Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing out of Mavericks to an Epson 7800--PS and LR megaquestions  (Read 550 times)

Pete JF

I've been happily buzzing along printing from my G5 (Tiger) and my Sony Artisan for many years.

Lately I've been forced to make some upgrades and I (with help from another thread subject here) purchased an NEC with Spectraview..

So..Im about to start printing a project I've been working on for a while and this will be my first time printing through "Mavericks".

I'm printing from my Epson 7800 and my final prints are usually on Epson Exhibition Fiber and I make work prints on Premium Luster (because I was gifted with a huge stock of it)

Is printing in Mavericks or any of the later OS' any different than the Tiger days?

I've always had good luck with the canned profiles in both BW and Color..

Does Mr. Chan have any updated printing workflows that I don't know about..looked briefly, couldn't find. I pretty much use his "Srgb" scheme for printing black and white.

Hoping someone can run through any things to look out for in the later OS' color management schemes.

Also..IS it fairly simple to print accurately out of Lighroom? Never done it.

Im away from my studio for a while and trying to grab hold of this info for when I get back..hopefully you guys can get me prepped.

thanks!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Printing out of Mavericks to an Epson 7800--PS and LR megaquestions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 09:15:04 pm »

By G5 are you meaning a power mac G5? I think Mavericks requires an Intel processor.

Regarding your question there were many changes to the printing pipeline in leopard and snow leopard with some having many challenges. Upgrading from tiger to any version may see some of these same problems. Lots of old articles on solving the problems.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:12:05 pm by Wayne Fox »

Pete JF

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »

Sorry Wayne.."upgrades" meaning: a new laptop that I'll be printing from quite a bit. I was unclear.

Im running Tiger on the oooold G5. Still does what it does. I keep it because my Artisan software was terminated at the Tiger OS and I like printing and final editing via that monitor. It's getting old though and I'm transitioning.

Mavericks is on a MBP and that's hooked up to an NEC monitor that was used in the NBA for NRR and then brought to lunch by FDR who told them to STFU before he called the folks at ARP who DGAF about it in the first place and hooked it up to an Epson 7800.

:  )

I just need to know what sort of mental cramps to expect printing through a much much newer OS.

Im guessing the color management / printing scheme has changed somewhat?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:28:14 am »

Well that changes things quite a bit. 

Since it's a new computer and  your other one is pretty old, I assume you will be installing everything from scratch.Most of the problems were due to upgrading an existing OS build.  Leopard/Snow Leopard required new drivers, and often required cleaning out old stuff. 

Enjoy the new machine, sounds like a pretty big upgrade. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up