Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900, just one printhead completely blocked. tried a lot, is it dead?  (Read 2923 times)

rob101

The yellow is completely blocked, its pair LLK (light light black) is perfect so i don't think it could be the capping station. The printer is about 3 years old.

I tried:
cleans
powerful cleans
using isoponol on the head using a lint free cloth
using a niglass covered paper towel to soak up the ink, which soaked up a lot of all the other inks but not yellow.
using a pipette to put nilglass into the capping station and leaving the head on it overnight.

So far, not a single yellow dot has left the printer in days.

I'm looking at either a call-out to have a technician look at it for €250 or getting another printer.

Anyone any ideas to possibly save me money on a call out or a printer?

rob

Jeff Grant

Inkjet mall sells piezoflush which is meant to clear a blocked nozzle. It's worth a look. I think that Marrutt also sells uncloggers.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

There are numerous threads on this website discussing the various factors that could cause the problem. What you've done so far would only address surface material if that were the cause, but it may not be, and from the sound of it, most likely isn't. It sounds more like a pressure drop. Did you run prints between cleaning cycles? If not, you could have aggravated the situation. Were it me, I would call a qualified technician, but have you discussed the problem with Epson's ProGraphics support? This is as far as I know still free for phone advice even out of warranty and they can be very helpful.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

tsjanik

rob101

Thanks for the replies,

I called a tech support line and described everything i went through and he is very sure it is the head is dead. €1300 to replace the head. €2200 to buy a new one.  :o

We have some solvent printers here that need to have each ink fired to clear the heads before we start a print run (large blocks of CMYK). I tried this method numerous times and not one single yellow ink particle has gone through the yellow head since the original blockage.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Thanks for the replies,

I called a tech support line and described everything i went through and he is very sure it is the head is dead. €1300 to replace the head. €2200 to buy a new one.  :o

We have some solvent printers here that need to have each ink fired to clear the heads before we start a print run (large blocks of CMYK). I tried this method numerous times and not one single yellow ink particle has gone through the yellow head since the original blockage.

That's not good news, but I'm not sure I would accept it at face value. Is it feasible for you to have a technician actually see that printer and run diagnostics on it, because it would be unfortunate to spend all that money on a new printhead if the real source of the problem were upstream of the printhead.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rob101

I would invest in a new printer + it's free ink + warranty before spending money upgrading an old printer.

What is the lifespan of a modern printer?
We had an epson 9600 that worked for 15 years, (sometimes not printing for months at a time)
a 4800 worked tirelessly for 6 or 7 years
this 4900 lasted 3 years.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

There really are a multitude of issues/factors, either singular or a combination, that may be involved in a blocked or clogged head/nozzle----which makes it exceedingly difficult or impossible to state that a blockage must be from factor "x" without knowing the particulars/condition of a specific printer. Typical Epson tech approach is to start replacing parts (educated guess) and continue doing so until the problem is resolved. (e.g., head, wiper, dampers, capping station....). If the printer is under warranty, then no problem. But if you have to foot the bill, then sometimes it may be worthwhile to dig around a bit first.

I think it would be worthwhile to try Tom's suggestion (INIT FILL) before throwing in the towel.

ken

rob101

hmmm, i guess it is an option/last resort. i'll try that this evening, although i have about one third left in my yellow cartridge and no spare.

davidh202

There really are a multitude of issues/factors, either singular or a combination, that may be involved in a blocked or clogged head/nozzle----which makes it exceedingly difficult or impossible to state that a blockage must be from factor "x" without knowing the particulars/condition of a specific printer. Typical Epson tech approach is to start replacing parts (educated guess) and continue doing so until the problem is resolved. (e.g., head, wiper, dampers, capping station....). If the printer is under warranty, then no problem. But if you have to foot the bill, then sometimes it may be worthwhile to dig around a bit first.

I think it would be worthwhile to try Tom's suggestion (INIT FILL) before throwing in the towel.

ken
absolutely!!

rob101

Re: Epson 4900, just one printhead completely blocked. tried a lot, is it dead?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:18:43 am »

do i have to buy third party software from 2manuals or QRT to do this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up