Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to protect camera/lens when shooting from a sailing boat  (Read 6944 times)

marimagen

How to protect camera/lens when shooting from a sailing boat
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:40:35 am »

I'm supposed to take pictures during a sailing outing trip. I'll be using my D800e and a couple of lenses. How can I efficently protect them from the water/salt without buying expensive equipment? Thanks in advance, Marie

Simon Garrett

Re: How to protect camera/lens when shooting from a sailing boat
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:14:48 am »

I'm supposed to take pictures during a sailing outing trip. I'll be using my D800e and a couple of lenses. How can I efficently protect them from the water/salt without buying expensive equipment? Thanks in advance, Marie

Leave them at home?

That may not be an option, but gettting a D800e and lenses splashed with water - especially if it's salt water - is a risk.  When I've had to do anything like that, also not having any special kit, I've taken lots of large strong clear plastic bags, and tried to keep the camera inside the bags at all times, with at most the lens sticking out. 

But if it's a small boat or rough water - I'd leave the camera at home. 

Take pictures on a smart phone instead?

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:30:59 am »

I've done it more times than I care to remember.

Put a UV filter on the lens, use a sturdy lens shade, wrap the whole cam in a loose clear plastic bag sealing the opening around the lens shade itself with electrical tape or similar. Preferably use a zoom, forget about changing lenses at sea ( if you're in the open or on deck). If you need multiple lenses attach them to their own dedicated bod(ies).

If you're in the UK and need more advice, Beken of Cowes have a history as long as your photographic arm of photography at sea - it's their speciality.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:26:33 am »

My brother and his wife cruise the Maine coast from June through September every year, with Nikon DSLRs and they always have excellent photos to show. I am pretty sure they use plastic bags and UV filters whenever spray is likely, but not in calmer, clear weather. When the weather is really bad, the cameras stay stowed below, as the two of them have their hands full just operating the yacht.

So I think you have some good advice here. But do adapt to the conditions of the moment, and be ready to wipe immediately and rinse in drinking water in case of splashes.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:38:36 am »

The plastic bag solution in a more elegant (and more expensive) form:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1053704-REG/shape_waveff_waterproof_full_frame_wave.html

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:21:52 pm »

The D800e is weather sealed to some extent.  And some Nikkor lenses are also weather sealed.  They are not as fragile as some might fret over. I shoot in light rain routinely.  Depending how long I'm out I use a $5 Op/tech rain cover. Not that you want it out in heavy rain or constant splashing.

First...Store equipment in a dry bag or waterproof case like a Pelican when not out in use.  That protects it from both rain and dunking and will float.

This is one of the very few occasions where I might use a UV or Haze filter if it is salt spray.

The important part is afterwards.  Clean everything off and dry with cloth as soon as possible.  A slightly warm area for a reasonable period of time.  Storage with dessicant also is a good idea for the immediate drying.

Manoli

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:30:24 pm »

... First...Store equipment in a dry bag or waterproof case like a Pelican when not out in use.  That protects it from both rain and dunking and will float...

Dear dwswager,

I've no doubt your advice is offered with the best intentions, and forgive me for asking, but have you ever been out in 'serious shit' ?

Of course the OP isn't clear as to whether she's fair weather sailing or potentially out in what might euphemistically be described as 'variable conditions' and possibly in a competitive environment

Assuming the latter, the fastest way to get thrown overboard is to come along with a Pelican case. If you insist on doing so, make sure it's large enough to use as a life raft - you'll need it. Sailors don't appreciate extra luggage (particularly not when racing).

Secondly, the rain covers etc are all very nice and pretty, but what you need to factor in is the likelihood  of getting dunked in a wall of sea water crashing over the boat, either because the weather is bad or 'cos the driver has just buried the bow in a wave. The sort of dunking where water is running inside your clothing and down your back, where you're sodden throughout, where the hatches are closed to prevent ingress of water and the only thing on your mind is when do I get back on shore etc etc etc.  Dry anything is but a distant memory.

At times like these, which occur far more frequently than people envisage, simple is best - forget niceties. Salt water and electronics don't mix - and if Nikon find a trace of salt water inside their cam, your guarantee isn't worth a sodden rag !

I could go on, but I hope you've caught my drift ...
For adverse conditions , think of the yachting escapade in Wolf-of-Wall Street.
Of course, if Marie's only out for a sail on a pond, then your 5$ rain cover will suffice ...

[/Written in a light hearted vein and without any wish to cause offence.]

M

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:33:59 pm by Manoli »

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 02:45:12 pm »

Dear dwswager,

I've no doubt your advice is offered with the best intentions, and forgive me for asking, but have you ever been out in 'serious shit' ?

The original poster said "I'm supposed to take pictures during a sailing outing trip."[/i]  Sounded like a day on the bay, not America's Cup!   I actually was thinking he was shooting friends/family/acquaintances aboard the boat and maybe w/ some scenic backgrounds or maybe a corporate or social group function.  Didn't think that would be in "heavy shit"!

If he intends to shoot races aboard ship, then he needs a whole different equipment and skill set.  I doubt a respectable captain would even allow him aboard if he wasn't already an experienced sailor at which point, he would already know the type of environment, equipment and skills he would need.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:56:17 pm by dwswager »

Manoli

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 02:53:38 pm »

I actually was thinking he was shooting friends/family/acquaintances aboard the boat and maybe w/ some scenic backgrounds. 

I know, I know - you're right.
It's just when I saw 'Pelican case' - seasonal frivolity got the better of me.

M

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:45 pm »

I know, I know - you're right.
It's just when I saw 'Pelican case' - seasonal frivolity got the better of me.

M

I've shot para-sailing aboard speedboats before.  No rain, but lots of spray and jostling.  Dry bag was necessary because you have to ride a waverunner out to the boats off the beach.

marimagen

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:11 am »

Well, I can't leave the camera at home because the purpose of this outing is to take shots with it from the boat. The plastic case looks great but it's a bit expensive for just one outing. I'd buy it if I were going to do this more often. I look for a "nice" plastic bag. Thanks for all your input. Marie
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:55:45 am by marimagen »

AFairley

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 11:30:50 am »

And of course you'll be using the neck strap or hand loop at all times.  :)

dwswager

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 12:44:32 pm »

Well, I can't leave the camera at home because the purpose of this outing is to take shots with it from the boat. The plastic case looks great but it's a bit expensive for just one outing. I'd buy it if I were going to do this more often. I look for a "nice" plastic bag. Thanks for all your input. Marie

You have 3 basic options depending on the conditions you are likely to encounter.

1. Covering/plastic bag...basically trying to keep the camera from getting soaked.  Moisture likely to get on camera
2. Splash proof enclosure that will keep the camera dry in harsh conditions
3. Waterproof case/bag that keeps camera dry while submerged at some depth.

The second 2 options tend to get expensive because there has to be an optically clear cover built in for the lens to shoot through and has to be somewhat durable.  I used a Ewa Marine bag before and it worked OK.

It really would be helpful if you provided some detail about the boat, outing and types of images you are being requested to make.  For example, a 3 hour corporate function on a decent sized sail boat would probably cause me to pack some spray proteciton, but I would only put it on if it seemed like an issue.  I would probably have my D810 and 24-70mm f/2.8 which are both weather sealed and not really be too worried except about dropping it overboard!  A good wrist stap to keep it on my hand would be something I would want and possibly a chest pack to keep it out of danger when not in use.

marimagen

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 04:42:01 am »

It's a three hour outing on a pretty big boat. I don't have much details but apparently the biggest issue will be spray. I suppose that if I enclose the camera in a plastic bag, I'll have to work in manual mode. I'm going to do some tests with plastic warp. I'll be mainly taking photos of the coast (that's the "official" project) but also of other sailing boats which will be closer (for fun). I'll be using my 24-70. Thanks again for all your inputs. Marie

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 02:45:56 pm »

Insurance....

dwswager

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »

It's a three hour outing on a pretty big boat. I don't have much details but apparently the biggest issue will be spray. I suppose that if I enclose the camera in a plastic bag, I'll have to work in manual mode. I'm going to do some tests with plastic warp. I'll be mainly taking photos of the coast (that's the "official" project) but also of other sailing boats which will be closer (for fun). I'll be using my 24-70. Thanks again for all your inputs. Marie

Pack a weather cover setup that you have tested before hand, but I suspect you might not need it.  Based on who is onboard, how they are dressed and what the event actually is, it may be unnecessary.  Well dressed folks are going to want to get wet either. 

Nikon D810 Product Tour - Shown at about 19 seconds is the construction using magnesium alloy body with water pouring over the camera.  Of course, you would want a weather sealed lens as well.  In fact, in light rain and spray, I'm more concerned about the lens than the camera.  I really now recommend the cheap optech rainshields I mention earlier.  Buy the right size for the lenses you will use.  I use them in light rain with the 70-200mm f/2.8 on a monopod w/ and w/o the TC14 teleconverter.  You can get your hands into the camera to manipulate.  Putting it on is the big hassle versus using the camera with it on.  Get 2 for like $7.
Pages: [1]   Go Up