Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screw-in or slot-in ND filters  (Read 4278 times)

ALRICHARDS

Screw-in or slot-in ND filters
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:32:47 am »

I'm considering getting a 10 stop ND filter and was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages were of the screw-in circular filters or the square slot in ones? Is one recommended over the other? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Anna

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: Screw-in or slot-in ND filters
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:43:22 am »

Hi Anna,

Unless you opt for a variable ND filter (not sure if they reach 10 stops), you main problem for a screw-in filter will be that you compose your image, screw your filter to lens, take the picture, and then decide you prefer to try another composition, unscrew the filter, recompose, screw again... and so on... It is easier to put a filter in a slot than screw-in/out the filter...

Now, with the slot-in/square filters you have the problem that you need to make sure the filter and the filter holder does not leave any small hole between the filter and the holder, if there is any hole you can have light leak that will ruin your image (I have the Lee Bigstopper that has some foam in the filter corners to avoid this... other friends have a different one from other brand (I don't remember the name now) very large to use with the Nikkor 14-24 lens, that from time to time they get light leaks... ).

Then you can not use your lens hood with the slot-in filters...

Regards,

David

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:48:15 am »

I'm considering getting a 10 stop ND filter and was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages were of the screw-in circular filters or the square slot in ones? Is one recommended over the other? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Anna

I'm a round filter guy because most all my lenses I use in the field take the same 77mm filters.  I do use step rings to put them on 62mm lenses from time to time.

Unfortunately, no one can predict what you will like better.  The round filters are easier for me to handle, store and pack.  I use stack caps and have 4 filters in the stack that I toss in the camera bag (CPL and 3 ND filters).  If you have lenses of all the same size, then round makes sense.  There are others that swear by rectangular filters.  They tend to be way more deliberate/precise in their shooting style.  I like that I can pick up my tripod with the filters attached and not worry.  Not sure I would do that with rectangular filters in a holder, at least not the holders I've used in the past.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:18:45 am »

I like that I can pick up my tripod with the filters attached and not worry.  Not sure I would do that with rectangular filters in a holder, at least not the holders I've used in the past.

Agreed, I will move my tripod with the filters attached for a small recomposition, but if I want to move several meters from the point I'm at a moment, I will first take out my Lee Filter holder from the lens, put it in an small filter bag that I had attached to my belt, and move to the new position...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:43:37 am by davidgp »

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:19:36 pm »

I have used both, and often with my Fuji I can just leave the screw on filter on and still compose using the lcd or viewfinder. The screw in ones will have less chance of reflections, I find I can often get reflection on the filter surface unless I am careful with drop in filter. Drop in filters are lot more bulky to carry, but can give you more options like combining with a grad nd to filter the sky more...

Trade offs just depends on what will work best for you.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

Alan, even a 10 stop filter? Probably it is time to update my veteran 5d mark ii

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 03:58:45 pm »

Anna

I assume that since you are asking about a 10-stop ND filter you are not asking about a gradated filter that is clear on one end and transitions to neutral density about half-way across .  If that is the case then I'd skip slide-in filters and go for a screw mount version. Among other things you wont have to worry about light leaks between the filter and the lens. You will have to remove it to focus and compose however and then screw it into place.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 04:39:24 pm »

Alan, even a 10 stop filter? Probably it is time to update my veteran 5d mark ii

Yes even a 10 stop. For my Fuji cameras I have 10, 6, 3, 2, 1 stop ND filters and a circular polarizer all in 77mm and I can use them quickly and efficiently and even stack them for more ND. I did get the B+W brand they are very neutral. I did try a variable ND and it was a piece of junk. With the mirrorless cameras I think the larger drop in filters like LEE are nice but big and bulky, I can carry the screw on filters in a small pouch with step up rings for just about any lens i want to use. Also the Fuji will focus and frame with filters on, even the 10 stop unless it is really dark outside, but in daylight it works just fine. I have a LEE system but I am finding like my Canon gear I am using it a lot less, although for ND grads it is essential. Although I find with digital blending I use grad ND filters less. The one filter besides a ND filter that is not able to be duplicated in post is a polarizer. Oh well way more information than was needed......

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:26:32 am »

Thanks for the info Alan, I'm also preferring digital blending than graduated filters...

ALRICHARDS

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 02:25:51 pm »

Thank you for all the replies. It seems I will just have to decide which disadvantages might annoy me more! I am leaning more towards circular ones at the moment though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up