Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking lightroom catalog, main PC to print server?  (Read 1725 times)

disneytoy

Networking lightroom catalog, main PC to print server?
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:36:04 am »

I have a dilemma. I'm runny latest LR on a PC x64 System 7. I will be setting up an Epson 9890 printer in another room 50 feet away. I would like to have a "print server" PC hooked up to the 9890.

My main work will be on the Main Lightroom PC, but how do I access the LR catalog and files necessary to print from my PRINT SERVER PC?

I'd need to be able to tweak adjustments. So it doesn't make sense just sending the print via ethernet to the 9890.

does that make sense?

Do I need a Network HD, that both PCs can access and edit the catalog? How does that work? Say I adjust Clarity on my main PC, Then when printing I need to lower Clarity. Can two instances of LR coexist with a single network harddrive?

Not sure how to go about this process. The Printer server PC will be a lower end older PC so not great for the main work.

Any thoughts?

PhotoEcosse

Re: Networking lightroom catalog, main PC to print server?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:16:33 am »

Not sure why you don't simply connect your printer to your main PC via WiFi.

My Epson R3000 is connected by WiFi to a PC in another room and, althoug it is arguably slightly slower than a wired connection, it is not significant. And, of course, I can operate all the printer controls from Lightroom and the Epson driver software from my PC.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 05:27:43 am »

I'd need to be able to tweak adjustments. So it doesn't make sense just sending the print via ethernet to the 9890.

does that make sense?

No, not to me!  I can't see why you don't print from the main machine. 

Why do you need to tweak adjustments?  If you have a calibrated/profiled monitor, and you are colour-managing to the printer (using printer profiles - either profiles supplied by the printer or paper maker or your own profiles) then the prints should be pretty close without tweaking. 

Or is it just the convenience of printing from a computer in the same room as the printer, which would make more sense?

Anyway, I've not tried it but I'm told Lightroom doesn't like network drives for the catalogue. See https://forums.adobe.com/message/4261730#4261730#4261730 or https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1373212?tstart=0 for example.  I don't think things have changed since then. 

Onslow

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:17:13 am »

I have a dilemma. I'm runny latest LR on a PC x64 System 7. I will be setting up an Epson 9890 printer in another room 50 feet away. I would like to have a "print server" PC hooked up to the 9890.

My main work will be on the Main Lightroom PC, but how do I access the LR catalog and files necessary to print from my PRINT SERVER PC?

does that make sense?

Do I need a Network HD, that both PCs can access and edit the catalog? How does that work? Say I adjust Clarity on my main PC, Then when printing I need to lower Clarity. Can two instances of LR coexist with a single network harddrive?

Not sure how to go about this process. The Printer server PC will be a lower end older PC so not great for the main work.

Any thoughts?
In my case, I run similar to you on the PC. I run my 7800 via ethernet through to another room in my house about 40feet away. I have color management setup so what comes out is what my eizo shows me. I have access to the print driver and the presets so I am not sure what advantage a print server would give you?
Cheers

Onslow

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »

With regards to the catalog, you can't. While you CAN put images on a network drive, you CAN'T put the catalog there...it won't work because Lightroom is specifically designed to ONLY work on a local drive.

As other have said, you would be better off connecting the print via the network either cabled or wifi.

disneytoy

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:05:08 pm »

The 9890 is large printer and will be in the front room, and my main editing is done in a back room on a 52" display. I always do a small test print)s) before commiting toan expensiove pieces of 40 x 60" paper or canvas.  Even with calibration or a profile thatr doesn't really represent say Exhibition Water5color pper, or Matte canvas.

I really don't want to hit print in one room and while LR is churning, run to the front room and see what's happening.

Seems reasonable to hae a small computer attached to the printer, and execute only the printing. Maybe do a 8x110, then examine, maybe needs more sharpening, or has too much, Then run the large print. That's where craftsmanship comes in, Not every image on every profiled paper or canvas is exactly the same. And my taste may be different when I print. Maybe I'd like it .25 brighter, or reduce the magenta .10. If that were true I could just upload to Costco to print.

So I'm guess it is noit possible to access the LR catalog on the "printer PC, and if needed adjust a slider or 2, and have those adjustments stored for future printing.

Thanks

Max

aduke

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:11:05 pm »

Consider a sneaker-net. You could put your catalog on an external drive and bring the drive with you when you decide to print. Plug it into the "print server" and away you go.

Alan

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:01:50 pm »

So I'm guess it is noit possible to access the LR catalog on the "printer PC, and if needed adjust a slider or 2, and have those adjustments stored for future printing.

Thanks

Max

But what you can do is to use a cloud service like Box that will sync files across different computers with your LR catalog & associated LR plugin folders in the sync folder (but be sure to exclude the preview folder unless you are planing to keep both computers on all the time for reasons I won't explain here) so the catalogs on both computers are synced and the same, and point the catalogs to image files on a network drive (or USB drive you physically move).  If you have LR set to store user presets with the catalog, those also will sync.  Note that You can only have one catalog open at a time, and have to make sure changes to your editing PC catalog have been fully synced to the print server catalog before you open it, which can take a little time.  This should accomplish what you want.

dreed

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:10 pm »

does that make sense?

You might also want to read this:
Can Lightroom use an external database?

I now use the same LR catalogue from multiple computers BUT ...
- the catalogue and previews are on an iSCSI drive on another server
- it is noticeably slower when starting
- I have to be careful to also disconnect iSCSI when I quit Lightroom

iSCSI doesn't really deal well with more than one computer accessing the same "hard drive" at the same time and similarly, you need to ensure that your computer always flushes its buffers for that device before using it from another. It is a very manual process to make it work without corruption or error however it is also very convenient.

For the most part, the best option for many people is put the catalogue on a USB 3.0 connected SSD drive or 2.5" HDD that they can move between computers. Don't forget that the catalogue will expect all of your photos to be in the same place, so if you keep everything under "My Pictures" on your primary workstation, you need to share that and connect it up on the workstation with the printer too - just moving the catalogue plus previews isn't enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up