Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leasing Printer  (Read 2659 times)

Emillstein

Leasing Printer
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:19:54 pm »

I'm an individual professional photographer planning to purchase my first printer, leaning towards a Canon IPF8400.

Does anyone have experience leasing a printer rather than buying?  On the surface this seems like a decent idea, although maybe there are disadvantages I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jglaser757

Re: Leasing Printer
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:00 pm »

I just bought an epson 9900. I was looking seriously at the 8400 too. I thought about leasing a printer( previously leased dental equipment), but paying monthly on a 4k or 5 K printer wasn't really worth it. It was like paying off a credit card and I wanted the points instead. And the terms were not favorable.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:00:56 pm »

I think the standard lease vs buy questions apply:

-Is there something you would do with the cash today that would give you a greater financial return than the added cost associated with leasing compared to buying?
-How long do you plan to use the printer? In general, the longer you plan to keep it the more it makes sense to buy.
-Are you going to work the equipment hard? This relates to useful life. If you plan to kill it before its normal life, leasing might make sense. The leasing company may have protection against this, like mileage limits on a car lease. In this case, per square inches printed or ink volume used.

I've had my printer for over 4 years, and don't use it every day. It would have been crazy for me to lease. It might have been almost as financially crazy for me to buy it too, but that's another story!

Maybe you found someone who would lease it on a per square inch printed cost, with a low minimum per month. That would be a great deal if you don't plan to use it much! but I suspect you will find the terms rather unfavorable, like Jglaser did above.

Are there significant tax incentives to do one over the other? Unless you can arrange a capital lease with some accelerated depreciation expense, usually the tax implications (if any) favor buying...

Dave

Emillstein

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:24:51 pm »

Thanks for your replies.

Essentially I was thinking that a 1 or 2 year lease could give me a chance to test drive the printer and determine whether it is the right brand/model for me, then I could always buy one when the lease is up.

I will not be printing at a high volume (I am on the road shooting at least 50% of the time, sometimes more), so there will certainly be times when it is sitting idle for between 2-6 weeks at a time.

I have requested some estimates, but haven't seen any rates yet.

Jglaser757

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:49:56 pm »

i would be curious to know what they quote you

jferrari

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »

I have requested some estimates, but haven't seen any rates yet.

Estimates from whom? Who did you request estimates from?
Nothing changes until something changes.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:04:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure that any "lease" on an ipf8400 will have you owing the printer at the end of the lease. So the lease is just another form of financing the purchase of the printer. Once loaded with ink the Canons LF printers can be VERY hard to move because they have an internal ink reservoir, so i doubt any leasing company or Canon would want to deal with that.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Emillstein

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:21:18 pm »

Thanks Jeff, that's an interesting point, I hadn't thought about it that way.  If it's really just a lease-to-own financing program, I don't see much benefit for me.

Do the other printers in this size category have similar limitations on being moved?  That must make it difficult to dispose of them when they finally go down for good.

Some Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:59:43 pm »

A local shop closed and I tried to pick up their 6 month old ipf8400 off their 5 year lease.  It was GE Leasing I think, and not via Canon or the business machine retailer who sold it to them.  The owner that took out the lease would have ended up paying about $11,000 for it.  Even if I assumed his remaining 4 1/2 year lease it would cost me more than buying a new one.  No wonder the shop went bust as the owner just looked at low monthly payments, but the total payoff was obscene.  Freight bill to crate it and haul it off had to be expensive.  I got the impression the $11K lease was partitioned off to the seller who made something for selling it, as well as some lengthy service contract.  The leasing company refused to come in at my offer of $3,500 too and eventually had to pick it up and do whatever they do with them.

Better off buying the thing, imho.  Lease is just a good write-off if you got money to blow long-term, and often more than what it would cost to buy outright in the long run.

SG

Jglaser757

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:18 pm »

When I got my epson,,they had to turn it vertical to get it my studio..I was told that If I move it to drain the ink and lock the print head down..And, im good to go!

Griffin86

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 11:33:52 am »

Always read the fine print of your lease agreement. I was going to lease to own a Credo 50. It was only going to be $10 to buy it after 2 years. The contract said I had to send a letter between 60-90 days of the contract ending stating I was going to buy it then send the payment 30 days before the contract ended. They also made you pay the first and last payment which I think would confuse people when the contract ended.

I bought my ipf8400. I would prefer a loan instead of leasing the interest rate is cheap.

Jglaser757

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »

Always read the fine print of your lease agreement. I was going to lease to own a Credo 50. It was only going to be $10 to buy it after 2 years. The contract said I had to send a letter between 60-90 days of the contract ending stating I was going to buy it then send the payment 30 days before the contract ended. They also made you pay the first and last payment which I think would confuse people when the contract ended.

I bought my ipf8400. I would prefer a loan instead of leasing the interest rate is cheap.

It is very confusing and unless you read the fine print they can get you for more money..it happened to me on a lease 6 years ago. We kept paying on a lease and it was over, they never sent any bills or final etc. it was up to me to do it. really deceptive.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:08:55 pm by Jglaser757 »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 01:10:25 pm »

Thanks Jeff, that's an interesting point, I hadn't thought about it that way.  If it's really just a lease-to-own financing program, I don't see much benefit for me.
Many equipment leases are "lease to own", with usually a minimal buyout at the end.  Unlike car leases, where there is a predictable residual value which is factored into the lease thus lowering payments but a buyout price which is often higher than the cars value at the end of the lease, equipment leases are obtained for a couple of reasons.  First, some companies specialize in leasing certain types of equipment, so getting approval is easier and doesn't require a substantial down payment, unlike a bank which has no clue what you are buying so they want some substantial investment on your part or attachment of other property to secure the lease.  The leasing company will usually not require that, and in fact if  you have a track record with them may not even require a personal guarantee.

Another reason leases are used is tax advantages.  Usually a lease payment is deductible as an expense, rather than having to depreciate the value over a period of years.  Sometimes that can be helpful, though I think those advantages (in the U.S. anyway) have become less important with accelerated depreciation schedules.

Also some equipment is leased because the lease is the useful life of the equipment, and is planned on being replaced.  This is really only useful if there is a decent amount of residual value.

But interest rates on leases are usually a higher, and often substantially higher than loans, especially loans that are secured by solid assets, such as a line of credit against a portfolio or real property instead of the high risk odd piece of equipment (odd for the bank - what do they do with it if they have to repossess it?)

As far as "lease to try", that's usually something that a vendor themselves offer (so they work with the leasing company and guarantee the debt), and with printers the vendors usually choose deep rebates in place of any type of lease program.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:36:31 pm by Wayne Fox »

Emillstein

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 06:47:25 pm »

I guess I was also thinking that leasing could be a hedge against a new model coming out, but it doesn't sound like there's anything on the horizon.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

Early in my career I got sucked into the leasing thing for gear. Seemed like a good idea at the time :( Be careful about the "hedge against a new model coming out" -- my leasing company said they would be happy to write a new lease for new gear, but not take the old gear back (and of course I still have to pay for the duration.) In any case, they aren't going to want to take a printer back; what would they do with it?

I think it would have been cheaper in my case to just use a credit card and pay it off over the same term. Then I would have owned the gear outright.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

disneytoy

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 11:32:50 pm »

Just ordered a new Epson 9890 Free delivery and lift gate for $2,999. Also got $200 free Epson media. Great company to work with. I don't think I could be happier. Deal ends the 30th in case anyone wants one.

Emillstein

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 03:46:30 am »

Where did you order it from?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 09:15:31 pm »

I guess I was also thinking that leasing could be a hedge against a new model coming out, but it doesn't sound like there's anything on the horizon.
Seems logical, but you can't get out of the lease until you pay it off, which amounts to the same as if you bought it.  Might work if there was a large residual, but if any leasing company offered that on something like a printer they would  also probably jack the interest rate to offset it. they  don't want the thing back so they make sure they get their money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up