Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas for cloudy/winter shots  (Read 81273 times)

rpsphoto

Re: Ideas for cloudy/winter shots
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 11:36:49 am »

Move to Seattle. When the clouds roll in and really stack up they create endless possibilities. Personally, I love the delicate tonalities provided by a winter sky. We have a beautiful city surrounded by mountains and water.

These conditions allow different ways to "see" and experience the ordinary.

Best regards,

Bob
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

James Clark

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:21 pm »

That is why I mentioned Michael Kenna: if you look at his winter landscapes, they are all rather simple, a tree, a slope, a hedge, with a lot of negative space around... nothing spectacular or exotic.

Kenna is my photographic hero.  Best sense of composition and use of negative space I've seen.  While I'm still working on what to include in my shots, he has mastered the far more complex issue of what NOT to include while somehow still managing to create poignant, impactful images.

Herbc

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 10:38:36 am »

Another way is shoot infrared, although with film it is a chore.  If you can get your hands on a digital converted to IR, that would be good for handheld.

Telecaster

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:54 pm »

Being merely a dabbler when it comes to non-urban landscapes I do much of my winter pic-taking indoors. This is the time of year when I play with arranged subject matter, artificial lighting & otherwise rarely used lenses. I also like giving previously unexplored camera features a workout. Last winter it was intervalometer/timelapse capability, which I then used extensively during a late-winter visit to Grand Canyon Nat. Park.

-Dave-

SZRitter

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 02:47:21 pm »

Another way is shoot infrared, although with film it is a chore.  If you can get your hands on a digital converted to IR, that would be good for handheld.

I actually found my non-converted E-M5 to do pretty good if you don't mind upping the ISO a bit.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up