Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full frame backup  (Read 3179 times)

armand

• Photos
Full frame backup
« on: December 13, 2014, 06:43:22 pm »

I have a D750 and will likely go to photography mainly travel with it. I realize I will need a backup as I don't like to go against the odds when my main purpose is photography.

I have several options, and I would like your opinion about the last 2 (I also mention the first 5 so you don't have too):

1) Get my a Fuji with few lenses
- adv: good enough, can go light when needed
- disadv: different batteries, new lenses, overall heavier

2) Get a the D90 with wider lens
- adv: same mount, can use the other lenses, nice for longer reach (by just a little though)
- disadv: DX, overall heavy as I need a wider zoom also

3) Get a D610
- adv: same format, similar quality, cheaper
- disadv: I would rather get another D750 or D810

4) Get a D750
- adv: identical backup
- disadv: I would rather get a D810

5) Get a D810
- adv: would likely become main camera, somehow better file quality
- a little bigger, more expensive

6) Get an A7ii or A7r with adapter, +/- a walk around zoom
- adv: a touch lighter, can expand to a different format if it works well, can use non-native lenses, cheaper, could go lighter if I get a native zoom (would be heavier overall though)
- disadv: lose autofocus, different layout

dwswager

Re: Full frame backup
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 07:28:02 pm »

I have a D750 and will likely go to photography mainly travel with it. I realize I will need a backup as I don't like to go against the odds when my main purpose is photography.

I have several options, and I would like your opinion about the last 2 (I also mention the first 5 so you don't have too):

1) Get my a Fuji with few lenses
- adv: good enough, can go light when needed
- disadv: different batteries, new lenses, overall heavier

2) Get a the D90 with wider lens
- adv: same mount, can use the other lenses, nice for longer reach (by just a little though)
- disadv: DX, overall heavy as I need a wider zoom also

3) Get a D610
- adv: same format, similar quality, cheaper
- disadv: I would rather get another D750 or D810

4) Get a D750
- adv: identical backup
- disadv: I would rather get a D810

5) Get a D810
- adv: would likely become main camera, somehow better file quality
- a little bigger, more expensive

6) Get an A7ii or A7r with adapter, +/- a walk around zoom
- adv: a touch lighter, can expand to a different format if it works well, can use non-native lenses, cheaper, could go lighter if I get a native zoom (would be heavier overall though)
- disadv: lose autofocus, different layout

Since you indicate you are predisposed to get another Nikon, then I would either go with the D810 as the main and the D750 as the backup.  But I would also advise you consider the D7100 DX sensor camera.  It makes a lighter, smaller package if that is important and with the same lenses it is giving you more reach all in the same operating mode (Enthusiast line) as the D750.  However, the D810  can shoot in 1.5X crop mode at 15.6MP.

I don't think you would be happy with the D90 and not sure the D610 makes any sense as I would just get another D750 instead.

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:08 am »

D750 or D810 (or used D800, tons of them around and super cheap (compared to what they used to be)) - no new lens expense or weight penalty.

stever

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 04:21:11 pm »

for several years I've been using a Canon ff (5d,2,3) and crop frame 40d, 7d for a wide variety of travel situations including wildlife, landscape, architecture, street ... with the 24-105 and 70-200 f4 most used and others from 17-40 to 100-400 (and sometimes big glass rented for wildlife) depending on the trip. With the 24-105 on ff and 70-200 on crop I can cover 24-320 mm eff and add a 1.4 extender if necessary.

In many situations it's not practical or possible to switch lenses and two cameras are needed - ff and crop cameras with similar controls, menus, and interchangeable batteries make life a lot easier.  If I were shooting Nikon I'd have an 810 and 7000.

On the other hand, if you're walking long distances or prefer/need to be less obvious full size dslrs and lenses are less desirable.  This year I got 2 Pany GX7 bodies and 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100 lenses and used them on a 3 week trip to central asia.  Resolution is as good or slightly better than my 7d and high iso noise slightly worse (compensated with wider aperture lenses).  I'm satisfied with the real IQ, and the small size, light weight, and silent shutter got me images that would have been missed with a dslr.

My next trip will include both architecture and wildlife and I'm probably going to take the 5d3, 17-40,and 100-400 and thinking about using the gx7 and 12-35 and 35-100 to fill in the middle but am not excited about switching back and forth between systems.

Sony mirrorless may be an alternative in a couple years but I don't see it as an all-round alternative to Nikon or Canon yet.

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:46:07 pm »

I've always been pleased with a second or third identical body as backup(s).  Not having to learn new menu setups.

Especially since your D750 is still state of the art, I wouldn't hesitate to get another such body.  If it were six years old, it would be a different story.  Cameras seem to age so quickly today.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:48 am »

Thank you for the advice. I'm still on the fence.

Thing is for lighter travel the Fuji kit is almost complete (I have the X-T1 as main and the X-E1 as equal image quality backup). Some weather sealing and fast moving objects autofocus are the main things still missing.
So I'm looking for those cases when maximum file quality is desired and I can afford carrying heavier stuff and most important to have the time to use it at maximum potential (not that easy with family around). A similar backup makes the most sense for sure (D610 or D750) but with the new camera introductions I think I'll wait for a little.

A D7100 would make some sense but I decided long time ago I'm not taking it (mostly for unreasonable reasons) and now that it's getting close to its replacement within half a year I don't feel compelled to do it. I hate buying a new camera just before a significantly better model is introduced (unless the new model doesn't really adds much). I already have the D90 and the truth is that it's mostly good enough for almost anything. Heck, I have photos on my walls shot with the D50. Problem is that I need to bring a wide zoom for both; the ones that I have now is the Sigma 8-16 (heavy, doesn't focus that close, quite wide and difficult to use) or the 16-85 (24 mm is wide enough for me in most cases).

One of the reasons I'm looking at that Sony A7ii is that I can expand in that format if it works out well down the road and have a full frame quality in a lighter package. Right now there are only 2 native lenses that look good: the 16-35 F4 and the 55 F1.8. The 16-35 seems to be as good or better than the Nikon while the 55 seems better than the 50 F1.8G Nikon (don't know about the 58 F1.4 but that one is 50% more expensive).
I can use the A7 with a 16-35 for the wide shots and take the 55 when I going light.
Neutral things: focus. Probably is good enough, will wait for more reports.
Disadvantages: battery life (I have 5 or 6 batteries for the Fuji) and some concerns about high ISO quality versus a 24 MP Nikon.

So for now I think I'll just get the Fuji with a couple of primes and maybe the small zoom for backup and for when I leave the D750 at the hotel.

Truth be told, if I didn't have the Fuji I would have gone m43 for travel, but the E-M5 was not there (E-M1 is now), and would have saved some time to decide which system to take with me as now I have to think hard as the differences between them are not that big.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:36 am »

I switched from FF Canon to A7r after using Nex for a while.  I would have no hesitation in recommending the A7r as backup (or A7II if you want IBIS).  Just be aware that your Nikon E lenses will not have aperture control if you use any (the 24 PC-E for example), only G type or older manual aperture style.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:38 am »

Are you a professional, for whom loss of use of the camera equates to loss of income?  Or will you be travelling beyond reach of civlisation?  Because an alternative strategy is simply to buy another camera if the need arises.  I appreciate you may not have the opportunity to take a day out to go to the nearest city (or have the flexibility to get a next-day delivery), but it saves you the initial outlay, and saves you an awful lot of additional weight to carry. In many developed countries that might be an alternative worth considering. 

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:17:01 am »

I lose no income, but I will lose money spent on the vacation. And time is precious. Even in US there aren't that many stores that carry full frame Nikons, not within few hours of driving.
I think that finally some Best Buy have D610 on the shelves but not all of them. And real camera stores are a dying breed.

Until now my usual backup was an advanced compact, such as Sony RX100.

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:20:00 pm »

I lose no income, but I will lose money spent on the vacation. And time is precious. Even in US there aren't that many stores that carry full frame Nikons, not within few hours of driving.
I think that finally some Best Buy have D610 on the shelves but not all of them. And real camera stores are a dying breed.

Until now my usual backup was an advanced compact, such as Sony RX100.

Order online.  Have delivered...next day if necessary.

Geods

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 02:49:58 pm »

Use the Rx100 as a backup while waiting for the next Nikon super resolution camera, probably with Sony's rumored 46MP chip - I'm guessing by the fall . In the meantime, you could always overnight a replacement to a hotel if needed, as I've had to...Overnight works very well and Nikon bodies are typically bullet proof. So, if something happened, you'd still have a capable backup but less weight to carry.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 04:22:45 pm »

Either the D810 or D750 are the best choices. The control layout is different and there is no tilting monitor on the D810, and it takes CF as well as SD media. if these thigns matter, get a second D750. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up