Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piccure+  (Read 4010 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Piccure+
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:29:46 am »

I downloaded piccure+ for a free trial run as a plugin in Photoshop CC.  Preliminary results are impressive.  See the attached before & after 100% crop of the basalt columns near Aldeyjarfoss in Iceland.  The original file was a blurred long exposure (6 secs) capture.  The 'Motion Blur' option was chosen for this case.  The software does require computational horsepower.  While I didn't time my run, I reckon it took over 2 minutes for this 5D Mark III RAW file on the 6 core new (late 2013) Mac Pro with 64GB RAM.  I probably can improve on the result by giving it more points in the image to consider.

Any other experiences with this software?

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
Re: Piccure+
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:25:17 am »

Piccure+ can be extremely effective in sharpening images -- noticeably more so than LR/ACR, DxO or even DPP. As they point out, it works better on low-noise images -- I don't bother when images are noisy, as there is no point. Also, as they also say, don't sharpen your images before running it, which means disabling stuff like DxO lens softness too.

Sometimes you have to watch high contrast edges because it can introduce a black line where it shouldn't. I've reported this as an issue to the developers.  Likewise fringing can be accentuated if you're not paying attention.

It's very useful that you can run it as an action in Photoshop. I've set it up so that I apply it in a layer. If need be I can then reduce the opacity to lessen its strength.

On my quad-core i7 sandy bridge laptop it takes several minutes to run on a typical 18-21 megapixel image. For those with files twice as big I imagine it will take twice as long. Unless you're into running stuff in batches overnight, this program is far better suited to images you craft rather than crank out by the hundred. Perhaps in future they can offload some of the processing the GPU.

Finally, it's an expensive program! If you want 10% off contact me.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:06:13 am »

Any other experiences with this software?

Hi Rajan,

I took a quick look at the current state of affairs, and Piccure+ is starting to become better at what it's supposed to do. But it occasionally still produces artifacts that other sharpening utilities, notably FocusMagic, don't produce, like dark edges. Of course, reducing the amount of sharpening will also reduce the artifacts, but then the sharpness will also be restored less effectively. It's also very slow, but that might improve over time.

I've mainly looked at well focused images without blur, using Piccure+ as a Capture sharpening tool, and there it doesn't provide me any real benefits over e.g. FocusMagic or Topaz Infocus, especially for the significantly higher price. They are unclear (i.e. I couldn't find info) about the update/upgrade regime, so there may be more hidden cost ahead.

I've yet to do some more tests with blurred images, and images with variable amounts of blur (e.g. center versus corners) or motion blur (like your example), to see if it adds something that the alternatives don't.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:18:13 am »

Hi Bart,

Do you use typically use a standard setting in InFocus, or do you adjust the sliders substantially every time to suit the particular image? If you typically use a standard setting, do you mind sharing what it is? I have practically no experience with InFocus, and your observation piqued my interest. However I'm struggling to get it to produce output comparable to Piccure+. It doesn't help that there are 6 values and 1 setting to manipulate! Piccure+ is simpler in this respect.

Many thanks,
Damon

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:28:13 pm »

Do you use typically use a standard setting in InFocus, or do you adjust the sliders substantially every time to suit the particular image? If you typically use a standard setting, do you mind sharing what it is? I have practically no experience with InFocus, and your observation piqued my interest. However I'm struggling to get it to produce output comparable to Piccure+. It doesn't help that there are 6 values and 1 setting to manipulate! Piccure+ is simpler in this respect.

Hi Damon,

I'll try and be relatively brief, in order not to get too much off-topic. Infocus is a tool that addresses sharpening of blurred image content, although since it's in its first version (sofar) there are some things that could be improved.

Infocus first addresses what we could call Capture sharpening with the controls of its Deblur panel. This will only allow to restore detail from  image content that got blurred during Capture. If one attempts to do more (Creative sharpening of certain feature sizes), then artifacts will quickly start spoiling the result. It allows to address several different types of blur, Generic / Out-of-Focus / Straight motion / Unknown, each having a specific type of Point-Spread- Function (PSF) to be used in reversing the effect. Generic and Unknown are the common types to use on normal images that have some optical blur, and all images have at least that.

The Blur radius setting is the most important, it should not be set too high. I would rather err on the safe side than introduce artifacts that are much harder to deal with in further post-processing steps. Important to understand is that optimal values for well focused images with good lenses in the Generic setting, will vary with the aperture value used. I typically encounter values between 0.6 to 0.9 for my high quality lenses when used at moderate Aperture values on my camera which has an Optical Low-pass Filter. Cameras without an OLPF tend to produce aliasing artifacts that hinder proper Capture sharpening, so relatively low values (0.5-0.7) may need to be used in that case. The Unknown/Estimate method does well when used on a region of well focused detail, and a radius of more than 1 or 2 is rarely needed.

The use of very narrow apertures (the definition of 'narrow' depends a bit on sensel pitch), will justify using somewhat larger radius values.

Since Infocus uses a relatively aggressive type of deconvolution algorithm, the 'Edge-softness' and 'Suppress Artifacts' sliders will have to be used to taste, in order to avoid ringing, stairstepping, and halo artifacts.

Now, after the inherent sharpness has been restored with the Deblur panel settings, we can add a bit of more traditional (acutance) sharpening with the Sharpen panel. Since the Deblur operation reduced the radius of residual blur, it's common to use a small(er) radius here, unless one wishes to enhance some larger detail sizes. The Micro-contrast control adjusts the local contrast of the smallest detail, which can counteract the effects of veiling glare, and boost the overall impression of sharpness.

Since the current version of Infocus has no controls for addressing sharpness fall-off towards the corners of the image, one could produce two versions of the same image (assuming well focused image content), one sharpened for the center, and one sharpened for the corners, and blend them with a radial gradient mask in e.g. Photoshop.

Infocus requires a lot of tweaking for the optimal results, although user made generic presets can help to get the proper basic settings to something generically usable. One could for instance make defaults for various aperture settings, to counteract different levels of diffraction blur, or images that are downsampled (with a certain algorithm) for web-publishing.

Piccure+ on the other hand attempts to analyze the image content and automatically determine the optimal type of PSF to use (optionally helped by user input about where to sample in the image), and one just has to adjust the strength of the correction. Noise is not helpful, neither for the analysis, nor for the restoration, although its Noise suppression control does help.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »

Bart has provided a detailed answer re. Topaz InFocus.  I use a default preset for 'Generic' blur with a Blur Radius of 0.85, and Supress Artifacts set to 0.20.  For most images, this works fine but you have to examine it closely and vary the parameters if need be.  This is best deployed as a Capture Sharpening tool.  Initially I didn't think of Piccure+ as a Capture Sharpening tool but rather as a tool to salvage significantly blurred images.  Their Lens+ blur option claims to improve upon the results of mediocre lenses and/or lens imperfections of not-so-mediocre lenses.  I have yet to test that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:05:59 pm by Rajan Parrikar »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:00:09 pm »

FYI: piccure+ has an update out today where an improvement in speed is claimed.

http://piccureplus.com/changelog-for-piccure-v2-5/

Pages: [1]   Go Up