Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with Amateur Print Shop Setup  (Read 1138 times)

B Confused

Need help with Amateur Print Shop Setup
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »

Hello everyone,
I am hoping to set up amateur print shop for my wife’s artwork, card and amateur photography at home business. I am hoping to fit everything under $2,000 but I can go slightly over if need be. I hope to incorporate good 15” to 18” cutter, scanner and of course printer.

My wife paints and writes small children’s books generally consisting up to 10-15 pages usually done on linen cardstock paper 12”X12” which is then cut further. She makes cards, bookmarks; to accompany those books. She also dabbles into amateur photography including landscapes, nature, and architecture; really anything that makes desirable cards. Last but not least she does artwork prints mostly on canvas and watercolor paper.

Our printing needs consist of:
5x7 photo cards
5x7 art cards (watercolor & acrylic art)
Children books printed on at least 12x12 linen cardstock paper
Watercolor & Acrylic prints done on heavy art paper up to Super A3 (13x19)
Photos printed on canvas or photo paper up to Super A3 (13X19)

Problem that I am having is deciding which printer to pick and the more I read the more options I have to choose from.

This was my first choice was Epson Artisan 1430 printer with Epson Perfection V600 scanner and CARL rotary trimmer all together costing about $750 but then so many other things came up that I really need some help deciding.

My dilemma now is:
Epson Artisan 1430 Vs. Cannon PIXMA Pro-100

With regards to scanner; is Epson Perfection V600 worth investing or should I just stick to photographing her artwork for further reproduction?

My next question is Rotary Trimmer like CARL or Guillotine style cutter like Fellowes Plasma cutters or CARL again.

My last questions is at what point would you upgrade from entry level Epson Artisan 1430, Cannon PIXMA Pro-100 so something as big as Epson Stylus Pro 4880 which is about $2,000 just for the printer alone.

I apologize for the long post.

Thank you in advance.
B.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Need help with Amateur Print Shop Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:05:21 pm »

Epson 48/49** series of printers are limited to 8x10 sheets in the feeder only.  For larger greeting cards (which I do) this is fine. But you'll get a lot more flexibility with regard to card printing sizes with an Epson 3880.  Considering cost of inks, that is the minimum where I'd start. Not sure about Canon's offerings.

B Confused

Re: Need help with Amateur Print Shop Setup
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:51:13 pm »

Thank you very much kdphotography. I am looking into purchasing Epson 3880. I already decided to go with Dahle premium 20.5 inch paper cutter. I will also skip buying the scanner and invest in decent tripod to just photograph her artwork for reproduction.

Is anyone able to tell me what else should I get equipement vise to run successful at home print shop.

Thank you,
B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up