Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: profit colour space  (Read 10492 times)

Bradverts

profit colour space
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:20:14 am »

Very interesting article on prophoto colour space, thank you. So, have I got this right? >>>If I am using raw images and importing them into ACR from my canon eos7d, it doesn't matter which colour space the camera is set to? (as this will only affect jpg files... the options i have are srgb or adobe rgb)?
Brad ???

deejjjaaaa

Re: profit colour space
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »

So, have I got this right? >>>If I am using raw images and importing them into ACR from my canon eos7d, it doesn't matter which colour space the camera is set to? (as this will only affect jpg files... the options i have are srgb or adobe rgb)?
Brad ???

for ACR/LR purposes related to raw conversion it does not matter whether your raw file has a thumbnail embedded as OOC JPG with sRGB or AdobeRGB profile... however __some__ OOC JPG related settings on __some__ cameras might affect some things like, for example, exposure set by camera's metering... albeit that does not affect raw data directly, it certainly might affect the resulting raw data indirectly (which is obvious in case with exposure)... hence always test your camera, do not take anything for granted.

Bradverts

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:44:07 am »

Thanks for the advice!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:55:13 am »

Raw is just that, raw and has no defined color space (some could suggest it’s just grayscale data). Here’s about the closest view of what raw data looks like I can easily share:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/raw.jpg

When you capture a JPEG, the raw is converted in the camera to the color space you set but this has no bearing on the raw data itself. If you ask for raw, what you set for color space (anything but exposure and ISO) isn’t affected.

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:31:34 pm »

Raw is just that, raw and has no defined color space (some could suggest it’s just grayscale data). Here’s about the closest view of what raw data looks like I can easily share:

When you capture a JPEG, the raw is converted in the camera to the color space you set but this has no bearing on the raw data itself. If you ask for raw, what you set for color space (anything but exposure and ISO) isn’t affected.

Here is a PNG image of a flower in sRGB. It consists of three monochrome images in different channels as shown at the top of the frame. Each channel encodes a color and the formula to display the image is shown at the bottom of the frame.

The image also exists as a raw file. It has only one layer, but the colors are coded in a mosaic format in only one layer. The image can be de-mosaiced via ACR and the encoding of the color information is shown in the 3x3 matrix. The white point is encoded as metadata. What do you think about the similarities?

Regards,

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up