Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink Jet Papers  (Read 5008 times)

offtheroad

Ink Jet Papers
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:18:04 am »

Just starting out. Epson R3000 shooting with Canon 5D MKII
I need help with so many paper choices. I shoot mainly scenics. Live in New Mexico where Dry is really Dry so I hope my printer holdes up without jets getting clogged up. My first papers are a 8.5 x 11 sample pack Signature Worthy and a 50 sheet pack of Epson Premium Presentation Matt 11.7x16.5
Cost is an issue.

mbaginy

Re: Ink Jet Papers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »

Well, offtheroad, if cost is an issue and you want to print yourself, then I'd suggest the following (and these are just some basics I've learned over the years).

- Try to stick with only a handful of papers.  I currently use MOAB papers and have come to understand how different images will print on the various papers (matt, cluster, metallic, rag).  While my dealer keeps giving me various other pares to try out (and these are often just as good), I'll stick to my four or so papers.

- Use color management!  Even if cost is no concern, use color management - it will keep the frustration level low.

- Michael & Jeff offer excellent tutorial at this site, from which you can learn almost everything you'll need to know about printing (and shooting).

- Be critical.  If you're displeased with a print (and the image is okay on the screen), analyse the reasons but only present the final (perfect) print.  If you need to make excuses for something, then either the image isn't good or the print isn't as good as it could have been.

But be honest with yourself - printing offers wonderful possibilities but is connected with cost!  Mainly for inks.  The larger the cartridges, the more cost effective your prints will be (more or less).

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »

Start with one paper and learn how to print with it. I started with the Epson premium matte paper, and printed a lot of photos until I figured out how the printer worked. It's much easier to diagnose problems if you're not constantly changing papers.

Then I moved to luster paper (Epson Ultra Premium Luster) and print most of my photos on that now. It's not too expensive, looks nice, and frames well. It doesn't feel as nice in the hand as some of the super premium fine art papers, but that doesn't matter as much to me as it does to other photographers.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:47 am »

When I started out printing I got sample packs from all the major paper makers. Try matt, semi-gloss and gloss papers and print some images on them to see what paper you like the look of. Then once you have chosen one stick with it, get a custom profile made of it as well!
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:35:00 pm »

Can't help you with your clogging issues - I'm in the damp northeast and print with a dye printer - but, I'd suggest that you take a look at what Red River has to offer for papers. http://www.redrivercatalog.com/ Their papers are all very good and competitively priced. They have ICCs for most of the popular printers and they work well unless you start loading with 3rd party inks, in which case, all bets are off. Customer support is good, too.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up