Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Living with the Fuji X-T1  (Read 24807 times)

moolgavkar

Re: Living with the Fuji X-T1
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 11:17:11 am »

Yes. I set the right toggle switch on the Olympus to position 2, which allows control of ISO (front wheel) and white balance (rear wheel). With the camera to my eye or in live mode, I use the front wheel to adjust ISO until I get the exposure I want. This is useful, for example, in backlit situations, in which I can dial in the amount of exposure compensation I like using ISO with shutter speed and aperture fixed. Obviously, the same work-around could be used on the XT-1 if the ISO dial could be easily moved with the left thumb. This is not possible because the button has to be simultaneously pushed in.

If you have a work-around for the XT-1 I would like to know what it is. The exposure compensation dial does not appear to work when aperture and shutter speed are set (unlike Sony).

Best,

Suresh

bengeo

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 11:38:34 am »

Thanks Suresh - an interesting option! I'd still like to be able to set all 3 options and then use Exposure Compensation too.

Andy

moolgavkar

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 01:05:56 pm »

Andy,

I don't think that would be possible. At least one of the three has to change as you do exposure compensation.

Suresh

Manoli

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »

In other words, you can shoot in manual mode with your choice of shutter speed and aperture and still use the exposure compensation dial to increase or decrease exposure. This feature is not available on the XT-1 to my knowledge.

You can adjust EC by +/- 2/3 of a stop in manual mode (in 1/3 increments) . At least on the X-E1 & 2 you can - should be the same on the X-T1.

01af

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 02:08:57 pm »

Anyone cares to comment the recommendation of Photo Ninja for Fujifilm X-Trans raw files?

Earnster

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 03:22:06 pm »

It is good as a processor but not necessarily as a workflow tool.
I have tried Lightroom, Irident Developer and Photo Ninja with C1 coming next.
They all show differences, but the two areas with the ACR processing in LR and ACR are sharpness (you need to whack the detail slider to 100 as shown here http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/) and that certainly improves things.
The other area is OOF foliage which can look plasticy)

Irident Developer gets good results. I'd need more time with Photo Ninja but my trial runs out tomorrow.

AlfSollund

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 06:10:18 pm »

Thanks for an entertaining X-T1 article,

I would however consider Kevin to tone down the sales pitch just a little. As is now I found the enthusiasm a bit overwhelming, and get suspicious when the reviewer cannot fault a product in any way and see no room for improvement.

Imo Kevin is very good at conveying the photo pleasure. So please keep up the good work and dont let the naysayers (as myself  ;)) get to you! 
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 07:57:57 pm »

Thanks for the nice comments.  Yes, I do have enthusiasm. It's a feature and benefit.  If I don't like a camera or find fault I do report it.  Read the Sigma DP2 article from a few months ago.  And, with the X-T1 I found fault and I mentioned it in the article with not having a histogram after the exposure and lousy HDR capabilities.  I have been fortunate lately to work with two very nice cameras the Olympus EM-1 and the X-T1.  Both are solid performers.  When a camera has its faults you'll hear about.  When a camera makes it fun to take pictures and in the end delivers the image you'll hear about it as you did in the Fuji X-T1 article. 

I'm shooting the Sony A 7 II now and I do find some faults with it.  But some real nice things too.  I'll do a report on it after working with it and the Fuji in Antarctica.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 08:14:35 am »

Thanks for the ongoing reviews of mirrorless systems.  I too have been looking closely at these as an addition/replacement to my Nikon system but have thus far not jumped in for one.  It will be interesting to see how the new Samsung camera and system turn out when they get wider use.  I like the camera weight to performance aspect with these but it's going to be a significant investment for a new camera body and lens system.  Too bad there are no "rental" programs out there where one could try out one of these for a couple of weeks to see how they perform in real life.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 08:29:51 am »

...  Too bad there are no "rental" programs out there where one could try out one of these for a couple of weeks to see how they perform in real life.

There is one. It is called Amazon  ;)

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 09:05:12 am »

Lensrentals.com will rent you a Fuji system. In the USA, anyway.

Thanks for the review, Kevin. I've been shooting primarily Fuji for about 18 months, mostly X Pro 1 but this summer I added an X-T1 and just purchased a second. Great little cameras for the sort of work I do (candid people, mostly.) For me, one main benefit is the small size and discreetness of the system -- I'm just an old guy with a funny little camera, and no one takes much notice while I'm working. And after more than 25 years shooting with a huge SLR kit, being able to fit all my gear into a small shoulder bag is terrific, and my back and neck thank me every day.

As for processing, I've performed my own tests using Lightroom and making large prints from the Fuji, Canon 5D3, and Sony RX1 files, and I'm satisfied with the results from the Fuji (yes, even landscapes :) ) Of course there are discernable differences in the files when viewed at 200% on a monitor, but they are all surprisingly similar when printed. YMMV, of course.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 10:50:12 am »

There is one. It is called Amazon  ;)
While I agree that one could get a camera and lens from Amazon and return it after two weeks because of "dissatisfaction" I do find this ethically questionable.  However, that might just be me. ;)

@k bennet - thanks for the website; I'll check it out.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 04:24:41 pm »

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for a great article.  I have two X-E1 bodies, the two 'ordinary' zooms and the 23mm and 56mm primes.  I also have a Leica 35mm Summicron with Fuji adaptor.  Like you, I find the 56mm awesome even on the X-E1.  I also have a Canon 5dIII and L glass.  I love my Canon, BUT, as has been said so many times, it is comparatively heavy and large.  As most of what I do is for a local magazine or travel I rarely print above A4, c 11.5" x 8.25".  The Fuji is now my most used camera, and I relish the size, weight, and IQ.  To me the combination of sensor and lenses really pleases me.  Yesterday I took images with the 56mm of the heads of horses that were going out on a traditional Boxing Day ride with the hounds (no killing involved!)  The horse owners were delighted. I am also delighted with the firmware update policy of Fuji.

Why have I not jumped for the X-T1?  I have handled it several times at exhibitions and my local dealer and am very attracted.  I am also aware of the rumors about an X-Pro2.  I would hate to buy an X-T1 and find 2 months later that I wished I had waited.  I will upgrade in 2015 - that is definite.  I love my Canon for wildlife, and have yet to see a good review of the X-T1 for e.g. birds in flight, or fish like dolphins so will keep it for a while, but it is on probation! 

Your review is making me sit on my hands with a smile of anticipation.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

viewfinder

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 05:02:54 pm »

Kevin,...I read your XT1 review, I have noted your comparison to Oly OMD and I have had my 'bottle tops' scraped together for some time.....so, lets get down to the nittygritty......you obviously print to reasonable size so;...at what print size does the XT1's larger sensor start to outshine teh OMD's 60% smaller one?

.......Thanks in advance for reply!

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 05:31:23 pm »

Interesting article certainly a good read and useful
I've been dabbling with the X mount a bit albeit on a smaller scale and I like it but have some mixed feelings

XT-1 is good used one a while back I liked it (mostly) quite a lot the new firmware brings some nice stuff to the table
I picked up an X-M1 to play with I have an adapter coming for my A mount lenses though I have used a few of the Fuji lenses some of them are very good, some a little weaker

Major stumbling blocks for me:
Flash is weak, new flashes are coming and hopefully this will address the problem
HSS is needed esp for wedding work situation is compounded with base ISO of ISO 200
Fuji 18-135mm didn't impress me much nice build and sealing but an inferior lens to the Sony 18-135mm I have optically
Would like some faster pankcake primes the 27mm F2.8 should be F2 IMO

The 35mm F1,4 is good like that lens, likewise the 56mm F1.2 also a very nice lens not tried the newer 50-140mm F2.8 though

Mostly good but I'm not ready to switch I'll play around with my A mount glass on an X body. If Fuji sort out some of those areas I might look at it. I think they need to look again at the pricing of some of their "budget glass" I'd also make a case for in body stabilisation I think that would enhance the appeal

The company is doing some good stuff, but they're not there yet...that's my take so far I quite like the X Trans sensor it's good (least in my field testing APS- C that is the smaller X compact sensor isn't great tried it a let down) but Fuji are fudging the ISO values more than most overstating the actual ISO. 8/10 so far more work to do but it will depend on what you shoot quite a lot really.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 11:55:43 pm »

Flash is weak, new flashes are coming and hopefully this will address the problem
HSS is needed esp for wedding work situation is compounded with base ISO of ISO 200

You might take a look at the Nissin i40 which should now be shipping for Fuji.  It's a fairly compact flash but has a guide number of 40 meters.  I've had a lot of success with it both with Nikon DSLRs and also with the Sony a7R.  At least for Sony and Nikon it does have HSS and works in TTL, auto, manual, etc.  Compensation or power levels are super easy to dial in with the dual dial system.  I wrote a short review of it in case you are interested:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Nissin%20i40%20Compact%20Flash%20For%20Sony%20Reviewx.pdf

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 05:26:03 am »

Hi thanks for the info on that the Nissin looks like a good compact flash unit, but as far as I'm aware even the latest firmware did not add HSS for any of the X series bodies
I am a bit surprised Fuji didn't do this from day one flash is fairly important to many users, I can use ND filters to cut the light down but it's just easier to have HSS for a bit of fill flash

I'm not planning on buying much for Fuji right now rather using lenses I have with an adapter. I can use my Metz flash in A mode which works well but it's unbalanced on a small X body. The Nissin looks ideal but I'm not ready to abandon my A mount stuff just yet

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 12:48:28 pm »

Wow, that is a major shortcoming that has seemingly been downplayed in the press on the Fuji X-system.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 07:04:57 pm »

Wow, that is a major shortcoming that has seemingly been downplayed in the press on the Fuji X-system.

It doesn't seem to have been highlighted much even review sites don't mention it.
I suppose if you don't do a lot of flash it might not bother some, but even my 35mm AF bodies all of them have this (and some are over 14 years old)
I think the flash was an after thought for Fuji at the time, which possibly is quite a serious mistake to have made.

Maybe they will rectify this I hope so

JV

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 08:11:26 pm »

It doesn't seem to have been highlighted much even review sites don't mention it.
I suppose if you don't do a lot of flash it might not bother some, but even my 35mm AF bodies all of them have this (and some are over 14 years old)
I think the flash was an after thought for Fuji at the time, which possibly is quite a serious mistake to have made.

Maybe they will rectify this I hope so

Only a rumor at this stage but supposedly there would be a new flash from Fuji in the spring of 2015 with HSS and wireless:
http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-flash-will-come-in-spring-2015-guide-no-50-and-wireless-control-trusted-source/
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up