Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X-Series Camera Firmware Updates Now Available  (Read 7038 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Fujifilm X-Series Camera Firmware Updates Now Available
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:09:15 am »

Fujifilm has now released the scheduled firmware updates for its X-Pro1, XE-1, XE-2 and X-T1 cameras.  I believe this is a global link to the download page that will work from anywhere; no doubt there are other entry points from the various Fujifilm national sites.  I just finished updating an X-E2 and an X-T1 with no difficulties.

M.Piq

Re: Fujifilm X-Series Camera Firmware Updates Now Available
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:33:03 am »

Completely silent shutter release. Awesome!!!

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:35 pm »

Completely silent shutter release. Awesome!!!

Agreed. Also, using the thumb button on the X-T1 for focus now uses phase detect, so it's faster. It's the only Fuji that I've tried that uses the thumb button for focus in a manner similar to DSLRs. I wish my X Pro 1 would do it the same way...
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:59:24 pm »

Does one have to use the electronic shutter for the silent release?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 04:34:18 am »

Does one have to use the electronic shutter for the silent release?

Yes, and sound turned off in the menu. All I can hear is the iris closing down and opening when pressing the shutter button. Go to manual exposure and it's utterly silent.
Just a heads up. When using the electronic shutter, because the exposure is made reading one line at a time on the sensor, although each line may be read at 1/32,000 of a second, the total time to read the entire sensor may be as slow as 1/10th second. My guess is it's closer to 1/30 second but either way you can't use it for "action" photos.
David

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 05:55:32 am »

Installed on my X-E2 but now the flash fires the red eye reduction pre-flash each time despite the fact that I've disabled that function. Does anyone know if I'm missing something or should I talk to Fuji?
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:46:03 am »

Very strange to take exposures without the sound of the shutter.  The electronic shutter also does not do good under certain lighting like Fluorescent.  I'll be publishing  a sizable article on the X-T1 on the 24th.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Chris Kern

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:10 am »

Installed on my X-E2 but now the flash fires the red eye reduction pre-flash each time despite the fact that I've disabled that function. Does anyone know if I'm missing something or should I talk to Fuji?

Not happening here, so presumably it's not a bug in the firmware patch.  Maybe a patch installer problem?  I'd talk to Fujifilm customer support.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:23:19 am »

Very strange to take exposures without the sound of the shutter.  The electronic shutter also does not do good under certain lighting like Fluorescent.  I'll be publishing  a sizable article on the X-T1 on the 24th.

Kevin Raber

Excellent, Kevin.  I'm looking forward to the article.  A very nice holiday gift  :)
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:37:56 pm »

Kevin Raber

Thanks, Kevin.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading the article.  FWIW the 28-135 is a solid lens for street as well.  Combined with the 10-24 I feel like I have a very useful range. 

I have no qualms using ISO 6400 with the X-T1.  What noise exists is quite manageable. 
Regards,
Ron

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 04:11:37 pm »

Very strange to take exposures without the sound of the shutter.

When I first tried the silent shutter mode on my Pany GX7 I found the lack of audible feedback from the camera kinda disorienting. Have I actually pressed the shutter button properly? When did the exposure happen?  :)  Now that I'm used to it, though, I quite like it.

-Dave-

leuallen

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 09:49:27 pm »

I was taking pictures of a performer at a bar with the GX7 and I had inadvertently turned on the silent shutter. I started and did not hear anything to confirm I had taken a picture but yet one appeared on the instant review. "What the..." Tried again, the same. Then it dawned on me what was happening. It was weird. I could not tell when I had taken the picture until I saw the instant review. So I left it as is and shot the whole night in the 'surprise me mode'. Thinking about it I realized that in 35 years of shooting people, I was never really aware of when I pressed the shutter. It was a deep seated instinctual thing. I must say that I usually captured the good expression.

Larry

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 04:16:08 pm »

Not happening here, so presumably it's not a bug in the firmware patch.  Maybe a patch installer problem?  I'd talk to Fujifilm customer support.

Accidentally worked it out, when you use face detect focus it switches to red-eye reduction. Smart move but a pity you can't turn red-eye off manually...
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 05:26:06 pm »

Did you notice any increased focus speed after the update? Or it's just the 10-24 which is fast, as it really feels faster that I recall the X-T1 with other lenses was.

Chris Kern

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 09:11:33 pm »

Did you notice any increased focus speed after the update? Or it's just the 10-24 which is fast, as it really feels faster that I recall the X-T1 with other lenses was.

The firmware release notes included this cryptic sentence: "In Instant AF mode, which is operated by pressing the AF-L button during manual focusing, the update will enable Phase Detection AF, providing faster focusing speeds."

I'm not sure what "faster" means in the context of manual focusing.  (PDAF is faster than manual focusing?  Uhhh, OK.)

Personally, I'm not aware of any difference in autofocus speed since the firmware update.  On the other hand, I've been very favorably impressed with how quickly and accurately the X-T1 autofocuses all along.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 08:50:20 am »

The firmware release notes included this cryptic sentence: "In Instant AF mode, which is operated by pressing the AF-L button during manual focusing, the update will enable Phase Detection AF, providing faster focusing speeds."

When the camera is in MF mode, pressing the AFL button initiates autofocus*. Before the update, this used Contrast Detect only. The update changes that so it uses Phase Detect, making the focus a little faster.

*except when using lenses with a manual push-pull clutch in the manual mode, in which AF is totally disabled. Which means that the whole AF system works differently depending on which lens one has mounted. Gah, one more little quirk to make me crazy. Still, I just ordered a second X-T1 body, giving me six Fuji cameras total. So I guess it doesn't bother me that much.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

armand

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 08:44:33 pm »

Quick question: I'm using the X-T1 with the last firmware and I've noticed that when I turn the focus ring in manual focus mode I don't get the enlarged image anymore (it was doing it in focus peak,  3x or 10x as I left it last time), I have to click he focus assist button which is suboptimal. Do you guys know how to change this?
Thanks

armand

• Photos
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 02:57:54 pm »

Anybody? I still haven't this figured it out.

Robert55

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 06:11:23 am »

SCREEN SETUP>FOCUS CHECK> ON ?

And a happy New Year, hope you did not need this for last night :)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 08:54:07 am »

Thanks, I missed that part. Or better said I didn't think it can be there as it's not on the first screen.

I just used auto focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up