Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Layer Mask for local color adjustments  (Read 2193 times)

billy

Layer Mask for local color adjustments
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:46:51 am »

I thought you could change color balance while using the layer mask for local adjustments in C1 V8? I can't get it to work, when I make a mask and then go to the color balance tab tools it only adjusts the background layer. Am i mistaken that this was possible? I read online that it was possible in V8.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Layer Mask for local color adjustments
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:24:48 am »

I thought you could change color balance while using the layer mask for local adjustments in C1 V8? I can't get it to work, when I make a mask and then go to the color balance tab tools it only adjusts the background layer. Am i mistaken that this was possible? I read online that it was possible in V8.

Hi,

The regular tools tabs adjust the entire image. For local adjustments on the Adjustment tab, you need to create an adjustment layer, and paint in a mask where the local correction should be applied. The tools that allow to apply local adjustments have a small brush-tip after the tool's panel name.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:31:25 am »

And remember that the layer masks can not overlap or a gradient layer can't come in contact with a layer where you made a WB adjustment.  If you do, the newer layer (the one on top) will not work right and show a strange effect of hue.  This also true with the local color adjustments in a layer, they can't over lap. 

In LR you can do this with various adjustment brushes, but the LR individual color adjustment process is not as straight forward to me as in C1, and I do wish C1 would come along with a way to allow it also. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

billy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:18:56 pm »

Hi,

The regular tools tabs adjust the entire image. For local adjustments on the Adjustment tab, you need to create an adjustment layer, and paint in a mask where the local correction should be applied. The tools that allow to apply local adjustments have a small brush-tip after the tool's panel name.

Cheers,
Bart

ok thanks i knew that but once i make my mask, how do I adjust color temperature in that layer?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 06:41:33 pm »

Once you make the mask, or layer with any of the tools, the WB tool should be the first option to adjust.  It looks just like the main WB adjustment sliders. 

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

billy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:18:41 pm »

Once you make the mask, or layer with any of the tools, the WB tool should be the first option to adjust.  It looks just like the main WB adjustment sliders. 

Maybe I have a bug, I just do not see that option on the menu, see attached.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:53:55 pm »

Maybe I have a bug, I just do not see that option on the menu, see attached.

Right click in the local adjustments tab./add tool/white balance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up