Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: mid range photo surface papers and OBAs  (Read 11109 times)

Ernst Dinkla

Re: mid range photo surface papers and OBAs
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 09:25:12 am »

I'm now also looking at the Red River Palo Duro Satin..  I think a relatively newer paper.  Though a RC it supposedly is a warmer-toned, low OBA content paper.   Could potentially meet a coated low OBA criteria.     Has anyone tried this paper yet?

A long time ago Red River on their own initiative sent me a box with samples of their papers, will try to get more recent media samples. It could help of course when buyers of their papers make them aware again.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: mid range photo surface papers and OBAs
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 10:53:35 am »

Hi Jeff,

I know - different strokes for different folks - literally in this case - but I never got any jollies from feeling the back of prints. The only things that matter to me are what the photo looks like and whether it will endure. So for me in this case there is zero trade-off between the feel of the paper and the high cost and inconvenience of using it. With an Epson 4900 one can't see evidence of paper dust where it would matter most, and no, looking at what one can see, I don't - but this is perhaps inconsequential because we are dealing with nozzles that are smaller than human hairs, so I suspect that sub-visible particulates could mess them up. Anyhow, this is a hypothesis based on circumstantial evidence of two highly unusual coincidental factors: use of this paper and clogging mid session. It could be something else altogether. No way of knowing.

I did a similar test as Mark with the same papers - CIBP vs Platine. You can read my summary here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=96705.msg790584#msg790584

What is really interesting, although again anecdotal, is that I had more clogs last week on my 7900 while doing this test than I've ever had before! I was attributing it to the recent cold weather and presumably dry air in the house now. But now that I'm back to printing on CIBP, the clogs are gone for the most part (hey, it is still a 7900).

Weird.

Dave

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up