Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell U2413 profiling software confusion...  (Read 4942 times)

Etrsi_645

Dell U2413 profiling software confusion...
« on: December 08, 2014, 09:03:07 am »

I have the I1Display profiling device with software... There appears to be two versions of the software both of which I do have installed.  I1profiler at version 1.5.6 and Dell Ultrasharp Calibration Solution at version 1.5.3.  I'm confused as to which to use to calibrate/profile this monitor. Other than the titling of the main screens; those main screens look mostly similar.  I have tried using both and they appear remarkably similar..

Also, I just updated to Dell version 1.5.3 and now both software appear to be in DEMO mode. 

I do have other questions about this software, but, first,  I like to delete the software I do not need to use.

thanks,
Pentax K-5 with lenses: DA* 16-50 f/2.8,

D Fosse

Re: Dell U2413 profiling software confusion...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:51:49 am »

I'd use the Dell software. The reason is that it communicates directly with the monitor and adjusts all parameters in the monitor's internal circuitry, in high bit-depth. This is what is known as hardware calibration, and it offers a much higher precision level.

i1 Profiler will attempt to talk to the display, but most likely fail because these protocols are not as standardized as one might wish. What it then does is fall back to doing all adjustments in the video card (without informing you). This is sub-optimal for a lot of reasons, especially with a standard 8-bit video pipeline. Banding and other artifacts are not uncommon.

With i1 Profiler the sensor has to be connected for the software to enter active service, otherwise it's in demo mode. The sensor serves as a dongle. Since x-rite made the Dell software it's probably the same there.

I know, it feels like a waste to spend money on the software when you just need the sensor. But the i1D3 is a superb sensor and worth the price alone. Plus, it's supported in virtually every calibration software under the sun, so it's extremely upgrade-proof.

BTW you can keep i1Profiler installed, just make sure to kill it from startup items so that it doesn't interfere (run > msconfig > startup).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:00:17 am by D Fosse »

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:07:17 am »

(...wait a second. If x-rite made the Dell software - and they did - they should have the key to communicate with the monitor. Or did Dell keep this information from x-rite?)

Anyway, using the Dell software should be the safe option. I don't have it, so I don't know how it compares to i1Profiler.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:31:40 pm »

I have the I1Display profiling device with software... There appears to be two versions of the software both of which I do have installed.  I1profiler at version 1.5.6 and Dell Ultrasharp Calibration Solution at version 1.5.3.  I'm confused as to which to use to calibrate/profile this monitor. Other than the titling of the main screens; those main screens look mostly similar.  I have tried using both and they appear remarkably similar..

Also, I just updated to Dell version 1.5.3 and now both software appear to be in DEMO mode. 

I do have other questions about this software, but, first,  I like to delete the software I do not need to use.

thanks,

I have a U2713H (basically same as U2413).  First of all, you should absolutely use the Dell software even though it is to all intents and purposes identical to the XRite software, with one exception, and that is that the Dell software hardware calibrates the monitor ... and that is very important.  Here's an article that might be worth reading: https://photographylife.com/how-to-properly-calibrate-dell-u2413-u2713h-u3014-monitors

I had a great deal of problems with both i1Profiler and the DCCS using an i1D3.  The software relies on conditioning files and these were just not right, so that the profiling was quite poor (calibrating to 6500K was giving actual readings of over 7500K, for example).  Using an i1Pro2 sorted out the issue as this does not require the conditioning files (specifically, the RG_Phosphor_Family_25Jul12.edr file, which you will find in the XRite/Devices/i1D3/Calibrations folder).  Hopefully XRite/Dell have corrected the problem ... and it is possible the the U2413 will be OK (if you look at the file you will see that the U2413 calibration has been included).

Here are some comments from a Dell engineer to my complaints:

"Hi Robert

Take a look at the response we got from  monitor team J

We are puzzled about the U2713H having color temp 7700k at standard preset mode, this is clearly not acceptable, but we need to investigate.  Can we capture this unit or get the serial number of this unit?

Pls see below my comments:

I hope you can help me out answering some questions related with Dell monitors and colour calibration.

Customer reports that the the white points and luminance on the standard presets are out with targets of mid-range settings 6500K. sRGB and Adobe RGB are most affected and unable to use uniformity compensation within CAL1 and CAL2 as this is not an option  As standard, regardless of monitors or size they should be within range of 6500k with an acceptable deviation of around 3% .

Thomas> we control white balance in factory and this should be very accurate.  I measured one MP unit in my lab and found white pt to be 64xxk when brightness going as low as 80nits.  So it is not normal for user to see large variation here.  One possibility is colorimeter used is not suitable for GB-LED used in this panel.  We use spectroradiometer(eg Minota CS2000A) or calibrated colorimeter (eg Minolta CA210, these need to be compensated for LED backlight) for accurate results.

The XRite i1 Display Pro (which is dell recommend) shows ...The XRite i1 Display Pro (which is dell recommend) shows luminance uniformity deviations of between 4% (11cd/m2 on reference of 277cd/m2) and 17% (47cd/m2 on reference of 277cd/m2). I have tested the display at different brightness levels and the percentage variations are consistent over the 9 squares that the i1 Pro measures. The factory report shows brightness uniformity of between 99% and 100%. Customer has stated that he wishes to use sRGB, CAL1 and CAL2 for other colour temperatures but even at standard preset with uniformity compensation to calibrated the deviations are too high. I would like to know why uniformity compensation is unavailable for CAL1 and CAL2 and if we intend to make this available in future firmware releases.  Without this feature user hardware calibration is not producing the correct percentage. this only leaves  the user Custom calibration option which is a software calibration i1PRO which still doesn’t produce the right percentages or deviations due to the hardware calibration in the first instance. Can IPS look into why the uniformity and temperature are way too high when set with Uniformity compensation set to off? and if possible have confirmation on calibration and quality control at a factory level.

Thomas> The factory reported uniformity data(on the report in-box) refers to one particular brightness level.  The brightness might be considered high for some customers.  At this time we do not allow the user to lower the brightness as it will impact the screen uniformity.  This is a deficiency we will address in future.   The good news is we will be releasing one new version of Dell Ultrasharp Color Calibation SW that include uniformity compensation soon.  With this new release user can choose their preferred color temp and brightness level plus screen uniformity at that brightness level.  We hope to get this release out by next month, and it will address customer’s need to have uniform screen brightness at lower brightness level.

any idea on the standard hardware calibrations done at factory level... one monitor he bought had 7700K standard settings, swapped out monitor through tech support and that one sat at 6900K .. should be around 6500K or even 6400K, 6600K either side ... theres going to be some deviations there because it would be impossible to calibrate exactly the same on all moniotrs coming out of factory.... but these are the standrad figures coming from the monitors on standard settigns with no UC or software CALIB. just basic Hardware CALIB

just seems there might be a failure or something at manufacturing level in calibration and quality control as 3 U2713H's are producing too high deviations between each other. would have thought there is a standrad hardware calibration control to follow

Thomas> as mentioned above, 7700K at Standard Preset is not acceptable.   I wish to capture this unit if possible.  On the other hand, if measurement is not done with correct equipment, there will be error.  The colorimeter used must be capable of handling GB-LED backlight."
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana
Pages: [1]   Go Up