Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Impression experience  (Read 2703 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Topaz Impression experience
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:34:51 am »

For those who are interested in digital painting, I downloaded and tried Topaz Impression. I have been Topaz Simplify with good results, but this new program leaves me very dissapointed.

Below are the comments I sent the Tech people at Topaz

"I am trying to use Impression.

It take almost 2 minutes to load in all the preset previews.

Every time I change to another group of presets, more time is needed to load all the previews—one has to wait before being able to move sliders around.

Every time a slider is moved, excessive time is required to load the change.

I even tried reducing the size of the file, ands too much time is required after every change is made—this not true of your other software.

If one tries to evaluate several presets, too much time is required and in the end, the one you are on is not clearly labeled so you do not know which one you are looking at.

A simple "undo" command is not available.

Considering all the above, this program is not ready for prime time and in my opinion should not have been released until the operation is much faster and smoother."

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Some Guy

Re: Topaz Impression experience
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:06:05 am »

I bought Topaz Glow and it is very buggy within Photoshop CS6 in that it will not open.  It does work in Lightroom and as a stand alone.  Speed isn't an issue for me at 3.4Ghz i7 with 12GB RAM (Windows 8.1 64).  Compared to DxO Optics Pro 10 Elite PRIME RAW processing, it's lightning fast.

I think Topaz is having issues moving into the 64 bit environment where most other filters of theirs were 36 bit.  Probably why it won't work in the photoFXlab stand alone either. They have made a lot of updates to Impression, and one for Glow already which is still refusing to open as a filter in CS6.

Glow is sort of interesting though - if and when they fix it.

SG

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »

It take almost 2 minutes to load in all the preset previews.

It could be caused by a slow or overloaded computer. I'm running Impression in CS5 on i-5, 8GB, Win 8.1, 120GB SSD computer and "All Presets" load in a few seconds ("Featured presets" are practically instantaneous). I haven't noticed a delay when using the sliders. What is your hardware configuration?

The latest release of Impression contains over 100 presets and that slows down the loading. If you use Featured or Your Own presets option with limited number of presets, that will speed up the loading.

I agree that the program could use more streamlining and Undo function, hopefully we'll it get in early 2015. The good thing is that all current and future updates are free.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:55:35 pm by LesPalenik »

chez

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 05:14:00 pm »

If digital painting is what you want, I can whole heartedly recommend Corel Painter. Fantastic program with great results. Runs quickly as well.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:51:07 pm »

I just upgraded to Painter 2015 and I agree completely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up