Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simplicity  (Read 18519 times)

michael

Simplicity
« on: December 12, 2014, 08:24:54 am »

This topic is for discussion of the image and commentary found in Michael's Phlog titled Simplicity.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Simplicity
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:04:12 am »

Love the image very much. Great job.Simplicity indeed! I did quite a bit on the subject last winter and enjoyed the weather as well.
Only quibble, is a 10cm snow a storm?  Your in Canada after all. I would think that's a dusting. LOL

Peter

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:59 am »

Love the image very much. Great job.Simplicity indeed! I did quite a bit on the subject last winter and enjoyed the weather as well.
Only quibble, is a 10cm snow a storm?  Your in Canada after all. I would think that's a dusting. LOL

Peter
Very nice image.

But maybe "storm" is Canadian for "flurry."   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

michael

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:56:23 am »

Well, maybe not a "storm", but remember – I've spent the past four winters in Mexico and have almost forgotten what snow looks like.

M

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:15:11 pm »

First impression: The image is reminiscent of classic Asian brush and ink paintings.

Analysis: The stem anchors the form to the bottom of the frame, and that I think diminishes the photo by forcing a ground/figure relationship. Untethered, the plant becomes less plantlike. As a floating form, it becomes more enigmatic and provocative. Nix the stem.

Regarding post processing, I'd set the background value to a minimum of 245, 245, 245. That tweak may require a bit of finesse, as the branches hold exquisitely nuanced detail. Final nit: expand the picture plane so the disembodied form has more room to float.

I am wont to be painfully critical.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:44:51 pm by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:21:30 pm »

After having lived in the upper Midwest and New England for 44 years, I moved (with wife, daughter, and dog) to Florida in 2003. Sarasota is lovely this time of year. Unlike most of the snowbirds, I love the intensity of the heat and humidity during summertime.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:46:49 pm by BobDavid »

ajz

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:10:43 pm »

Michael,

Very simple, elegant statement. If you were to print this image as a B&W image would you choose to print it as: 1)  as a strong graphic of the image just the b&w contrast, or 2) a b&w image but allow some of the deep tones in the branch to show through just  slightly to be seen when the image is viewed close?. This is often my confusion as to how to best interpret an image such as you have shot.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:28:25 am by ajz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up