Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF8400 and iPF6400 Rebates Good Deal?  (Read 3897 times)

stockjock

Canon iPF8400 and iPF6400 Rebates Good Deal?
« on: December 20, 2014, 11:11:26 pm »

The $800 rebate on the Canon iPF8400 and the $300 rebate on the iPF6400 are expiring on 12/31/14 and I wondered if those were particularly higher rebates than normal and if Canon always ran rebates?

I've been happily using an Epson 3880 for years but I want to start making larger prints and the reports on clogging on all the other large format Epson printers has me concerned since my printing tends to be chunky and the printer may sit for a month or two without printing.  As far as I can tell the Canon printers have a better reputation.  I know that has been discussed to depth in other topics but I would welcome any input since I am a newbie to printing larger than 17".

Also, LexJet seems to be offering the  iPF8400 and iPF6400 at significantly lower prices than B&H or Adorama.  But there is no mention of the rebates on their site.  Does anybody know if the rebate offer applies to printers purchased through LexJet or if there is some other "catch"

Thanks.

brianrybolt

Re: Canon iPF8400 and iPF6400 Rebates Good Deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:42:23 am »

Phone them!

tsjanik

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:15:06 am »

You can find the rebate at Lexjet if you click support>rebates.    Atlex and IT Supplies have the iPF6400 for $1899 as well ($1599 after rebate).  I have a 4900 and need a larger printer, I would likely stay with Epson since I love the output and have so much experience unclogging the 4900 at this point  >:( ; however, the 6400 is about $1000 less than a 7900, so maybe it's time to try Canon.

Tom

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 12:25:50 pm »

they are phenomenal printers at great prices right now. run away from that epson. I highly recommend Shades of Paper or It Supplies. both fabulous companies to deal with and both will get you the best price out there.

Landscapes

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:48 pm »

I would likely stay with Epson since I love the output and have so much experience unclogging the 4900 at this point  >:(
Tom

I chuckled when I read this.  Yes, unclogging printers will be a skill that will have to go unused if you buy the Canon.  This isn't a bad thing, unless you like to tinker more than you like to print.  Its true that the heads will eventually die, but isn't it great to just be able to buy new ones and be up and running as opposed to having to deal with a tech person to come by which would be really expensive if you're out of warranty?  Never mind the fact that the Epson can't even have channels for both blacks at the same time.  I really don't understand why anyone would buy an Epson these days unless they need the straight paper path or they feel there is the slightest bit of resolution to be gained for the different dither pattern.  Both produce excellent output, and hence it comes down to user experience, and I just don't understand how Epson is ahead here.  (ok... roll paper loading sounds like its easier on the big Epsons versus the big canons given that on the 8400, the roll is loaded from the bottom... but not an issue on the smaller 6400)

I just bought one myself and did the whole rebate electronically online and it was approved within a day.  Didn't even have to send in paperwork.  When I buy Epson paper with a rebate, its far too much paperwork.  They really make it difficult so you don't do it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:40:09 pm by Landscapes »

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »

I bought my 6400 almost two years ago w/$300 rebate. So I would conclude they are always running rebates at some point each year.

BTW, great printer, but you need to make certain you will use it. I don't use it all that much and the starter ink cartridges, which I supposed would last a decent amount of time given my printing demands, were quickly used by the maintenance cycles.

stockjock

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:09:17 pm »

I bought my 6400 almost two years ago w/$300 rebate. So I would conclude they are always running rebates at some point each year.

BTW, great printer, but you need to make certain you will use it. I don't use it all that much and the starter ink cartridges, which I supposed would last a decent amount of time given my printing demands, were quickly used by the maintenance cycles.

Yes, I have read that the maintenance cycles consume quite a bit of ink.  What happens if you just power the printer off?  Does it still not clog AND not use ink if you don't print for a month or two at a time?

alain

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 05:56:10 pm »

Can you give some info on you're usage and the amount of ink it uses in maintenance cycles per month (or year)?

grnbrg

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 02:09:12 pm »

I don't have any of these printers but have been doing a lot of research on them lately.  One reviewer (user?) said that the printer uses more ink when you turn it on and off than if you leave it on all the time.  Can anyone confirm this, and is it true for Epson and/or Canon?

Thanks.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 02:18:49 pm »

I leave my printer on all the time. I print anywhere from daily to once every two weeks. I have zero issues with wasted ink from cleaning cycles.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 02:38:00 pm »

Can you give some info on you're usage and the amount of ink it uses in maintenance cycles per month (or year)?

My current 8300 maintenance tank is at 40% and has been in place over a year.  That's incredibly good compared to my previous 9880 and 7800.  I leave my printer on all the time and if there is any incremental loss of ink to maintenance cycles it doesn't amount to much at all.  But I print almost every day, so maybe that affects ink use in a good way.

Since the latest 1.26 firmware update the printer seems to do either fewer or no scheduled head cleanings of its own volition, except very rarely for brief "head cleanings" mostly at the conclusion very big prints.  But it does wake up about once a day and agitate the inks.  I have heard that the new firmware characterizes how the printer is being used and adjusts its automatic maintenance chores accordingly.

The bottom line for wide format printers is that they are production machines and will be far less economical if used sparingly.  The economic decision to buy one has to be seen in the pragmatic light of profit per print after costs, or how important the ability to closely control print quality is to the owner, or how advantageous it is to quickly supply clients with prints, etc.  That puts the artist and hobbyist with small output in a tough spot because of highly deferred or no income at all from printed work to balance recurring costs.  There's no question that low duty cycles will result will in greater costs.  You either need to making money from the machine, or you need to want to make prints so bad it hurts.

PS there will probably be another Canon promotion around Easter.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:44:49 pm »

I didn't read the response here, but www.promarketinc.com had the best price on this with the $700 rebate if I'm not mistaken.
 I did a chat with the owner. The guy is very knowledgeable and helpful.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up