Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help choosing my next roll of canvas  (Read 1238 times)

huguito

Need help choosing my next roll of canvas
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:45:20 pm »

I don't print much, only for myself, my prints are not for sale, so if I get the wrong kind of media it sits unused

I have used Lyve before, lovely, today was at $196 for a 36' roll on the color breathing website.

Their Chromata is priced almost the same.

I coat after printing, would I see a great difference if the same image with the same coating is printed in Lyve and Chromata?  Gamut? Sharpness? Texture?

Furthermore;

How different will be the same print, coated the same, on Simply elegant or Simply elegant everyday matte canvas?
Are they brighter?    Texture more pronounced?     Same print could be sharper or less sharp?      More or less color gamut?

I consider those two only because I see that the price is substantially lower.

Sorry to ask so much but like I said my printing is a very once in a while thing and to profile and pint to try on all those will take two lifetimes.

I bet somebody here has tried all of them and can guide me in the right path

One more thing. My canvas don't get stretched, I mount on Gatorboard with Miracle muck, so how good they stretch is not important.

Thanks very much in advance for your opinions.

Hugo

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Need help choosing my next roll of canvas
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:08:41 pm »

My first thought is that if you don't print much, and if you like Lyve (as I do), why change? How much extra can it cost?

huguito

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:33:07 pm »

Well Peter. With Chromata it wouldn't be a saving, they cost the same, but I would try it if it does have more in the sharpness or gamut dept.

The other two canvas I mentioned cost about half than Lyve and lots of people seem to like them

I just wanted an opinion from someone that has used more than one of the canvas I mentioned

davidh202

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:52:54 pm »

Paper and canvas finishes are really a subjective matter that can vary from one persons viewpoint to another. I would suggest getting samples and trying them for yourself to determine your own personal likes and dislikes ;-)

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:31 pm »

I've tried Lyve, Crystaline, Lexjet's brands, and finally the Sunset by Fredrix Matte Canvas.  36" roll is $126.00.  With tax and shipping, it's $152.64.  Arrives in 2 days.  Love the quality and the prints come out great.  I find it, personally, to have the best amount of texture without popping out at you like other canvas.  I love it because it's smooth and very flexible (I stretch).  I ran out of my Fredrix and needed to produce some prints asap.  Pulled out the BC Crystaline roll I ordered a while back.  It's like stretching and folding cardboard.  I find it extremely hard to use.  I have the satin and I find it a little too glossy for my liking.  THese are just my 2 cents.  Hope it helps. 

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:19 am »

+1 for Simply Elegant matte canvas

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 09:14:09 am »

Does the Simply Elegany have any weave or texture to show it's canvas?  Or is it flat almost like paper?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:58 am »

Check out Lexjet Sunset Select Matte. I go through roll after roll of this. Good value and media. I typically buy 5+ rolls at a time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up