Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macro-macro Zeiss question  (Read 2114 times)

Micro Photog

Macro-macro Zeiss question
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »

Hi,  I'm new to the forum though I've read reviews for awhile.  I shoot mainly macro/micro photography.  Right now my favorite lens is an old Nikkor 50mm 2.8 (about 30 years old) on a D800e that has served me very well. I also use focus rings and bellows as required so automation (autofocus etc) is not needed or desired. As I look for additional challenges I'm finding the lens is not quite up to the task.  I was in a local camera store today asking advice on a new lens and they recommended a Zeiss 85mm 1.4 Planer.  Since all of my shots are in studio on a tripod weight is not an issue.  My requirement is edge to edge pixel sharp images in fairly low light conditions.  There is a lot of information about this lens for "normal" photography but nothing I could find regarding macro.  Will this lens take me to the next level?  If not, any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Macro-macro Zeiss question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 01:59:24 pm »

Hi,  I'm new to the forum though I've read reviews for awhile.  I shoot mainly macro/micro photography.  Right now my favorite lens is an old Nikkor 50mm 2.8 (about 30 years old) on a D800e that has served me very well. I also use focus rings and bellows as required so automation (autofocus etc) is not needed or desired. As I look for additional challenges I'm finding the lens is not quite up to the task.  I was in a local camera store today asking advice on a new lens and they recommended a Zeiss 85mm 1.4 Planer.  Since all of my shots are in studio on a tripod weight is not an issue.  My requirement is edge to edge pixel sharp images in fairly low light conditions.  There is a lot of information about this lens for "normal" photography but nothing I could find regarding macro.  Will this lens take me to the next level?  If not, any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

The current Nikon 105/2.8 is a good lens, and goes to 1:1 with no ring required. If price is no object, I can recommend the Coastal Optical 60mm f/4. However, since you're already using bellows, why not check out some enlarging lenses? You should be able to get some used ones really cheap these days. They mostly have Leica screw threads, so you'll need an adapter. If you're in the 4:1 and up range, the 50mm APO EL-Nikkors are good lenses. At 2:1 or so, the Schneider 135mm APO lens is good. Other lenses to look for are Printing-Nikkor, Ultra Micro Nikkor, Zeiss S-Orthoplanar, Zeiss S-Biogon, Zeiss Luminar, and APO Lanthar.

If your local camera store has a used dep't, see if you can borrow a few enlarging lenses and try them out.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:57:07 pm by Jim Kasson »

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »

As I look for additional challenges I'm finding the lens is not quite up to the task. 

In what way is the current lens not up to the task?  You mention that you need edge to edge pixel sharpness.  Is that where the old Nikkor is failing?  Do you need more working distance?  ???

I agree that if you plan to continue using bellows, enlarger lenses are a great option.

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »

If you are around 1:1, the Olympus 80mm f4 macro and Rodenstock apo-Rodagon D 75mm f4 are both optimized for that magnification ratio.  They are bellows lenses.  The Rodenstock apo-Rodagon D 75mm f4.5, also a bellows lens is optimized for 2:1 (1/2 life sized, maybe that should be 1:2). Both would need adapters for use on a Nikon mount bellows.

Micro Photog

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 05:32:03 pm »

Everyone sorry for the late reply....I was offline for awhile.

Jim - I will look into the 105 Nikkor and Schneider 135mm, unfortunately the Coastal is aspirational at this point.  If sales of my work take off....well that's another story.  The enlarger lenses are intriguing.  You mention most use the Leica mount, does than mean I can buy one adapter and try several out or do I have to buy an adapter per lens? 

dwswager - I am reaching the limits of magnification with my Nikkor 55mm 2.8. Additionally, I've been told the lens will not resolve to the level of my sensor (D800e) even though I am very pleased with the images it produces.  So, I'm looking for a the next step up. The priorities are additional working distance which, for me, translates to greater magnification potential with no loss of quality (sharpness). Of course I will always take more quality when available and affordable. I was hoping the Zeiss 85mm was the silver bullet so to speak but after talking with several people I've pretty much decided its not.

AFairley -  I believe I have 1 - 4x mag covered with my existing lens.  I am really looking at four and above. For my next lens(es)

Thanks to everyone for your time and advice.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »

The enlarger lenses are intriguing.  You mention most use the Leica mount, does than mean I can buy one adapter and try several out or do I have to buy an adapter per lens? 

One adapter should do it. Most enlarger lenses use the Leica M39 mount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M39_lens_mount

Jim

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 06:17:59 pm »

The Zeiss 85/1.4 is a very nice portrait lens with a special look wide open.  It is not a macro lens!  Though I never attempted to use mine for macro work (with bellows or extension tubes), I can't image it to fulfill critical expectations.

I'd strongly suggest one of the two dedicated Zeiss macro lenses - 50/2 if you enjoy that focal length or the 100/2 macro.  Both will be able to satisfy the Nikon D800e (high) lens requirements.  But there are Nikon micro lenses which should also be fine, as well as some from Sigma, Tamron, etc.

Most true macro lenses are of quite high quality and you should concentrate your selection depending upon features such as tripod collar, closest magnification (2:1 or 1:1), filter thread, etc.

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:21:20 am »

The Nikkor micro 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S is a miraculous optic and it is inexpensive. I've been astonished with the tests I've done with the camera set nine feet away from newspaper pages spread out. The Nikkor is practically comparable to the Zeiss equivalent, and it is certainly more versatile. I use the Nikkor on a D800 with excellent results. Look at DXO charts and then remember CA is easily corrected in ACR and other current RAW processors. It is mighty sharp at f/6.8. The Nikkor 105 macro is also an excellent performer.

I've conducted numerous tests with high-end apo enlarger lenses. The contrast and sharpness of the 60mm Nikkor always wins out. Your greatest investment and payoff will be putting more time into your craft/art and less time fretting over Nikon vs. Zeiss. Believe me, as the old fashion saying goes, "It's not the T-square, rather it's the square behind the T-square." Think about the rule of diminishing returns. If you are queasy about the Nikkor, rent one from Lensrentals.com for a nominal fee and see for yourself.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:49:10 pm by BobDavid »

stever

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:59:37 pm »

with full frame I prefer 100mm for extra subject distance and flexibility of lighting as well as internal focusing and 1:1 magnification.

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »

180mm (Canon, Sigma) or 200mm (Nikon) 1:1  macros are great in the field, especially for insects, but may be too long for tabletop studios. I love that f/3.5 bokeh, though - not everything macro has to be stacked up the wazoo. Nikon 200 f/4 macro has been discontinued, probably there's a new one coming - try fleabay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up