Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 8.1 -- no mapped network drives in PS CC (2014)  (Read 6370 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Win 8.1 -- no mapped network drives in PS CC (2014)
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:05:28 pm »

As the title suggests, my Photoshop CC (2014) does NOT show my mapped network drives as possible lettered drives (in my case, X: and Y:). This was (and is) not the case with Photoshop CC. I haven't been able to find out anything about this and wondered if others have this issue. Also, if an image that resides on a network drive is sent from Lightroom (yes, I know the catalog is not on the network), it fails to open in Photoshop (2014). Again, this is not the issue with Photoshop CC. Bridge, if used in conjunction with Photoshop CC, sees the network drives without issue. But, like everything else, when Bridge is used with Photoshop CC (2014), it is blind to the mapped network drives. And finally, with ANY drive, if I drag an image to Photoshop CC, it will open. If i try the same with Photoshop CC (2014), I get the "Do Not Enter" symbol.

Today, I discovered another program that seems to have "network amnesia". My Silverfast 8 for the Canonscan 9000F Mark II has the same issue. The scanner is not as much a problem, but Photoshop is a huge problem since a number of jobs reside on the NAS RAID.

Thoughts?

Nemo

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro

nemophoto

Re: Win 8.1 -- no mapped network drives in PS CC (2014)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 10:12:03 am »

Good suggestion. My user account control is turned off completely, however, I never tried going into the registry and trying the modification the link suggested. Thanks for the link. I'll let you know if it works. still seems so incredibly strange though that Photoshop CC has problems, but Photoshop CC (2014) does. Sometimes I feel Adobe tries to break those things that are not already broken and fails to fix others.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:52:32 pm »

On the other hand, Adobe does not recommend nor support the use of networked drives for Photoshop / Bridge.
Their recomendation is to work from internal disks (which add complexity to your workflow)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop-cs5.html

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 03:18:55 pm »

On the other hand, Adobe does not recommend nor support the use of networked drives for Photoshop / Bridge.
Their recomendation is to work from internal disks (which add complexity to your workflow)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop-cs5.html

While Adobe may WANT to ignore networks, in reality, it can't. Anyone who uses a network server for any reason (whether Fortune 500 or a smaller studio like mine), there is a need to share resources and, in my case, images. The fact that all previous versions of Photoshop show mapped network drives, as well as Lightroom seeing these drives, leads me to believe that it is an error in coding. So, if you are correct, Adobe's workflow would have me copy an image to a local drive via File Explorer, open it in Photoshop, work on it, resave to the local drive, then use File Explorer to copy over to the network drive again. A lot of wasted effort and time. I'll have to call Adobe, pay for tech support (another thing I resent) to solve an issue that shouldn't be an issue.

nemophoto

Re: Win 8.1 -- no mapped network drives in PS CC (2014) RESOLVED!!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:59:50 am »

I kept searching and searching for issues similar to the one I was experiencing with Photoshop and it's inability to work with mapped network drives. I finally found the solution, which seemed so easy (to a degree) when pointed out. The issue stemmed from Window's UAC (User Account Control). In Windows 8.1, even when you have it turned off (so you think), the fact is, it is not totally off. I had to go the the Registry and edit a line, truly turning off the UAC, changing the variable from 1 to zero.

I restarted my computer and miraculously, Photoshop CC (2014) worked fine with the network drives, and I was also able to do simple drag and drops to open image files. If someone else has this issue, I'm happy to give a link to the article I used.

Nemo

Arlcrane

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:10:41 pm »

Nemo, I'd love to see that link......

Thanks

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:54:08 pm »

It took a bit of searching to find it again, but here it is. Worked like a charm. No issues since with drag and drop or network drives.

Here it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up