Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dealer representative at the LuLa  (Read 7972 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Dealer representative at the LuLa
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »

My two cents. I actually like it when dealers and manufacturer’s rep’s post when it’s in line with answering questions and the like. As long as no hard sales pitch, the more, the better. Case in point is WillH from NEC who occasionally posts here, mostly to help out with technical issues. Often their feedback is unique and invaluable.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »

My two cents. I actually like it when dealers and manufacturer’s rep’s post when it’s in line with answering questions and the like. As long as no hard sales pitch, the more, the better. Case in point is WillH from NEC who occasionally posts here, mostly to help out with technical issues. Often their feedback is unique and invaluable.
Absolutely agree. The help and support from Phase One  and Adobe reps in the relevant forums has been of great benefit to anyone interested in their products over the years.
I've been on LuLa from over ten years* now and never come across and blatant or unwanted intrusion from manufacturers or dealers.

From what I've seen there's no editorial bias and Michael has been very open about what connections he's had with various manufacturers. I don't always agree with his opinions, but I DO always respect them as honest.

*Yes,  my profile says I joined in 2006, but I was here on a different nickname before LuLa's system hiccuped and made me change my nickname.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »

I have a question about dealer representative from Phase One at the LuLa.
How about dealer from Hasselblad or Pentax, or Nikon and Canon at the LuLa?

I can imagine that  Nikon dealer would  say otherwise that Nikon camera are better than Canon at the same way that dealer from Phase One say that they are better dan Pentax?
Bias? or yust deal between LuLa and Phase One?

I can't help but think that it is totally up to the company/dealer/person to decide whether or not to join and participate in this or any other forum.  As someone else has already noted, Phase and I believe Hasselblad and Adobe are represented here; Nikon, Canon and Sony each have different business models and outside of their own websites are very hard to find anywhere else.  The choose to do this - non is keeping them away from here; much like an individual, you choose to join and participate or not.  As an individual listen, learn and share but please don't get pissy when someone questions your post.

Sure wish we had a "Like" button....

dreed

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »

It is part of what I do to constantly explore what is new and interesting in the industry so that I can write about it. (Kevin does as well now, obviously). Since funds aren't unlimited this means that we sell older gear to purchase new cameras and lenses that interest us.

So, the fact that I had a piece of gear and now no longer do should not be interpreted as a lack of interest in it or as a criticism. It just is the reality of how we operate this site and our review process. We do accept the loan of review samples of new gear, but we do not accept any free equipment. We therefore buy everything at retail that we use long-term.

Michael

Thank you for keeping it real and keeping it interesting.

JeanMichel

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 12:01:01 am »

Well, Leica takes an interest in what their owners share on the Leica forum. They recently used the forum to let owners of their m9 and MM cameras that may experience a sensor issue that Leica would replace the sensor at no cost. So nothing wrong with helpful manufactures or dealers participating in forums.
Jean-Michel

Robert55

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 05:34:36 am »

In other side of Europe (Germany,France, Netherlands) is another story.....

In Dutch we'd say 'Ach Jee' (Jee = Jesus) which is the same as Oh Jesus, which is a bit stronger than Oh Boy. And half the  world (girls that is, I've heard it in Turkey) uses OMG spelled out.

HSway

• Sunwaysite
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 08:43:12 am »

Ó jejda (oh boy), now we go from ‘American culture’ to ‘other side of Europe culture’. I think it’s more about ‘your own culture’ and a very weak familiarity with any culture per se. Or, at least you come across as a very poor representative of any. You are right about these forums being international (in English) but you need to do your part and come with adequate language skills rather than blaming others for your own mistakes.
Every nation has its own equivalents to this phrase once you get what it means you should make yourself understood with a Papua New Guinean just perfect on that note. To my surprise even the first on-line dictionary I hit came with two versions in Czech (ach jo, ty bláho) of which the first is fitting better most of the time (the best one is used at the beginning of this post).

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 11:04:58 pm »

To answer the original question, I personally find the presence of dealers most welcome.

They are clearly identified and so is their bias.

It's a bit of a romantic European view that everyone has to be totally neutral in public speech. Neutral is perceived as superior to biased.

Except that this view is naive in essence. We all have bias, it doesn't have to prevent us from being fair.

Cheers,
Bernard

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2014, 11:57:29 pm »

To answer the original question, I personally find the presence of dealers most welcome.

They are clearly identified and so is their bias.

It's a bit of a romantic European view that everyone has to be totally neutral in public speech. Neutral is perceived as superior to biased.

Except that this view is naive in essence. We all have bias, it doesn't have to prevent us from being fair.

Cheers,
Bernard
That sums it up perfectly. Thanks, Bernard.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mbaginy

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:10 pm »

Auf Deutsch: Junge, Junge, was für ein Wetter!  Oder: Junge, Junge, da kann ich nur noch mit dem Kopf schütteln.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 04:25:16 pm »

+1

Erik

That sums it up perfectly. Thanks, Bernard.

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up