Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review: Michael Frye's "Landscapes in Lightroom 5: A Step-by-Step Guide" eBook  (Read 9580 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com

This test does not meet the point and what was claimed.
So what's the point of using settings that make correctly exposed images look poor ? What claims are being made for this curious 'default' ?

stamper

"Correctly exposing" means if you "get it right" in camera and the capture doesn't clip black and white points then it gives you leeway to further process the image. In a modern digital camera there is probably enough scope to over expose and under expose from a mid grey point by 2 stops. I see where Frye is coming from in his settings but not as radical as he stated.

PhotoEcosse

Despite my aversion to e-books, all this discussion persuaded my to spend £8 on this one.

Fascinating.

I had not realised that the "image adaptive" properties of Lightroom were as extensive as they are. However, I do find that Frye's recommendations for "correction" are excessive - certainly with my .NEF files from D800, D800E and D810.

Maybe it is a function of the type of photography I do, or the cameras I use, but the explanations of the "image-adaptive" processes really only serve to explain why Adobe, in the current LR iteration, seem to have got it pretty well right. But it is nice to know how they did it.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

lmwacctg

Thanks for the review and discussion. My wife has bought me a copy as a Christmas present. I'm looking forward to opening it!

Don
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up