Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5100 problem  (Read 2886 times)

petljos

Canon 5100 problem
« on: December 14, 2014, 05:28:07 pm »

Hello,

I am having a very strange problem with my Canon 5100.
I'm printing on a canvas an there are some strange repeated vertical lines printed all over the surface.
The space between the lines is about 7mm.
Please refer to the attached file to see what I am talking about.
Can any of you tell me what is going on here and/or give some advise about how to fix this.

Thank you.

Regards,
Petur

madisonjar

Re: Canon 5100 problem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 09:42:53 am »

I would like to bump this and hope someone can help as I have a ipf6100 and I am seeing the same thing....I am using epson exhibition canvas and only on this paper do I see these lines...when I am using any type of photo or art paper I am not seeing any lines at all, PLEASE someone help, thanks!!

Landscapes

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:48:51 am »

If you guys have no problem with the nozzle check, and these lines are in the same direction as the printhead, I'm guessing it might be some sort of feed adjustment that is necessary.  Since this is also just on canvas, this makes me suspect this even more.  Each time I print on canvas, the paper feed isn't as precise.  I've never had to do this myself, but I understand there is a way to have the printer run a feed adjustment on each paper type.  It seems like these little lines are just gaps inbetween the scans of the prinhead as its going back and forth and perhaps adjusting this to  feed ever so slightly less would fill in the line.  This is just a guess though.

madisonjar

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 09:55:45 am »

If you guys have no problem with the nozzle check, and these lines are in the same direction as the printhead, I'm guessing it might be some sort of feed adjustment that is necessary.  Since this is also just on canvas, this makes me suspect this even more.  Each time I print on canvas, the paper feed isn't as precise.  I've never had to do this myself, but I understand there is a way to have the printer run a feed adjustment on each paper type.  It seems like these little lines are just gaps inbetween the scans of the prinhead as its going back and forth and perhaps adjusting this to  feed ever so slightly less would fill in the line.  This is just a guess though.

I will check that out, it is at least for me (not trying to hijack, it just seems so similiar in issues!) going the way of the print head, we are VERY new to this and I took a picture to show what is happening, thank you for your time and if you dont mind looking at my pic and seeing if you feel the same way, thanks again and Merry Christmas

edit:picture posted upside down, dont know why.

Some Guy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:19:31 am »

No mention of the OS, but DxO Optics has been having an issue with Windows 8 XPS drivers with Epson.  I think Canon also uses the XPS driver set in Windows.

Some of it is mentioned here:  http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,9795.msg55389.html#msg55389

SG

madisonjar

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:28:16 am »

No mention of the OS, but DxO Optics has been having an issue with Windows 8 XPS drivers with Epson.  I think Canon also uses the XPS driver set in Windows.

Some of it is mentioned here:  http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,9795.msg55389.html#msg55389

SG

I am using Mac osx Yosemite and printing from aperture. Thank you for suggestion!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:31:04 am by madisonjar »

jferrari

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 10:38:27 pm »

As Landscapes alluded, to the nozzle check is very important when having issues such as this. What does your nozzle check look like? This should be the first thing to check when you are having printing problems.   - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

madisonjar

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:58:12 am »

The nozzle checked completed and didnt say anything (or are you talking about a different nozzle check where it actually prints something? I am sorry we are VERY new to this).  Also would it mess up just on canvas?  I printed regular photo paper and the pictures came out great.  by the way I did put the suction speed to slow and it is doing the same thing, I will take it down one more to slowest and see if that helps

Landscapes

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 09:04:50 pm »

Yes, the nozzle check would be a printed sheet that shows you a grid.  If there are any spaces in this grid pattern missing ink, it means that this nozzle isn't firing ink and this can certainly lead to banding.  So print it out, although it does sound like you have something different going on since it only happens on the canvas if I'm reading your post correctly.  The suctions strength sure is an interesting factor.

dannybirchwood

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 01:29:43 pm »

Hi

Does the Canon 5100 clog then ? Doesn't the head just remap ?

Looks like a feed error, have you set the driver to canvas ? What canvas are you trying to print on ?

Cheers

Danny
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

madisonjar

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 12:54:33 pm »

Hi

Does the Canon 5100 clog then ? Doesn't the head just remap ?

Looks like a feed error, have you set the driver to canvas ? What canvas are you trying to print on ?

Cheers

Danny

Okay Nozzle check looked good, I didnt see anything out of the normal, nice solid lines, no break ups....also The printer is set to canvas type paper, and the canvas is the epson canvas found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Exhibition-Canvas-Matte-17-roll/dp/B004MSXJOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419875612&sr=8-1&keywords=epson+canvas+17...WE got some free with the printer and are using it up.....I have set the suction speed to the slowest and it is still doing the lines...I am really getting frustrated as I am wasting ink and its not cheap lol.  Thanks everyone for your help so far anymore thoughts? suggestions?

madisonjar

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 03:05:26 pm »

any other thoughts?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 03:15:44 pm »

I saw this on my printer(HP) only in the lead of the paper as it was curled and thick, I'm guessing it was harder for the printer to have a flat surface. Maybe there is something similar happening with yours. TRy to have the canvas more flat if the front is curled. It maybe less likely for canvas as it flattens ok, but maybe worth a try.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

jferrari

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »

any other thoughts?

I remember reading somewhere that when using Epson canvas, to set the paper feed adjustment to +70. It's worth a try.     - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

madisonjar

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:01:10 am »

I did a test print last night as I had an idea and I think it worked..I think for at least one photo.....I have been printing out of aperture and that does not give me full canon driver control...when printing from preview it worked and there were no lines, so something in the aperture printing is the problem I believe...will do more tests this weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up