Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D750  (Read 4762 times)

armand

• Photos
D750
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »

While overall I'm still adjusting to the full frame Nikon after using almost exclusively the Fuji for the last year, yesterday it was the first time when I was really impressed with the D750.

Went outside with the kids after 8 pm (long into the dark for Michigan) and the only light sources were some lights from inside the house (very weak, inconsistent) and the occasional flashlight the kids were using from time to time. I did activate the AF light on the 750 (I usually deactivate it for most situations). Also I was using the 5 years or so old sb-600 flash.

All in all I couldn't believe the focus. It was common the hear the kids, point the camera in that direction, couldn't see a thing in the viewfinder but I was pressing the shutter anyway and when I was reviewing the pictures they were in focus! I will repeat I could not see them in the viewfinder (the night vision was minimally affected by the lights in the house). Yes, I could distinguish them without the camera to my eye but it was dark.
I was using the 24-120 @ F4, exposure time around 1/160 and the autoISO was going around 3200, AF-S with group area, usually the center as I couldn't really see where to place the focus.

I am impressed!

PS. Now I have to be negative and say that for better light situations the focus could be more accurate, at least compared the Fuji X-T1. But part of it probably can be improved with me learning more how it works.

deejjjaaaa

Re: D750
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:19 pm »

I was using the 24-120 @ F4, exposure time around 1/160 and the autoISO was going around 3200

f4 1/160 and ISO3200 ??? that's not dark... I am sitting in a room, indoors, with enough ligth so that AF assist is not working (on Sony A7) and M mode with Auto ISO @ f4, 1/160 goes to ISO6400... are you sure about parameters ?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:57 pm »

That's with the SB-600 shooting in TTL.
I'm not at my computer now, I can post something tomorrow.
Remember, I could not see in the viewfinder where I'm focusing. In my book that's quite dark.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:32:42 am »

If you achieved focus with the AF-light .. i find it hardly special.
With the AF-light you can focus anything in pitch dark... it would be special without.
I understand the AF of this camera is very sensitive and works till -3 eV
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:10:57 am »

The AF Assist is what is working for you.  As long as you weren't too far away from the target, that will let the camera focus.  Which, of course, is the whole point of the AF Assist system.

I recently received a D810 (early Christmas) and have not thoroughly exercised it yet.  Check the focus of the camera/lens combo.  Don't need to go all fancy, use the simple DotTune method for checking focus.  Basically you tripod the camera and point it at a focus target.  You need to set the camera so AF is not engaged when you press the shutter half way, only that it turns the meters on. Using live view, focus the target precisely.  Then using the AF-Tune function, work your way from -20 to +20 and record the end points where you get consistent focus lock.  Recommendation is to set the AF-Tune value for that lens to the midpoint between the two end values where the camera gave you consistent focus.  Depending on the lenses and age, you will be surprised how varied the results are from lens to lens.  I have an older AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D that barely hits focus in the tune range and AF Tune for that lens on my D7100 is set to -19 while I have others set to 0.

DotTune: Autofocus fine tuning in under 5 minutes

While overall I'm still adjusting to the full frame Nikon after using almost exclusively the Fuji for the last year, yesterday it was the first time when I was really impressed with the D750.

Went outside with the kids after 8 pm (long into the dark for Michigan) and the only light sources were some lights from inside the house (very weak, inconsistent) and the occasional flashlight the kids were using from time to time. I did activate the AF light on the 750 (I usually deactivate it for most situations). Also I was using the 5 years or so old sb-600 flash.

All in all I couldn't believe the focus. It was common the hear the kids, point the camera in that direction, couldn't see a thing in the viewfinder but I was pressing the shutter anyway and when I was reviewing the pictures they were in focus! I will repeat I could not see them in the viewfinder (the night vision was minimally affected by the lights in the house). Yes, I could distinguish them without the camera to my eye but it was dark.
I was using the 24-120 @ F4, exposure time around 1/160 and the autoISO was going around 3200, AF-S with group area, usually the center as I couldn't really see where to place the focus.

I am impressed!

PS. Now I have to be negative and say that for better light situations the focus could be more accurate, at least compared the Fuji X-T1. But part of it probably can be improved with me learning more how it works.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:33:21 pm »

First shot is F4, 1/13, ISO 12800 to give you an idea how dark could be at times. The other 2 were some where I used the flash. In a few the kids were also moving.

Again, maybe my expectations were set too low as I didn't touch a high end DSLR but I still find it remarkable, even with AF assist light (the subjects were between 5 to 20 meters away).

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:35:11 pm »

The AF Assist is what is working for you.  As long as you weren't too far away from the target, that will let the camera focus.  Which, of course, is the whole point of the AF Assist system.

I recently received a D810 (early Christmas) and have not thoroughly exercised it yet.  Check the focus of the camera/lens combo.  Don't need to go all fancy, use the simple DotTune method for checking focus.  Basically you tripod the camera and point it at a focus target.  You need to set the camera so AF is not engaged when you press the shutter half way, only that it turns the meters on. Using live view, focus the target precisely.  Then using the AF-Tune function, work your way from -20 to +20 and record the end points where you get consistent focus lock.  Recommendation is to set the AF-Tune value for that lens to the midpoint between the two end values where the camera gave you consistent focus.  Depending on the lenses and age, you will be surprised how varied the results are from lens to lens.  I have an older AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D that barely hits focus in the tune range and AF Tune for that lens on my D7100 is set to -19 while I have others set to 0.

DotTune: Autofocus fine tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks, I had in plan to test some as sharpness/ focus was less that expected but I was procrastinating as I know it can take a lot of time.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 12:26:57 am »

My D800 focuses with an 8 stop ND in the front. The 750 will most definitely do better.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 01:55:34 pm »

I'm not a Nikon shooter, but I handled a friend's new D750 yesterday, with the 24-120/4. It seems like a terrific little package -- handles well, and not as heavy as I expected. He traded some D3 and D700 bodies and is very happy.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:56:17 pm »

I'm not a Nikon shooter, but I handled a friend's new D750 yesterday, with the 24-120/4. It seems like a terrific little package -- handles well, and not as heavy as I expected. He traded some D3 and D700 bodies and is very happy.

D750: 26.5 oz. (750g)
D810: 31.1 oz. (880g)
D7100: 23.8 oz. (675 g)

AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR: 24.0 oz. (680 g)
AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8: 31.7 oz. (900 g)
AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8: 54.3 oz. (1540 g)

Considering the MASS of these items, saying the D750 is a nice light package sound silly. 

Today, I shot a military funeral for the family with the D810 w/ 24-70mm f/2.8 and the D7100 w/ 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII.  Is the D7100 lighter than the D810.  Yup!  But once I put any of my 3 primary zoom lenses on it, it feels about the same only with a less comfortable grip.  Now if you're walking around hand holding it with a 9.5 oz. (270 g) AF 20mm f/2.8D, then yeah, you might feel the difference.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 08:04:38 am »

I just tested what is possible with a d900 flash and a 1.4 85mm on a d810..
At 1.4 with only the red light of the flash i was able to make a sharp picture up to about 10m in pitch dark...
(There is also a white AF assist light in the camera that i did not use )
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 10:58:04 am »

I just tested what is possible with a d900 flash and a 1.4 85mm on a d810..
At 1.4 with only the red light of the flash i was able to make a sharp picture up to about 10m in pitch dark...
(There is also a white AF assist light in the camera that i did not use )

That's quite good, I didn't realize the red light is an option (I guess I really need to read that manual) and I would much prefer it as it will not blind the subject that much.
That and the fact that in those shots the zoom was stuck at 14 mm because the diffuser was pulled up by a couple of mm.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:58:59 pm »

Considering the MASS of these items, saying the D750 is a nice light package sound silly. 

I said it was not as heavy as I expected, especially with the 24-120/4 mounted. My DSLRs are 1D Mark IV bodies with Canon f/2.8 lenses, so I expect big cameras to be heavy.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

dwswager

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 11:07:56 pm »

I said it was not as heavy as I expected, especially with the 24-120/4 mounted. My DSLRs are 1D Mark IV bodies with Canon f/2.8 lenses, so I expect big cameras to be heavy.

Apologize, if I offended.  I was just commenting since so many people had previously commented that one of the major considerations for choosing the D750 over the D810 was because of weight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up