Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 can't recalibrate matte paper after 3 month storage  (Read 5602 times)

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Z3200 can't recalibrate matte paper after 3 month storage
« on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:40 am »

Had my Z3200 in storage for about 3 months and just got it back so ran through removing cartridges and shaking, head cleaning, print head alignment and then went to update calibration on some of my papers.  After several tries was not able to recalibrate Epson cold press natural.  I get through the process and the color chart looks ok but get an error message that the calibration process was aborted (must be right at the end as all seems to go well up to that point)  I tried some old HP professional semi gloss and that calibrated OK.

Any suggestions?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: Z3200 can't recalibrate matte paper after 3 month storage
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:36:46 am »

Are you calibrating roll or sheet?

When you study the calibration chart, are there any scratches on it, any smudges, etc., at all anywhere?

If you print out a print head diagnostic chart are there any lines that are broken?  (requires careful study to see).

If you're doing a sheet, sometimes it will print the target and can't pull the paper back in if it's 11 x 17.

But since you are able to profile other papers... not sure.

Been having the same issue trying to profile a wood veneer.  Right at the end it says there was a problem scanning.

The only thing I can think of is to try supporting the paper and see if that works.

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

robertDthomas

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:43:20 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Wood veneer - That ought to be interesting !!
I get the same error message of problem scanning.

I am profiling 24" roll paper.  I kept all the charts that were printed and will take a look when I get back to the printer which will not be till tonight (EST here) so will investigate and try profiling other papers both gloss and matte and also do some prints.

namartinnz

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »

I had the same issue with my Z3100 and never found a solution

Neal

robertDthomas

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 04:00:04 pm »

Oh that doesn't sound too good.  Did you have to abandon your Z or did you joust go ahead a print without calibrated papers?  What things did you try which unfortunately did not help but I may get a better result with your methods.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:42:36 pm »

I'm on a Z3100 and I can't calibrate matt papers either, though I can pk papers.

It's crazy. I have all new heads and can't get to the bottom of it either. It won't work on my Windows 7 machine or the macs.

When I go to the HP website to look for a new firmware download and click anything to do with my printer I get a blank page.

We need to ALL call them and ask what the hell is the deal with a high tech company that can't manage their OWN website.

I want to call support but haven't had the time. Too much Christmas work.

john

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:08:56 pm »

I'm on a Z3100 and I can't calibrate matt papers either, though I can pk papers.

It's crazy. I have all new heads and can't get to the bottom of it either. It won't work on my Windows 7 machine or the macs.

When I go to the HP website to look for a new firmware download and click anything to do with my printer I get a blank page.

We need to ALL call them and ask what the hell is the deal with a high tech company that can't manage their OWN website.

I want to call support but haven't had the time. Too much Christmas work.

john

Go here:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3204976&lang=en&cc=us

There is not any new firmware, but there are drivers and utility software.

It actually is possible that the the ESP (spectrophotometer) is having problems. 
After all your Z3100 must be getting up there in age, eh?

I'd be careful about upgrading your Mac drivers and utility.  I have recently done it and it appears HP has changed the gui of the color center in utility.  Paper presets manager > synchronize papers is now just a list with a an update whirl icon in the lower right hand corner.  Sucks.

Windows remains the same - all icons and standard colorful gui.  Be very careful about upgrading the driver/utility in Mac os - once you've done it, no going back.

Try running a blast of canned air up under the carriage on the right side where the ESP is - never know- maybe some crap up under there.  If you have a mechanis mirror, you could shine a bright light and see if anything looks "foggy".  Then figure a way to wipe it or clean it.

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

robertDthomas

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:38 pm »

Great will do - Thanks Mark and others who responded.  I will give an update after trying these ideas and a bit more work on calibration of out of date paper profiles.

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:12 am »

Look there are three of us who are not able to calibrate matte media only. I don't think all of our spectros went out at the same time, and only decided not to measure with MK papers! That makes no sense.  This has got to be software related.

Actually mine prints the target and reads it fine. It doesn't stop with an error in the middle of a measurement. It just gives the error when it is supposed to be saving the calibration and says that it has "failed". If the spectro was broken or obstructed by something I wouldn't be able to measure and calibrate papers on fiber gloss, but I am.

john

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:39 am »

John,

It depends. With matte papers the light reflection differs to the reflection glossy papers give. Either the lamp or the sensor may no longer create an HP threshold in the readings of matte papers. I can not tell for sure, could also be a bug. Anyone with the optional APS software that makes the same distinction between gloss and matte when calibrating?
There is the other odd thing where an extra Gloss Enhancer+ profile is made for a matte paper that can not use Gloss Enhancer.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:07:50 pm »

John,

Don't misunderstand me.  

I CAN make calibrations and profiles on matte papers, just NOT on a particular wood veneer.  The veneer has curling, and it really doesn't have anything one would call a "White Point".  In my case, it may just be asking the spectrophotometer too much.

I understand the frustration, certainly.

It could be software, but as Ernst says, could be a setting.  Also, could be hardware failure.  

Actually, how old is your Z3100?

Try looking at the suggestions I've made:

Try running a blast of canned air up under the carriage on the right side where the ESP is - never know- maybe some crap up under there.  If you have a mechanic's mirror, you could shine a bright light and see if anything looks "foggy".  Then figure a way to wipe it or clean it.

Don't be so quick to blame software.  I recently did that, thinking the color center "synchronize paper presets" was missing and I went around and around endlessly uninstalling/reinstalling until finally a friend helped me and proved that the software had changed, and what I was looking for existed in a different form.  Everything worked right after that.

I still can't calibrate the WOOD VENEER, but I can surely calibrate all Matte papers.

If it was me, I'd certainly look at the ESP (color sensor).  

Bryan Glynn (guy who did the belt replacement video- kaelaria here) said on his website:

"...One tip I forgot to show – while you have the carriage assembly out and are cleaning it, be sure to wipe clean the color sensor shutter mirror. It’s on the tiny trap door on the color sensor itself. It is often hazy and obscured over time which can fail the unit. Do not clean the sensor lens or emmiter underneath, it should not need it at all..."

EDIT:  See Diagrams of the Spectrophotometer Here

EDIT 2:  It came back to me that when I tried calibrating the wood veneer that it got to the end and wouldn't finsh the calibration install.  At one point, the calibration got hung in process - couldn't do anything.  Fortunately, I have the printer driver and HP Utility running on a VMWare machine running Windows 8.1 Pro and I was able to get it going again and tried another calibration from the Windows machine, which ALSO failed at the very end.  That tells me it's an issue either with the material being calibrated or an issue with the ESP, and NOT the software, mainly because the architecture is entirely different Windows to Mac OS.  It was shortly after the failure tests (tried 4 times on the wood veneer) that I went back and calibrated a Matte paper with ZERO problems.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:54:56 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »

Thanks Mark,

That is a very useful document. I didn't even know exactly where the sensor was. My Z is 8 years old so it probably needs to be taken apart and cleaned at the very least or replaced. We have a place here in Atlanta that does this work for $80.00 a visit if parts are available. I don't really want to take the printer apart and do all the servicing yet because my belt is still very good. I can actually linearize with QTR if I can't figure it out.

I have always had calibration failures on some kinds of silk fabric. It works on some and doesn't on some depending on the dynamic range of the material. If a media is too flat in high values I think you are going to see a failure to calibrate.

robertDthomas

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »

This is great stuff.  One reason I look frequently to these forums and help if I can (which is not too often).  Will look at the info and do this cleaning process.  Wish I had someone to com in to do a cleaning for $85.  In the NYC area so probably 10X that.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 04:25:23 am »

Mark,

A good summary you made there. Too often we forget the right solutions for the common Z problems and you packed them in an educating format.

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 09:02:05 pm »

Yea, he's done a great job and far more helpful than HP. I wish they realized what a great device they have and could devote a section of their website to us users. They would sell a lot more ink if they did.

I just printed two shows on kozo papers and my clients were thrilled at the tonality and dmax this ink can provide even on difficult media, and I made this profile and linearization last year with the onboard spectro.

john

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:36 am »

Had my Z3200 in storage for about 3 months and just got it back so ran through removing cartridges and shaking, head cleaning, print head alignment and then went to update calibration on some of my papers.  After several tries was not able to recalibrate Epson cold press natural.  I get through the process and the color chart looks ok but get an error message that the calibration process was aborted (must be right at the end as all seems to go well up to that point)  I tried some old HP professional semi gloss and that calibrated OK.

Any suggestions?

Usually I have less failures doing the calibration from the printer's panel itself than through the HP Utility software. When I check the calibration status of papers in HP Utility after a calibration from the printer's panel I see that the paper calibration status is updated to calibrated + the right date.

robertDthomas

Re: Z3200 can't recalibrate matte paper after 3 month storage _ FIXED
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:05 am »

Well to all of you who have mentioned the problem of calibrating matte papers I have finally been able to do so.
It is a bit embarrassing but The MK (Matte Black) was the culprit.  I should have noticed this earlier and had a clue when I was able to calibrate satin and glossy papers.  So a few MK/Red cleaning cycles and once that looked good I was able to calibrate with my matte papers.

Saved an out of warranty service call for that now all I have to do is decide if I want to tackle the power supply fan myself or call someone in for that.  Works OK for several days then starts the loud noise - shut off and then OK again after letting rest for few days.

Anyone used Joseph Merritt & Company for service???

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 10:15:21 am »

If you are handy, you might be able to replace the fan yourself:

FAN REPLACEMENT
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:17:00 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

robertDthomas

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 08:06:07 pm »

Thanks Mark,
A treasure trove of information and much appreciated.  Seems you have done it all on your Z as well as all your other equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up