Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Error on Epson 3800... Only on large paper.  (Read 1887 times)

DavidPalermo

Paper Error on Epson 3800... Only on large paper.
« on: December 12, 2014, 05:41:52 pm »

I usually can print pretty well with this printer and just made a few prints using the 13x19 paper.  I am trying to use 17x22 and it just will not load.  I get a "paper error".  So I tried widening the platen gap.  I turned the printer off and back on again.  I tried a new sheet of paper. 

I don't know what else to do.  Why is it working on 13x19 and not on 17x22???  I am using the same paper on both sizes.

Thanks!

David :'(

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Paper Error on Epson 3800... Only on large paper.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 05:53:34 pm »

What paper?  How thick is it? Is the printer having trouble feeding it?

Error usually  means it isn’t detecting the front edge, paper is getting skewed, or it’s not the correct width.

DavidPalermo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:00:44 pm »

I am using Museo Silver Rag 300gsm and Epson Exhibition Fiber 325gsm.  This new box of Museo I noticed has one edge that is slightly curled so that might be the trouble.  I was able to make one print after pushing a bit harder (out of frustration!)  into the rear feeder.  So I now know that it will work if I am aggressive with it!

pflower

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 05:50:51 am »

This may be completely irrelevant since you don't say what kind of error you are getting or how you are trying to feed the paper.

If, as you suggest in the last post, you are using the rear slot then this requires both practice and patience.  When I first got a 3800 (essentially the same printer) it took me at least 7 or 8 goes to get a sheet to feed through the rear slot.  I consistently got paper skew errors.  The printer checks to see if the paper is perfectly straight and if not will reject it.  You can in fact by-pass this by turning off the "check paper size" option in the menu on the lcd and it will load paper however badly skewed.  However the trick, not really a trick, is to take enormous care when feeding.  What works for me is to make sure that the left hand edge of the paper (right hand side as you look at it if loading it whilst standing in front of the printer) is absolutely flush with the edge of the fixed paper guide.  Then feed the paper in by exerting equal pressure on both sides of the paper.  It helps to open the front top panel so that you watch how the paper is taken into the printer.  If you exert unequal pressure on the paper when feeding then it doesn't go in perfectly straight and you will get a paper skew error.

The only way is to keep on doing it until you get it right.  Now I virtually never (famous last words) get an error loading A2 paper from the rear feed but it was a source of enormous frustration when I first tried it and I was convinced that there was something wrong with the printer.

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 07:45:18 am »

+1 on the above technique. It takes very little 'skew' to trip an error, so line up the left edge, light equal pressure on both sides. You'll get a feel for it after awhile.  A curl will be an issue and are all too frequent (among other paper manufacturer sins). Sometimes storing the paper curl side down for a time helps. 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 08:43:06 am »

David,

I sent you PM in response to the note you sent but I'll amplify here.  I have a 3880 and for Museo Silver Rag, the thickness setting should be 4mm.  17 inch wide paper is more cumbersome than 13x19 to feed for me.  I always stand behind the printer to feed it as I find that can more easily keep the paper straight than if I am reaching across it from the front.  I cut 17 inch sheets from a roll of paper that Museo sent me for doing some QA work on the new paper source a year ago (great to get free paper) and I've reliably cut square edged sheets using my Rotatrim (17x25 sheets).  I find if I feed it as described with firm pressure on both sides that it gets taken up and I don't have any issues with feed errors.

Alan

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:50:48 am »

What pflower said.  Two hands, light pressure until the printer grabs the paper.  Almost never have misdeeds.  If you are, may be a roller problem.

DavidPalermo

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 06:35:00 pm »

Thanks guys!  Yes, tender loving care is exactly what it needed.  Still, it took about 20 tries.  ; )

David

pluton

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 12:54:43 am »

What application are you printing from?

DavidPalermo

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 02:21:19 pm »

pluton:  I print from Lightroom.

hugowolf

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »

I would also check the squareness of the sheets, even if they are only slightly off square it will cause you near endless problems. Sheets come off square more often then you would imagine.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up