Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 with odd banding patterns over distance...  (Read 1108 times)

Belboz99

Epson 9900 with odd banding patterns over distance...
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:26:53 pm »

Hey all,

I posted a while back when I received this printer, about how it had some quirks and a somewhat unusual history.  But right now the problem I'm encountering has me a bit baffled.

The printer seems to print the 1st 1/4" or so properly, then the Light Cyan goes completely missing from the print for around 1/2", then once it returns the print shows a complete lack of shadows, like photo black is missing or such.

Nozzle checks also show a complete absence of Light Cyan nozzles in the middle-half of the test print, and if I print over that nozzle check print the photos are missing Light Cyan in the exact same region, 1/4" to 3/4" through the print.

Of course that's not the whole problem, the everything beyond 1/4" is also completely devoid of shadows, and exhibits horizontal banding, largely with density and not so much with color.

I've attached images to better understand what I'm talking about... The Cyan channel cleared on a later nozzle check after additional cleaning, but I didn't have that test print on-hand to scan.  Every other color has cleaned fine, but the LC has shown this consistently.  Note that the prints are missing the same color in the same region.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan O.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:56:17 pm by Belboz99 »

jferrari

Re: Epson 9900 with odd banding patterns over distance...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:02:02 pm »

Nozzle checks also show a complete absence of Light Cyan nozzles

You can't seriously expect a perfect print with no LC can you?
Nothing changes until something changes.

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 11:22:08 pm »

There  is an old saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"...
In your case you should have!
There is a very good reason (you gave the "quirks" in your previous posts), why the previous owner gave it away and it's going to continue to be a nightmare to get it working properly ...  and I'm afraid, expensive! Why torture yourself? 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:23:40 pm by davidh202 »

Belboz99

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:31:00 pm »

Please don't quote me out of context:

Nozzle checks also show a complete absence of Light Cyan nozzles in the middle-half of the test print, and if I print over that nozzle check print the photos are missing Light Cyan in the exact same region, 1/4" to 3/4" through the print.

Of course I don't expect perfect prints without a clean Light Cyan nozzle, who would?  But I am trying to determine the cause of this issue, which is why I'm making *test* prints.

Belboz99

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:36:17 pm »

According to the previous owner, he simply wanted it out of his studio...

He had tried selling it for $2,500 for around a year, but he didn't put much effort into selling it.

I have his previous printer, an Epson 7600, which works flawlessly.

The printer originally was owned by a wealthy individual who does photography as a hobby, and a new $6,000 printer is like a new memory card to him... he gets the latest model, and when he's done he typically gives it away.  Who am I to complain?

The printer this individual purchased directly after the one I now have is in the photo lab I manage... He gave it to my boss, it's an Epson 11800.

Does anyone have any actual advice?  Or does everyone think irrelevant comments are somehow beneficial to me resolving this problem?

Dan O.

jferrari

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:25:24 pm »

Does anyone have any actual advice?  Or does everyone think irrelevant comments are somehow beneficial to me resolving this problem?

Maybe they're not as irrelevant as you think. Best of luck to you.
Nothing changes until something changes.

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:57:16 pm »

According to the previous owner, he simply wanted it out of his studio...
According to you it has parts missing, has had 1 head replaced already and has been roughly handled (possibly abused )!

He had tried selling it for $2,500 for around a year, but he didn't put much effort into selling it.

I have his previous printer, an Epson 7600, which works flawlessly.

The printer originally was owned by a wealthy individual who does photography as a hobby, and a new $6,000 printer is like a new memory card to him... he gets the latest model, and when he's done he typically gives it away.  Who am I to complain?

The printer this individual purchased directly after the one I now have is in the photo lab I manage... He gave it to my boss, it's an Epson 11800.
Those other printers are not the one YOU now have!

Does anyone have any actual advice?  Or does everyone think irrelevant comments are somehow beneficial to me resolving this problem?

Dan O.
My best advice to a problem that is impossible to diagnose on a forum, is to spend a week or so reading the never ending 7900 thread by Eric G. and wind up right where he did at the end. OR- spend a lot of time and about $3,000 or more in new parts to rebuild it, with an uncertain outcome in the end.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=61585.0

as  jferrari said,  Best of luck to you !  I'm out of here...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:05:58 pm by davidh202 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up