Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevin Raber's Olympus 40-150 Review  (Read 1532 times)

billferreira

Kevin Raber's Olympus 40-150 Review
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:13:31 pm »

While I found this review quite interesting, I'd like to see a short comparison with the 50-200 SWD. The 50-200 is a more useful range for me, especially in that it focuses much closer.

He did point out the focusing speed advantages. But if one is not a pixel peeper, will there actually be a visible difference in the image sharpness?

And so on...

I've sold all my Nikon gear and am getting ready to buy into the Oly system. My plans are to purchase the OM1 (with grip), 4/3rds adapter, 12-60 and 50-200 plus perhaps the 2X teleconverter.

Thanks,
Bill

mbaginy

Re: Kevin Raber's Olympus 40-150 Review
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 04:01:02 pm »

While I found this review quite interesting, I'd like to see a short comparison with the 50-200 SWD. The 50-200 is a more useful range for me, especially in that it focuses much closer.

He did point out the focusing speed advantages. But if one is not a pixel peeper, will there actually be a visible difference in the image sharpness?

I’d imagine sharpness differences would be seen in larger prints, if there are any differences.  And naturally when pixel peeping.  But sharpness is only one factor to take into account - there’s more to comparing lenses.

I like that lens shade and the clutch mechanism for manual focusing!  Well done, Olympus!  Now they need a feature allowing to rotate a polarising filter with the lens shade extended.  But maybe sliding it back for adjusting will do.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:17:31 pm »

In regards to the polarizer rotating.  The new Fuji Zoom has a removable little door on the lens shade.  The lens hood is plastic and nothing like the Olympus.  The engineering too.  I'll have more to report on the Fuji lens soon.  The Olympus lens slide in and out so easy it is no problem to adjust a filter.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:51:53 am »

Thanks Kevin, also for your interesting introduction of the Olympus lens.

I'm currently buying into the Fujifilm X series gear and will give myself until summer to evaluate, if it can replace my Canon full frame setup.  Macro side of Fujifilm is not yet as diverse as I'd like to see it.  But I'll never find the perfect camera or lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up