same models apart. Seems only Nikon and Canon do this, maybe only on their high end models.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:56:55 am by Robert55 »

jarnoh

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:27:39 pm »

X100S does not record lens information into EXIF, so Lightroom doesn't know that it is actually a fixed lens :)

Doesn't really have anything to do with color profiles being hidden inside Lightroom binaries, and the automatic lens profile correction seems to work ok.

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:13:58 am »

I would assume that LR reads the EXIF for the focal length and applies whatever it applies by reading that value - the X100s has a fixed, non-removable 23mm focal length (35mm effective) lens, so the focal length defines the lens.  Looking at the manual for the X100s, it is the same as the X100 (a camera I own) - if you attach the wide angle adapter (a separate optic that screws onto the front of the lens body) the camera shoots at an effective focal length of 28mm.  To make the camera aware of the attachment, there is a menu option to enable "Wide Conversion Lens > ON" - presumably, this signals the camera to write "18mm" (if I recall - I think the wide angle converter is 0.8x) into the EXIF instead of "23mm."  Again, the focal length tag defines the "lens" completely.

Because the focal lengths in the exif completely define the lens used, there is probably no need to write EXIF fields for the lens.  You can always add lens tags to the EXIF with Exiftool, etc. if you need to have the lens fields populated:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/EXIF.html

kirk
Pages: [1]   Go Up