Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pros & Cons - New Pentax 645Z or second hand Phase One P45+  (Read 29764 times)

voidshatter

Re: Pros & Cons - New Pentax 645Z or second hand Phase One P45+
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 06:45:43 pm »

I'm looking to move up to medium format digital for landscape.
For landscape I think dynamic range is important. For the similar price you pay for the 645Z + lenses I would recommend Hasselblad CFV-50C with a technical camera.

Have a look into my post here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/52844-backlight-landscape-photography-realized-say-no-silhouette.html

Ken R

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »

I would like to ad that a lot of people here and in other forums make conclusions about image quality based on images (or crops) displayed on the web. At least for me, the biggest difference with the high image quality of my IQ160 and Rodenstock lens combination is in the prints. I mean, I see improvements no matter the medium used to display the images but in large prints it is eye opening.

Also of note, working with my tech camera rig (Rodenstock/RM3Di/IQ160) is a MUCH slower process compared to working with a DSLR and that has limitations. If you have limited time at a location (Landscape / Architecture) and want to get the MOST out of that location (meaning the most compositions / images in a short amount of time) then a tech camera is most likely not the right tool. With my tech camera I usually scout a (landscape) location first and/or look for good shots before taking the camera out. I really think more about making the image before any gear comes out of the bag. That is something that can be done even with an iPhone obviously but with a tech camera it is almost mandatory. No spray and pray capability.  ;D I also somewhat increase my standards of what would be worthy when Im carrying my tech camera. So I end up with a LOT less images but generally more images worthy of prints (for sale).

On a smaller note, I know a LOT of you here do not use your camera gear on client supervised shoots involving tethered workflow shooting people and using flash lighting but in those situations the PhaseOne backs (or leaf, hasselblad and even the Leica S/S2) absolutely rule. Also, C1 Pro is a joy to work with in those situations, it really sets itself above and beyond all other software I have used.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 12:43:44 pm »

Hi,

I both agree and disagree. The problem with prints is that they cannot be shared over the internet. Actual pixel crops can be quite relevant, but they ignore the number of pixels. Also, JPEGs are always processed and processing plays a very major role on image quality.

That is the reason that I strive to publish raw images of all my test/demo images. Sometimes I fail, and some times it is less than practical.

Best regards
Erik

I would like to ad that a lot of people here and in other forums make conclusions about image quality based on images (or crops) displayed on the web. At least for me, the biggest difference with the high image quality of my IQ160 and Rodenstock lens combination is in the prints. I mean, I see improvements no matter the medium used to display the images but in large prints it is eye opening.

Also of note, working with my tech camera rig (Rodenstock/RM3Di/IQ160) is a MUCH slower process compared to working with a DSLR and that has limitations. If you have limited time at a location (Landscape / Architecture) and want to get the MOST out of that location (meaning the most compositions / images in a short amount of time) then a tech camera is most likely not the right tool. With my tech camera I usually scout a (landscape) location first and/or look for good shots before taking the camera out. I really think more about making the image before any gear comes out of the bag. That is something that can be done even with an iPhone obviously but with a tech camera it is almost mandatory. No spray and pray capability.  ;D I also somewhat increase my standards of what would be worthy when Im carrying my tech camera. So I end up with a LOT less images but generally more images worthy of prints (for sale).

On a smaller note, I know a LOT of you here do not use your camera gear on client supervised shoots involving tethered workflow shooting people and using flash lighting but in those situations the PhaseOne backs (or leaf, hasselblad and even the Leica S/S2) absolutely rule. Also, C1 Pro is a joy to work with in those situations, it really sets itself above and beyond all other software I have used.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:02:16 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 07:22:27 pm »

Hi,

I both agree and disagree. The problem with prints is that they cannot be shared over the internet.
Erik

How about we do that print exchange?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 12:44:08 am »

Hi,

I would say that sharing raws, especially when combined with processing data is better than posting a physical print. The receiver can print the image any way they want.

Sharing prints can be a great learning experience, I guess.

Best regards
Erik

How about we do that print exchange?

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

ondebanks

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2014, 07:35:23 am »

4. Other than having a leaf-shutter system (there is a 75 and 135) can someone clarify for me lenses the Pentax system is missing, exactly?? 

Nick, didn't I just do that on the first page of this thread?
Let me copy and paste again:

"The Pentax 645 range has no counterpart to the following Mamiya/Phase One 645 lenses:

* Fisheye
* Shift
* Tilt/Shift
* Soft focus
* Compact mirror long-tele
* AF leaf-shutter lenses (choice of 8 )
* Really fast standard (f1.9 vs f2.8 )
* Really fast APO teles (choice of 3: 200/2.8, 300/2.8, 500/4.5)
* 500mm teles (choice of 3! f/8 mirror, f/5.6, f/4.5) (the Pentax 150-300mm zoom set to 250mm + a 2x TC hits 500mm, but at f/11)
"

Of those, the three I'd single out as really important to me are:
* Fisheye

It's easy to fall into the logic trap of "I need no further lenses in this system, therefore nobody else would need any further lenses in this system".

I have everything from 35-300, and ALL IN, the lenses cost me less than one new Phase or Hassy lens .

And I have just about everything M645 from 24-300, and ALL IN, the lenses cost me less than one new Phase or Hassy lens.
Both Mamiya/Phase and Pentax have that great advantage of low cost older manual focus lenses.
The difference is just that with Mamiya, as I posted above, there is more choice.

Ray

ondebanks

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2014, 07:38:17 am »

Notably the Pentax 67 lenses can be used on the DF+ via simple adapter.

In fact: DF+ -> ANY Mamiya body with a 645 mount ever made, back to 1975.

Ray

ondebanks

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:24 am »

But remember something, great photography has very little to do with the camera, regardless of what a camera forum says.

True in many but not all cases.

This great photography had very little to do with the camera:

(Yes, it's one of yours!)

This great photography was completely dependent on the camera:

It required a clean ISO 51200 to simultaneously (a) keep the exposure short enough to freeze the motion of the stars, (b) allow the lens to be stopped down enough (f/8) to keep both foreground rocks and infinity stars in focus, (c) actually pick up faint stars and Milky Way details and colour despite the paltry amount of light admitted by an f/8 lens in only 8 seconds! Nobody had made such a photo before, because the camera didn't exist which could do it before.

It's easy to fall into the logic trap of "I can make great photos of my type of subjects with pretty much any camera, therefore great photography has very little to do with the camera".

Ray

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 10:30:09 am »

True in many but not all cases.

This great photography had very little to do with the camera:

(Yes, it's one of yours!)

It required a clean ISO 51200 to simultaneously (a) keep the exposure short enough to freeze the motion of the stars, (b) allow the lens to be stopped down enough (f/8) to keep both foreground rocks and infinity stars in focus, (c) actually pick up faint stars and Milky Way details and colour despite the paltry amount of light admitted by an f/8 lens in only 8 seconds! Nobody had made such a photo before, because the camera didn't exist which could do it before.

It's easy to fall into the logic trap of "I can make great photos of my type of subjects with pretty much any camera, therefore great photography has very little to do with the camera".

Ray

There are star photographers and star photographers - those who need a long lens and fast camera, and those for whom the stars will stand still at arms length :)
I like both pictures.

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:44:55 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 12:12:18 pm »

For sure, Pentax will develop more lenses upon time. If they develop a tilt/shift adapter like the HTS 1.5 but at a "Pentax price" ... I bet many will really jump into this system.

The problem of the lenses will become a real problem if they continue to increase Pixels density >> they will be forced to develop a whole new line of HD lenses and they will be expensive.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:16:10 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »

"The Pentax 645 range has no counterpart to the following Mamiya/Phase One 645 lenses:

* Fisheye

Pentax 67 35mm Fisheye

* Shift

Pentax 67 75mm Shift
Hartblei 45mm Super-rotator

* Tilt/Shift

Hartblei 45mm super-rotator

* Soft focus

huh? seriously? It's called Photoshop

Mirror? Seriously? How's the weather over in 1985?

Yup - this is the gap, but the 75mm and 135mm LS are razor sharp.

Pentax 67 - 105mm f2.5 (best bokeh of the bunch)

Since ISO is irrelevant, I expect a 300 f4 and 400 f5.6 should suffice, or the 67 400mm f4, which is outstanding as well

* 500mm teles (choice of 3! f/8 mirror, f/5.6, f/4.5) (the Pentax 150-300mm zoom set to 250mm + a 2x TC hits 500mm, but at f/11)

Pentax 67 500mm f4.5 *AND* 600mm f5.6

* Fisheye

What exactly are you shooting??

It's easy to fall into the logic trap of "I need no further lenses in this system, therefore nobody else would need any further lenses in this system".

And I have just about everything M645 from 24-300, and ALL IN, the lenses cost me less than one new Phase or Hassy lens.
Both Mamiya/Phase and Pentax have that great advantage of low cost older manual focus lenses.
The difference is just that with Mamiya, as I posted above, there is more choice.

The main difference is actually that the older Mamiya 645 lenses are most crap.  Looked good for weddings on film.  Just not in the game for high-res digital.  The older pentax lenses are.

Ray

Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2014, 02:54:17 pm »

Hi,

Cheap lenses is one of the reasons I bought into Hasselbald V. But I would say that old MF lenses play best with live view for manual focus.

Buying a cropped sensor back limits your options in wide angles, so I would suggest looking into lenses and deciding on sensor later.

Personally, my original plan was to buy an Hasselblad 555/ELD for my P45+ first and later upgrade to a Hartblei HCam with Canon T&S lenses. But, meanwhile I decided to buy a 40/4 Distagon and a Flexbody for my tilt and shift needs.

What I have found is that the Distagon 40/4 is pretty OK for my needs, the Flexbody less so.

Best regards
Erik

Nick, didn't I just do that on the first page of this thread?
Let me copy and paste again:

* Fisheye
* Shift
* Tilt/Shift
* Soft focus
"

* Fisheye

Ray

Erik Kaffehr

Joe Towner

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:12 pm »

Unless the OP comes back and says something, can we close this thread? 

Otherwise, it's a rehash of previously stated opinions, options and distractions.
t: @PNWMF

Omni Images

• Omni Images
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »

Hello, yes I am still here and reading, it started slow, then has really taken off.
Not sure what to say here to contribute.
I have constraints that I am working through to get the most bang for my buck, as the "buck" is my biggest constraint, and the other constraint is the sort of work I want this new "system" to perform.
My main aim in all this is to be able to print LARGE. .. no interest in sharing pics on facebook, I will, but my main reason is for printing large and detailed images upwards of 70" in size that will blow your socks off in image quality in a large print.
I am doing largish images now in two ways.
I have a Linhof 617s .. wet scan on a V750 pro
or I shoot pano's with my Canon cameras and use a Manfrotto 303+ head and stitch upwards of 8-12 images together.
Recently I am taking a number of shots that could only be taken as a single shot, yet still want to enlarge these images.
I will still stitch the medium format shots, but mostly want it for these "single shot" enlargements.
Case in point ... I have a Sky Watcher head .. so shots like the star/landscape shot posted by "ondebanks" and agree with ... need the camera for the special shot .... I too have images in mind but can't shoot them yet due to not having the camera/equipment to shoot them.
I'm working on shots using a water housing with dome port to shoot sunset/sunrise 1/2 1/2 underwater with flash ... so yeah, I want a phase one housing, Aqua Tech have made one, but it's listed as out of stock at B&H ...
I have the opportunity to shoot our back country mt ranges by helicopter, best I had was using my Canon 5DII .. would love a Phase one for that too. As we are moving, it is hard to shoot stitches, so single shots.
I also have a number of landscape shots that have moving items such as waves ... or where perhaps I might catch a bird swoop in close ? or what ever, but movement in some way.

So my thought's of wanting a tech camera for landscape are being crushed by the applications I want these "One shot wonder" images ... I also take my housing, Aqua Tech and Canon 1D4 out into the surf here, and of course restricted in the size I can print up to also there.

So I am thinking perhaps I need both ... so buying a "back" that I can use on a phase one type body, plus use it on a Tech body camera ... and both take excellent glass. So starting with a decent back and build from there seems the way forward for me.

Thank you all for your comments and insights.
I intend to go to the city soon and start looking around ... I live in a tiny country town and have to travel almost 4 hours to Sydney .. so renting is not an option really ... I have to just go up and spend a few days looking around... perhaps a number of times to get a feel for the different systems.
Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:21:48 pm by Omni Images »

ondebanks

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 07:42:58 am »

Nick,

All your suggested lens counterparts are adaptations from cameras other than the Pentax 645. I deliberately steered clear of lenses such as this, when I drew up my comparative list. I only included lenses made by Mamiya, with an M645 bayonet fitting, specifically for the M645/645AF line, and optimised for the camera's 6x4.5cm format (70mm image circle). I did exactly the same with the Pentax 645 lens line, in this case also allowing any lens made specifically for the "cropped" digital sensor. The point was to see which lenses Pentax and Mamiya/Phase produced, matching that standard definition of a lens system.

Now the inclusion of Pentax 67 lenses may seem justified on the basis of the full coupling adapter that the Pentax 645 has. One can equally use such lenses on a Mamiya, but the aperture won't be coupled (of course some of the longer P67 teles have no aperture coupling at all, even to the Pentax cameras - just a preset aperture). But that is to ignore the design parameters of those lenses - that they are optimised over a 90mm image circle, and that they deliver their desired effect on a 6x7cm output image.

So that 35mm lens you listed gives a 180-degree fisheye effect on 56 x 70 mm film. It's not much of a fisheye on a 44 x 33 mm 645D/645Z sensor: 111 degrees. The M645 24mm is not a full 180-degree fisheye on a 44 x 33 mm sensor either, but at 142 degrees it's 30% more "fishy" than the 37mm, and at 174 degrees on the 60MP and 80MP backs, it's only a few degrees short of its 180-degrees design.

And that 75mm shift lens you listed was designed for semi-wideangle architecture shots on 56 x 70 mm film. It's a short telephoto on a 44 x 33 mm 645D/645Z sensor. It's still a shift lens, but you'd have to be able to position your camera over 60% further away from the building to get the same amount of building into the field of view, and even if that is physically permitted by the surroundings of the building, it changes the whole perspective of the photo.

The 105/2.5 lens you listed is very nice, but it's not a standard lens on a 44 x 33 mm 645D/645Z sensor - it has the field of view of a classic portrait lens. Almost exactly the same as 180mm on 6x7.

There never was an official Pentax 67 500mm f4.5 lens. Pentax made a 500mm f4.5 lens for 35mm format cameras, and at one time in the 1970s offered an adapter to the P67 mount. It can't have been well corrected outside its designed-for-35mm image circle. Also, that lens is not an APO, not even ED.

Photoshop is very good, but if you think it can replicate the unique asymmetric ray-deviating properties of a real soft-focus lens with dialed-in spherical abberation, you are mistaken. Nothing but actual optics can do that.

As for your sneering about "How's the weather in 1985?"...that's just unnecessary. Can we not keep a factual discussion factual? Either the Pentax 645 system has a compact mirror lens, or it doesn't. Fact: it doesn't. It's irrelevant whether you like catadioptric lenses, or consider them relics of the past. I and many others happen to use them. The Mamiya's optics are a step above the 35mm-format mirrors that people may be familiar with...Jack Welch has reported on this in getdpi.

Finally, I cannot let this go without comment:
> The main difference is actually that the older Mamiya 645 lenses are most crap.  Looked good for weddings on film.  Just not in the game for high-res digital.  The older pentax lenses are.

Have you any evidence that "the older Mamiya 645 lenses are most crap"? You realise that you lose credibility when you throw out sweeping, unsubstantiated, derogatory statements like that? Any considered research on this shows that both Mamiya and Pentax older lenses are fine, and in many cases excellent, performers on high-res digital. Quite apart from these 44 x 33mm medium format sensors, there are vast numbers of sample images and reports online by those using them on high-res 36 x 24 mm full frame cameras. Some lenses are better than others, but nobody says they're crap.

Ray

dag.bb

• Flickr
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:39 am »

Well, you have the 120mm 67 soft focus, if you need it. I would also add that image stabilization at focal lengths of 28-45mm and 90mm (maybe up to 3 stop equiv.), and probably future lenses, is usually more important than a 1.9 lens for landscape. Of course if the camera is always on a tripod this doesn't matter (which is not my experience of landscape photography). Manual focusing will also be greatly aided by live view - a large benefit of the Pentax compared to the P45+. Furthermore clean high iso makes larger DOF possible for all lenses, not to mention sharpness, by using e.g. iso 400 + f4, vs. iso 100 and f1.9 (on one lens).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:36:12 am by dag.bb »

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2014, 04:39:09 pm »

For what it's worth, I've used just about all the MF systems out there at various times, and ended up landing on the 645Z since none of its disadvantages bothered me, like lack of good tethering or leaf shutter lenses.
What I do like, especially right after getting to use it alongside the 645D, is just how fast this camera is and how easy it is to get hand-held shots, only the Leica S came close before it in that regard. Its probably the easiest-to-use camera of the bunch by a long shot, ignoring image quality altogether.

Gel

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 06:45:44 pm »

Used 645D's are hella cheap right now and are decent to ISO1600.

Why not build a system around that and jump to the Z when need be?

Telecaster

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »

This demonstrates that such a photo can now be created with a single frame rather than via a composite. Pretty cool, IMO. But also IMO it's as easy (and wrong) to overstate the importance of new camera/sensor capabilities as to understate them. I think BC is right in so far as photography is creatively and technically constrained more by photographers' imaginations & skills than by their gear. This doesn't mean more capable gear isn't desirable or can't inspire new levels of creativity.

As for the Pentax 645D, I've used mine at EI 3200 with pretty darn good results given the "right" subject matter (not astrophotography or anything else requiring fine tonal detail in the shadows.)

-Dave-

Ken R

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 09:05:57 pm »

No doubt that some photography / techniques really push the limits of currently available gear. That is what is cool about being able to see work from such a wide range of photographers nowadays. A lot of them are really pushing the limits of technology. Some people push the technology other people the techniques (to get the result they want with what they have) and some do both. Ultimately it is about the vision of the photographer and the end result I guess, everything in between is much more fluid and personal since a lot of times one can achieve similar results in very different ways.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up