Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile and output of images with and without Gloss Enhancer on the HPZ printers  (Read 6096 times)

Phil Indeblanc

I was making profiles, and I wanted to try a print on the Pro Satin with Gloss Enhancer. but I haven't profiled it and I have a 40x60 image ready to go.

It has lots of whites and ocean blues and some greens. The image you like Mark(and currently adjusting so it looks right, I tried it on the Realistic Litho, and perhaps I need to do another test, but came out a bit soft, and washed.
Anyway...

I was just wondering how different are things when you use GE vs not? And if I should be profiling individually?

I found a link here, and it helps, but, I don't know if this image will gain from it, visually. Basically I want to print it once at this size, before I make a smaller version.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:10:13 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Gloss Enhacer does make a difference in bronzing on most gloss papers for sure.  It can also make a difference on satin paper as well.  Really the best answer is to do testing on your images.  You can turn GE on or off when printing...

What would I do?

Make profile with GE on, then print.  Don't like?  Re-print with GE off.

BTW Phil,
it never hurts to go old school and print "test strips".  You can do a lot of comparison testing with 2" x full width in critical areas of the print.  Saves a lot of paper.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

Yup...will do the testing in stips :-)

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS

In answer to your question about Gloss Enhancer, here is more info from a previous thread:

Bronzing also affects profile target measuring BTW.

The Zs Gloss Enhancer does a splendid job on gloss papers that are compatible with the Vivera inks but can not compensate bronzing and gloss differential when they are not compatible.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

I agree with this, and my experience with HP papers confirms it.  Since you are using the pro satin, I would say that it would not hurt to include Gloss Enhancer.  Additionally, with that  paper, you could  also try making a profile using fine art pearl more ink GE ON.  

There's a lot of unknowns with this stuff which is why testing is so important.

****************************************************************************************

BTW, it occurs to me that that image that I like would also, perhaps work well in black and white.  In that case, printing in quad inks would be a plus.

The color version is my cup of tea, though.

I went back and re-read your OP, Phil.  If you're using HP Litho Matte, you should:
1. Calibrate the paper.
2. Profile the paper to your printer - new ICC profile.

If the image is still soft, then, as you imply, it is perhaps not the right paper for that image.

BTW, I still keep seeing that image on a matte paper. If I was to print that particular image, I'd try something like Breathing Color Pura Velvet.  That image would pop like you wouldn't believe.  Also, with a watercolor feel... wonder if you tried any of their papers?

I would profile the Breathing Color Pura Velvet  paper with:

Fine Art Paper More Ink or:
Fine Art paper > 250 g/m²

Somehow for a matte surface with a pleasing texture, they got it right,IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:26:02 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

I haven't tried the Breathing Color, but have heard good things.

I was going to ask you what quad printing would be like on the z3200. I am unfamiliar with BW printing but I have seen some amazing results and I really do hope to test and try. The ones I have seen are more towards neutral or almost warm/very neutral, not towards the cold tones/blues.

But a lot of my work, I'd like to see in BW, and I will be testing.  That Realistic Litho I can see do some nice BW. I'm gonna load it in the next few days to try it again with a new profile for the "everglade" image.

Ernst Dinkla

Be aware that the quad formation of the black/grey inks only is used in some matte paper media presets, the HP documents describe which matte media presets. The HP Matte Litho-Realistic media preset has a quad formation. As a matte paper it will not use Gloss Enhancer. Your messages tend to be a bit confusing on this chapter.

Edit: Sorry, a mistake, the  Matte Litho-Realistic is not using the Quad formation but Matte Black, Grey, Light Grey inks, so no PK in between.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:41:10 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Be aware that the quad formation of the black/grey inks only is used in some matte paper media presets, the HP documents describe which matte media presets. The HP Matte Litho-Realistic media preset has a quad formation. As a matte paper it will not use Gloss Enhancer. Your messages tend to be a bit confusing on this chapter.

Ernst - thanks for this.  

I did not mean to imply that the Matte paper could use GE.  Sorry for the confusion.

I went back and found an HP document I had lost called: "Working with Other Commercially-Available Papers HP Designjet Z3200 Photo Printer series"

It has additional information that I remembered but couldn't confirm.  I will change my information. 

I have yet to be able to find how HP Matte Litho Realistic has a Quad component - could you please point me in the right direction to a document?

Thanks for the correction and instruction - much appreciated - I have deleted the chart above

-Mark

See attached technical document and charts re: ink set types:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:30:30 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Ernst Dinkla

Ernst - thanks for this. 

I did not mean to imply that the Matte paper could use GE.  Sorry for the confusion.

I went back and found an HP document I had lost called: "Working with Other Commercially-Available Papers HP Designjet Z3200 Photo Printer series"

It has additional information that I remembered but couldn't confirm.  I will change my information. 

I have yet to be able to find how HP Matte Litho Realistic has a Quad component - could you please point me in the right direction to a document?

Thanks for the correction and instruction - much appreciated - I have deleted the chart above

-Mark

See attached technical document and charts re: ink set types:

No, it was Phil's message I referred to.
I made a mistake on the Matte Litho see the edit in the other message.
The information on HP's media presets themselves is in the same PDF instructions for third party papers.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS

No, it was Phil's message I referred to.
I made a mistake on the Matte Litho see the edit in the other message.
The information on HP's media presets themselves is in the same PDF instructions for third party papers.

OK.  I think I have it correct now.  Regardless, of your mistake or mine, I believe I have a correct representation of the 6 specific settings that allow use of Quad Inks (see chart below).

I wonder, Ernst, if the HP Matte Litho Realistic could actually be profiled with Fine Art Paper More Ink?  It would place more ink, but the settings are virtually the same otherwise.  The ink limits are 42 vs. 60.  Otherwise the settings are all the same.
(I'm talking about creating a custom profile for Matte Litho Realistic Profile based on Fine Art More Ink to be able to print using Quad Ink set).  I have a feeling you'll say that HPMLR doesn't do well with PK Inks?  Interested in your opinion on this.

-Mark

(Chart is for Z3200 and Z3200ps - Z3100 printer settings are not the same.)
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

I think I'll have to wait and see what you both recommend and then I can try either one, as I want to keep testing on this stuff to a minimal. I have 1 roll.

If I can profile another paper type to use with the Litho with great output, why not. But not sure how the quad compares to the HP Profile intended?

I have zero experience with this printer and B&W, but with other printers that don't do quad, some paper/ink combo have "color" to them even out of a RIP, and this undertone of color is slightly visible.
... Just from past experiences with some B&W tests I've done on other brand papers. (Some with a slight cyan/green, while others the pink/magenta).

I have seen a test print of a Epson B&W image. The way it looked, I can describe it as a touch warm, but the area the ink was on looked refelctive, almost a sheen to the ink area. It looked really rich. very nice print.

I got a GregGorman image sample B&W from Epson about the 4900-9900, and the print is decent, but nothing this printer can't do.

Are there particular types of images that would do well with the Realistic Litho? High contrast, some tones that work well, etc?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:37:03 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

Ernst Dinkla

Something is already mentioned in the HP docs about the Quad formation and other black/grey ink combinations. The image quality (bleed/dotgain/detail loss) versus gamut size. I do recall another document where for the uncoated bond papers also combinations like MK + Grey ink only are mentioned, the image quality does not increase by using more diluted inks like the Light Grey. In the Quad formation (used on matte papers only) the PK ink is just an even darker grey ink than the Grey ink while it can act as a true Black ink on glossy papers. Some made the remark that the PK density on matte papers is already so high that it hardly does qualify as a Quad set, the PK partition in the tone range is short. However if you compare the ink densities of the Grey and Light Grey inks of the HP Vivera set to other third party Quad or Epson Tritone sets you will notice that the Vivera grey inks are also quite dark. I think this has been done by HP to lower the total ink load on the paper and by that limit bleeding etc, the more in color mode where less grey ink then can substitute a higher laod of composite crey color ink mixes.

The HP heads produce droplets of either 6 or 4 picoliter per ink channel, on average bigger than the Epson 3.5 or Canon 4 picoliter minimum droplets. The HP MK head makes 6 picoliter droplets, fine for Dmax but in the shadow details the PK head with 4 picoliter droplets is more suited if the paper coating can handle a higher inkload for a given density. This is complex, the MK ink will have larger carbon particles and more of them per ink unit. By that the chances are that the MK pigment particles stay more on top of the paper due to their size and the ink will bleed less than the PK on matte papers so the droplet size difference may not even compensate that effect.

Another factor is that while the PK, Grey and Light Grey inks are near neutral the MK is a bit warm, actually warmer than the Eboni MK ink that is the least warm MK carbon pigment ink. Usually we notice a color tone in blacks far less than a color tone in the shadows up to the highlights, so HP might have added the PK in the Quad formation to keep the neutral character as long as possible in the tone range and by that reduce the color ink additions that could influence the B&W print constancy in printing and in time (fading).

I'm sure there is more to write about the HP Vivera ink mixing philosophy, by me and much more by the former HP engineers. Think about the interesting absence of Cyan ink and the role Light Cyan and Green inks have to compensate that.  For practice I would suggest to use the media presets that either HP or the paper manufacturers already made or suggested for the OEM and third party papers. I do not think we are smarter than HP engineers or the people at Hahnemühle, Canson, etc that provided the Z3200 media preset + profile files. Calibration and assigning another custom profile to that paper is still possible and I do that often but switching to other media presets where HM or Canson or HP made one available already is something else. The Ilford case is different today, some papers will be close enough to the old production with others I have my doubts.

BTW, check carefully whether HP Matte Litho-Realistic stays in production before devoting too much time on integrating it into your business. It does not help either that it is still delivered on 2" cores, the curl at the end of the roll of a 275 grams quite rigid paper is what makes me think twice on ordering it again. I used most of it for booklet covers in student design projects etc the off-white and smooth surface was in a sense unique, meanwhile Innova IFA 24 and a similar but slightly differently texturised Felix Schoeller product are more interesting, could be from the same source though.

Phil Indeblanc

I started a print last night with the litho and a bw image, then my MK had clogged up again, completely, and the image looked like it had been inverted in Photoshop. :-)

Either I have to change that head or clean it manually. Last week I used a solution and it did open it up, but weird, I thought it would stay open, not clog within a short time.

Interesting info on the characteristics. Maybe tomorrow I can clear it and try again.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Something is already mentioned in the HP docs about the Quad formation and other black/grey ink combinations. The image quality (bleed/dotgain/detail loss) versus gamut size. I do recall another document where for the uncoated bond papers also combinations like MK + Grey ink only are mentioned, the image quality does not increase by using more diluted inks like the Light Grey. In the Quad formation (used on matte papers only) the PK ink is just an even darker grey ink than the Grey ink while it can act as a true Black ink on glossy papers. Some made the remark that the PK density on matte papers is already so high that it hardly does qualify as a Quad set, the PK partition in the tone range is short. However if you compare the ink densities of the Grey and Light Grey inks of the HP Vivera set to other third party Quad or Epson Tritone sets you will notice that the Vivera grey inks are also quite dark. I think this has been done by HP to lower the total ink load on the paper and by that limit bleeding etc, the more in color mode where less grey ink then can substitute a higher laod of composite crey color ink mixes.

The HP heads produce droplets of either 6 or 4 picoliter per ink channel, on average bigger than the Epson 3.5 or Canon 4 picoliter minimum droplets. The HP MK head makes 6 picoliter droplets, fine for Dmax but in the shadow details the PK head with 4 picoliter droplets is more suited if the paper coating can handle a higher inkload for a given density. This is complex, the MK ink will have larger carbon particles and more of them per ink unit. By that the chances are that the MK pigment particles stay more on top of the paper due to their size and the ink will bleed less than the PK on matte papers so the droplet size difference may not even compensate that effect.

Another factor is that while the PK, Grey and Light Grey inks are near neutral the MK is a bit warm, actually warmer than the Eboni MK ink that is the least warm MK carbon pigment ink. Usually we notice a color tone in blacks far less than a color tone in the shadows up to the highlights, so HP might have added the PK in the Quad formation to keep the neutral character as long as possible in the tone range and by that reduce the color ink additions that could influence the B&W print constancy in printing and in time (fading).

I'm sure there is more to write about the HP Vivera ink mixing philosophy, by me and much more by the former HP engineers. Think about the interesting absence of Cyan ink and the role Light Cyan and Green inks have to compensate that.  For practice I would suggest to use the media presets that either HP or the paper manufacturers already made or suggested for the OEM and third party papers. I do not think we are smarter than HP engineers or the people at Hahnemühle, Canson, etc that provided the Z3200 media preset + profile files. Calibration and assigning another custom profile to that paper is still possible and I do that often but switching to other media presets where HM or Canson or HP made one available already is something else. The Ilford case is different today, some papers will be close enough to the old production with others I have my doubts.

BTW, check carefully whether HP Matte Litho-Realistic stays in production before devoting too much time on integrating it into your business. It does not help either that it is still delivered on 2" cores, the curl at the end of the roll of a 275 grams quite rigid paper is what makes me think twice on ordering it again. I used most of it for booklet covers in student design projects etc the off-white and smooth surface was in a sense unique, meanwhile Innova IFA 24 and a similar but slightly differently texturised Felix Schoeller product are more interesting, could be from the same source though.

Thanks very much for this excellent review of the ink set issues, Ernst.  It is an understatement to say that there is alchemy behind the magic that is ink mixing with Vivera inks, and I am envious of your understanding of much of it.

Getting inside the printer, however makes me take issue about your other statement about how smart the engineers at HP were....

There is a lot to digest in your post, and I'm pleased you took the time to answer comprehensively - it will give me a lot to think about.

I wonder how, when using the Z Series printers and the embedded spectrophotometer, making custom profiles for papers that there is no road map for, no tested and determined or prescribed presets, such as exist with the Matte Litho Realistic paper, that we take our best guess according to the chart, because there has been no testing (such as in the case of Breathing Color Fine Art Papers) they admit they don't own any HP printers, that a project of experimentation ensues with each and every "out of the norm" paper.  No guidance, just experience and the charts to go by.  Given that the Quad ink set is available for many matte papers, I wonder if I found a roll of HP Matte Litho Realistic that was unlabeled in any way, if I might not be inclined to try a Fine Art More Ink Quad ink profile on it (especially given I had no knowledge of what it was)?

I respect what the engineers have done and how careful their testing is and how it reflects in the presets chosen for us, but I also respect the instinct of experimentation and my eye, when it comes to end results. 

But shucks.  HP is likely discontinuing yet another product, so the point becomes moot anyway.

We could apply this theory to another paper, however which is available, but with no apparent guidance on how to create a profile.  Consider Epson Ultra Smooth Fine Art paper.  One could use the HP Matte Litho Realistic preset to profile from, or do as I did, which was to also go for the Quad ink preset of Fine Art More Ink.  I tried both, made calibrations and profiles using both, and I prefer the latter.

I do not think we are smarter than HP engineers or the people at Hahnemühle, Canson, etc that provided the Z3200 media preset + profile files. Calibration and assigning another custom profile to that paper is still possible and I do that often but switching to other media presets where HM or Canson or HP made one available already is something else. The Ilford case is different today, some papers will be close enough to the old production with others I have my doubts.

It is a dichotomy, it seems that certain 3rd party papers have specific guidelines, yet others do not.  I have come to conclude that it is experience of having worked with the papers and ink sets that opens a door to getting to the right preset for the right paper for the right image.  A professional printer simply could not exist this way, and requires using standardized methods of measuring and testing just to be able to stay profitable.  It is a requirement.

An artist, however, without ownness to anyone but himself does not require such permission to experiment with presets, engineers be damned.

Still in all, don't misunderstand me, this is not to say that I do not highly respect your opinion in this regard, just that there is room for another approach to it, which no doubt is looked upon by some as folly, yet respected by certain others.

I can not possibly come to the level of technical understanding that you possess Ernst, and it is good of you to share your information so freely.  To be able to have an open and honest discussion about how things work with these printers is often eye-opening for me.

It is when you discuss the ramifications of color ink mixing on fading, that my ears perk up.  The question is just how much experimentation can one do before one crosses the line and breaks the "longevity chain" with custom presets?

Again, consider the papers that are available that have no preset models to follow.

I read in one of HP's documents that the "wrong" presets are possible to make, and it can affect the image outcome, but it is my understanding that they were addressing image quality rather than image longevity.

So if the answer is that if you use the wrong ink preset model on a particular paper with no preset model available, that it could fade prematurely, then what is a guy to do?  Just not use and Lexjet or Breathing Color papers, etc?

If the answer is that one can just play with the presets making custom ones at will, then it's a matter of how long the paper and ink and carriage belts last....

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Phil Indeblanc

Both of you take the experimentation of this to a level much beyond what I would expect of myself. But considering the archival quality of the paper I guess one has to question things.

I was under the impression that the inks being pigmented/UV, they would not have a direct influence on the paper, but the paper and ink independently have their logevity characteristics. As long as the paper will not fade over time, the ink show likely be stable and also not fade(according to HP's claim of the inks).  So if paper mfg other than HP claim something it would somewhat limit the overall print life to some degree. I say this for matte specifically as the ink is not so much only on a surface level, but more absorbed by the paper. (while on HP photo papers(satin/gloss), the coating is what the ink sits atop. Yes the different bleaches and washes, additives to brighten the paper can tint it, and even change over time. I have seen it happen with HP paper using the Vivera Dye inks(HP claims 70years) that faded over a few months. The print was never exposed out of the envelope(standard white envelope).

Anyway, I think experimentation is surely in order, if not for the sake of making better prints, just to reassure, and seei what might happen. Somewhat like following what the camera manual says for the first learning aspects of shooting, and then doing exactly the opposite when you know the control and balance of the rules....This also helps solidify print making at some level and result to be lots of artistry involved...until one can grasp the variables to repeat in a formulaic approach. This can require lots of time, and media :-)

Ernst Dinkla

I do not think I described a route to experiments with media presets or ink mixes. I recommend to use the OEM and paper manufacturer's made media presets or the ones they recommend as a starting point. With the HP driver controlled printing we also rely on the HP engineer's ink mixing so for longevity based on the ink mixing we have no control. Other factors on longevity are in the paper choices themselves, and how the inks behave on that paper. When HP engineers deliberately select a cyan colorant that slightly fades and by that compensates another colorant's shift in time to keep color in harmony in time then it is obvious that a paper white that shifts fast is the weakest link in that combination. Aardenburg Imaging tested several combinations so you can start there.

BTW the HP Pro Satin is a very nice paper but not on longevity.

About increasing ink lay down by choices of media presets, the Matte Litho-Realistic paper coating does not give me the impression of being a thick layer. Maybe naive but my gut feeling is that there is some relation between the coating layer thickness and the amount of ink you can squirt on it. The Innova Decor Art IFA24 has a similar coating so I use the Matte Litho-Realistic media preset as the base for the custom media preset for Decor Art. Little can be done within that media preset but some ink limit change which is more a gamma shift (affecting the mid tone range) than a true ink limit setting.

There have been messages that the Matte LR is in short supply, I do not know whether it will disappear but keep an eye open for that possibility.

For experiments you need a good RIP with lots of flexibility on all the 12 ink channel. I would not recommend that route.

You can learn a lot from the HP documents, Aardenburg Imaging test results + articles and make a library on your computer of all that to study.

Phil Indeblanc

Thanks Ernst,

I don't think you described a route, but something that may happen at some point. I am just scratching the surface of the printer, and all I have now is the 1.5 pages of the manual on color calibration. All it says is profile the paper you want to use first, then calibrate that profile and paper. Even some of the charts (on Quad Inks that I have no idea about ) Mark kindly posted is unfamiliar to me and how I can use it. I have to read it more carefully. But regardless I think it is a bit early for me concern myself too much, but I would like to be aware of things.  I do realize, now that I did a print on HP Real Litho matte, also that the MK is clogged, it does use it :-)

I downloaded some tests for the HP Pro Satin as that is the paperI'm using for the large project I have. I hope it covers at least 15 years of archival life for the space it is going in (indoor office/none to medium level of window sunlight on some prints).

The Aardenburg tests will be helpful. And I have yet to try the HP documents on the HP.com site, if thats what you mean. Otherwise I only know of the Yahoo group and this forum. The Yahoo group is a bit unorganized for me, and often when looking for info its all over the place. I have to try the HP.com documents.

So far what I read in the HP z3200 manual...
Profile first, then once complete calibrate that profile with the paper :-) Oddly new to me. Maybe I have forgotten...but for some reason I thought they were both overlapping...Once made a profile, that is a calibrated ICC to use). I know it will get skewed over time and needs a recalibraton of that profile, but I didn't know just after making a Profile, I would need to right away calibrate it before using...as the manual suggests.

Anyways. some great info that I can surely appreciate here.

Ernst Dinkla

So far what I read in the HP z3200 manual...
Profile first, then once complete calibrate that profile with the paper :-) Oddly new to me. Maybe I have forgotten...but for some reason I thought they were both overlapping...Once made a profile, that is a calibrated ICC to use). I know it will get skewed over time and needs a recalibraton of that profile, but I didn't know just after making a Profile, I would need to right away calibrate it before using...as the manual suggests.

In my book it goes as follows; a new paper arrives, I check whether there is a media preset + profile available on the distributor's/manufacturer's website (OMS file for the Z3200), install that combo, load the paper, color calibrate the paper (the 10 to 12 rows of 16 hexagonal patches), make a print of the Atkinson evaluation images collage with the manufacturer's profile. If satisfied I keep that printer profile assigned to the media preset. From time to time the paper is color calibrated again to keep the right base for that profile.

If not satisfied I create a custom profile for that paper. The Color Center software and the optional APS software both ask you to color calibrate the paper first before printing the profiling target. A very sensible approach. Then I print the highest number of patches target available in the software and spread them nicely over the width of the loaded paper roll. The printer'spectrometer does the rest. Measurement data saved separately. For APS the profile is loaded to the computer system and after that the profile is assigned to the media preset (a detour for a bug X-Rite did not repair). Print the Atkinson file for evaluation. Recalibrate from time to time to keep the base correct for the custom profile.

If no media preset is available some searching, asking around and common sense -thick, thin paper coating, similar OBA content, similar Lab numbers- lets me make the decision which HP OEM media preset should be used to create the custom media preset within Color Center. The color calibration target usually tells enough whether the paper can have the ink load, otherwise I use a 34 step B&W target with dotgain traps to see whether Dmax is not too far from the 100% patch and detail lines not lost in bleeding. If so (but seldom) I rather take a lower ink limit media preset to start from than fiddle with the ink limitation in the first custom media preset. Done that the custom profile route has to be done. Separate spectrometer for the 34 step target, I still have to finish a Z on board solution for that.

Phil Indeblanc

Thanks for sharing the process you go through. Makes it a nice reference for those like myself needing it. I used to use a image something like Bill Atkinson's except I remember it having some grapes-fruits and a trumpet :-). Good idea to do a visual check.  Well all that is at a screeching hault (new topic thread), since my belt busted!
Pages: [1]   Go Up