Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Ideas for cloudy/winter shots

(1/5) > >>

Noonie:
I'm sure you've all faced this before.  You have a job, and in the winter months, when the sun rises and sets so that you can't take photos during the week (much), you find there is far less daylight than in summer.  Problem I've had lately is that it's overcast most weekends...at least when I want to take photos.

I usually hike once a weekend and bring my camera.  I hike in forests where the trees are empty of leaves, and things are generally brown.  Throw in a grey sky and you get the idea.  Otherwise, I bring my camera in the car and look for photo opportunities as they arise.

I'm looking for inspiration on what subjects/scenes make for interesting photography on the overcast days of winter.  Note - I don't live around mountains or lakes or historic cities.  There are plenty of rivers, barns, gentle rolling hills, and then suburban sprawl.

PhotoEcosse:
One benefit of winter is that we are not plagued by the bright sunshine and hopelessly high light angles that make shooting in summer so unrewarding. Dramatic (bad) weather can really give us some tremendous photographic opportunities.

If you look at most photos by "masters" such as Ansell Adams, the actual scenery that he shot was singularly flat and uninspiring and it was the weather and lighting that made the shots.

On days when the light in the countryside is genuinely just "too flat" for photos, go into the towns and cities. Really flat light can be exactly what you need for effective street photography. Or, if your inclination is towards nature photography, once again flat light can be a blessing in disguise.

jferrari:

--- Quote from: Isaac on December 14, 2014, 03:07:43 pm ---Flat and uninspiring is probably not how most people would describe Yosemite Valley or …

If we must look to Ansel Adams for inspiration -- Leaves, Glacier Bay, Alaska

--- End quote ---

Just too bad that ol' Ansel was color blind. That image would look soooo much nicer in color!!  ;D

Noonie:
Shortly after asking the question, I looked out my window and noticed some cardinals and bluejays.  I was able to capture them resting on a tree and then a fence.  That was a nice treat.  And their bright and colourful feathers popped against the dull background.

It actually drizzled all day long so I didn't venture out.  Thought I did come up with one idea - I'll bring my camera to work most days and will take it out on lunch to some parks/sites close to work.

PhotoEcosse:

--- Quote from: Isaac on December 14, 2014, 03:07:43 pm ---Flat and uninspiring is probably not how most people would describe Yosemite Valley or …

--- End quote ---

Oddly enough, Isaac, Yosemite was exactly the location that I had in mind when I made that comment. In reality, it is one of the drabbest places on Earth if you really look at it. Monotonous grey rock formations - Yuk! But add some dramatic skies and lighting and it is transformed into something well worth photographing. Which is why I keep going back there again and again and again. Although the rocks don't change, the weather most certainly does.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version