Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aurora  (Read 1499 times)

sdwilsonsct

Aurora
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:53:51 pm »

Any ideas on removing the flare beside the moon?  ???

Roman Racela

Re: Aurora
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »

Lots of careful clone stamping, patience, soda and snacks. I hope that helps.

Any ideas on removing the flare beside the moon?  ???

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:27:41 pm »

Use of the Patch tool and Clone tool will do it.  A couple of minutes for web sized use, a little more if you want to print large.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 12:10:40 pm »

This link may provide some ideas (especially her second example) -

http://youtu.be/9OQ0gveIYTE

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:17:42 pm »

Many thanks, Rajan and Roman. Aperture seems unable to deal with cloning the smooth gradations in this area, but I'll try again.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 02:21:23 pm »

My prefered is the 2nd.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

leuallen

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »

If using PS is allowed. Cloning/patching in my opinion is not the way to go, to hard to get graduations proper and show light rays to the right. Attached is a quick attempt using the following method. Marquee a section from approximately the vertical center of the moon to the left. Make it a little larger than you think you'll need, the excess will be masked out latter. Jump the marqueed selection to a new layer. Transform horizontally (flip) and move  so that the moon looks round. Add a mask to the jumped layer. With a small, soft black brush paint in to blend the jumped layer to the layer beneath. Paint in the tree branches as carefully as possible. At this point there will be some discolorization and density variation.

For color (1) make a bush and set it to color blend mode in the drop down at the top of the screen, not the layers dialog, (2) make a blank layer and set it to color blend mode. Adjust the opacity/flow of the brush to something like 50/50, you may have to experiment with this. With the alt key held down select a good color, a color near what you want a section of the image changed to. On the new layer, paint over the discolored area until it starts to match the desired color. Change color selections for different parts of the image as required. The color should start to be looking good but the densities may be off.

To fix the densities. Make a dodge/burn layer of neutral gray. Hold down the alt key and click the new layer icon at the bottom of the layer dialog. This will bring up a dialog box. For the blending mode select Overlay and click the 'Fill with Overlay neutral color (50% gray)'. Create a brush with Opacity 100% and flow of about 3%. If you use this brush with white it will lighten, black will darken. Go over the appropriate areas as needed. The low flow allows a gradual build up to the desired density.

This is best done with a Wacom (painting). Can be done with a mouse but more difficult and not as precise. Since I am use to this type of retouching it only took me a couple of minutes. If this is mostly new, it will take you longer. It is non destructive. For example, if you get the color wrong you can simply erase it and repaint or if too heavy you can use the eraser at about 20% to reduce.

There is one other trick that was not needed in this image and that is saturation. Similar to color, saturation can be controlled in the same way.To increase saturation, make a new layer and set to blend mode Saturation. Use a brush whose mode is set to Saturation and adjust flow and opacity to allow gradual change. Set the color to any strong highly saturated color.

To reduce saturation, make a layer and set the blend mode to Saturation. Brush set to blend Hue and color to white (or black). Low flow. I use this frequently because D/B often increase the saturation in the shadows or on skin. With this method the bad saturation can be gently brushed away.

I often use this combination of four layers because what you have to control is color, density, and saturation. Note control of saturation require two layers: one to increase, the other to decrease.

Larry

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 11:29:50 am »

Larry,
Thank you for this helpful reply. I look forward to working through it, the example looks very promising. I appreciate the time you took to write it down.

Thierry, here is another version of 2 that is kind of fun.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:09:21 pm »

Larry,
Thank you for this helpful reply. I look forward to working through it, the example looks very promising. I appreciate the time you took to write it down.

Thierry, here is another version of 2 that is kind of fun.

Wow, the (semi-)invisible man. Seriously, nice work.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:41 pm »

Glad you like it Bob. I am challenged by retaining the transparency while cutting down the noise. Working on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up