Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7D MkII - Low light and high ISO  (Read 4733 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
7D MkII - Low light and high ISO
« on: December 20, 2014, 01:21:37 am »

I was out looking at Christmas lights with my family and I took my 7D2 and one lens (28-135). Nothing else. So this is handheld at ISO 3200. It has plenty of shadows to show high ISO problems and some softness from being handheld, blown lights, and a wide open lens. Focus was, I think, on the lights around the front door of the house.

I'll go back alone and shoot at ISO 100 on a tripod in a day or two but I thought this would be a nice test of high ISO. As I think you can see, the noise cleans up nicely and the shadows look pretty clean to me.

Not a systematic test by any means, but a nice idea of what the 7D2 can do. I would not even have tried this with my 50D.

Looks a little like a table top set-up doesn't it. It's not.

A Merry Christmas to everyone

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:23:52 am by rgs »

NancyP

Re: 7D MkII - Low light and high ISO
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 05:13:31 pm »

Nice lights display. That represents a fair amount of work.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:03:17 am »

I own a 7D and a Fuji X-T1.  I've taken test shots with my friend's 7D Mark II.  There are many, many, many things to love about the 7D Mark II.  Unfortunately I simply don't see an improvement in image quality over the 7D unless shooting JPEGs where the in camera NR is quite evident.

It doesn't seem to come close to the image quality of my X-T1 at ISO 6400.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xt1&attr13_1=canon_eos7dii&attr13_2=oly_em1&attr13_3=canon_eos7d&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=6400&attr16_1=6400&attr16_2=6400&attr16_3=6400&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0&y=0

Regards,
Ron

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 12:10:45 pm »

I own a 7D and a Fuji X-T1.  I've taken test shots with my friend's 7D Mark II.  There are many, many, many things to love about the 7D Mark II.  Unfortunately I simply don't see an improvement in image quality over the 7D unless shooting JPEGs where the in camera NR is quite evident.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xt1&attr13_1=canon_eos7dii&attr13_2=oly_em1&attr13_3=canon_eos7d&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=6400&attr16_1=6400&attr16_2=6400&attr16_3=6400&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0&y=0

Interesting rout.

Are there any specialized lenses that can go on the Fuji X-T1 (macro/telephoto), or can a person only use standard "catch all" lenses at this point?

Haven't really paid attention to this brand.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 03:35:43 pm »

I own a 7D and a Fuji X-T1.  I've taken test shots with my friend's 7D Mark II.  There are many, many, many things to love about the 7D Mark II.  Unfortunately I simply don't see an improvement in image quality over the 7D unless shooting JPEGs where the in camera NR is quite evident.

My friend who I bump into regularly on the sidelines has a 7D and now a 7DmkII.  We both think the 7DmkII has a small advantage at higher ISOs over the 5 year old 7D, but nothing to get too excited about.  From a functionality standpoint, the mkII is a good step up, though.  He seems to really like the AF performance on the mkII.  Never shot a Fuji, but both my D7100 and D810 clearly distance themselves from the both versions of the 7DmkII on data quality though neither has the throughput speed of either! 

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »

Interesting rout.

Are there any specialized lenses that can go on the Fuji X-T1 (macro/telephoto), or can a person only use standard "catch all" lenses at this point?

Haven't really paid attention to this brand.

First, let me be clear, the X-T1 is NOT a sports or wildlife camera.  The 7D and 7D2 blow it away for those use cases.  I love the 7D2 for the AF, frame rate, 5D3 style set up, GPS, compass, etc.  I was hot to ditch my 7D and upgrade to the 7D2 but I've held back when my high ISO tests didn't realize much difference from my old 7D in terms of image quality in RAW.  Now I'm hanging on to the 7D to see what Canon may do in the first half of 2015.

Fuji has a decent and growing line of lenses.  http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/
Regards,
Ron

John Koerner

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 12:38:30 am »

First, let me be clear, the X-T1 is NOT a sports or wildlife camera.  The 7D and 7D2 blow it away for those use cases.  I love the 7D2 for the AF, frame rate, 5D3 style set up, GPS, compass, etc.  I was hot to ditch my 7D and upgrade to the 7D2 but I've held back when my high ISO tests didn't realize much difference from my old 7D in terms of image quality in RAW.  Now I'm hanging on to the 7D to see what Canon may do in the first half of 2015.
Fuji has a decent and growing line of lenses.  http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

Thanks for the follow up.

Looks like the only macro lens they have is a 60mm, which is all but useless in the field on live subjects.

Seems like a really nice camera though for general photography.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 09:33:39 am »

Thanks for the follow up.

Looks like the only macro lens they have is a 60mm, which is all but useless in the field on live subjects.

Seems like a really nice camera though for general photography.

Fuji did announce two new Macro Extension Tubes.  I'm not sure how they'd do with your style of photography though.  Here's the info on the extensions.
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n141120_03.html

I'm really thrilled with the X-T1.  The lenses, sensor, size, weight and ergonomics make it my favorite camera for walkarounds and street photography.  My DSLRs now seem so clunky and heavy.   :)
Regards,
Ron

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »

Fuji did announce two new Macro Extension Tubes.  I'm not sure how they'd do with your style of photography though.  Here's the info on the extensions.

Now that sensor performance has gotten so much better, extension tubes are a great addition to anyone's kit.  A little boost in ISO easily compensates for the light lost due to extension.  I've been using Extension and the Nikon 5T and 6T diopters for closeup images since film, especially since I rarely pack a macro lens unless I know there are specific applications.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:58:10 pm »

Well I came to the 7D2 from a (well used and trusted) 50D. Even though the 50D will still be used when I need to bodies, there is a noticeable IQ advantage to the 7D2 and the high ISO abilities are really impressive. Before buying the 7D2, I considered a FF body but that would require at least one additional lens (some would think that's a good thing) and using the aging technology of the 50D as a second body. So I decided to buy Canon's most advanced crop body and then decide later about FF.

As to Fuji, it comes as no surprise to me that their cameras are impressive. I have been around long enough to remember their view camera lenses, their enlarging lenses, and their magnificent series of simple fixed lens roll film cameras. I always preferred the green film boxes to the yellow ones. I still have a Fuji photo vest that was a free gift if you bought enough film. So I have confidence that Fuji will continue to produce good (perhaps unique and very useful) cameras.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 05:24:30 pm »

While the Fuji doesn't have telephoto macro lenses (don't know if the planned 90 will be a macro), you can adapt most macro lenses short of m43. You only lose the autofocus.

John Koerner

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 06:24:55 pm »

I'm really thrilled with the X-T1.  The lenses, sensor, size, weight and ergonomics make it my favorite camera for walkarounds and street photography.  My DSLRs now seem so clunky and heavy.   :)

Thank you.

The weight does get to be a hassle, true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up