Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie basics-Epson 9900 not loading 8.5x11 canvas sheets.  (Read 2677 times)

Jglaser757

Newbie basics-Epson 9900 not loading 8.5x11 canvas sheets.
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:01:06 am »

I haven't even had this thing two days and im clueless about what I am doing wrong. I know there is a large learning curve, but 

I have been trying to use the sample pack of canvas paper. And, Im having a bit of a problem loading the paper on my 9900. I have tried other types of 8.5x11 papers like metallic and satin with no issues.(exhibition luster, hannemule,etc) and had no problems loading these
types of small sheets.

I have not called Epson customer support as of yet.

The procedures I have tried:

I set the paper type to canvas before starting.
I have tried all five 8.5x11 paper types and one sheet of the 800 matte canvas worked, but the second sheet wouldn't load.
I have tried uncurling first because they all had an edge crease. I tried putting one of the sheets under a book for 8 hrs to straighten paper. That did not work either
I tried putting a reverse crease in the edge of one of the papers. That did not work.
I hit the paper release button and manually positioned the paper vertically. That did not work!
I tried changing the platen gap.
I tried inserting manually and then closing the paper release button, that did not work.
I have tried hitting the paper release button, then inserting the paper, waiting for the printer to be detected and hit the pause button. That did not work!

Thanks

Jon Glaser

jferrari

Re: Newbie basics-Epson 9900 not loading 8.5x11 canvas sheets.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:08 am »

Sorry, I can't even write a reply to this...
Nothing changes until something changes.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »

I have a 9800 and I regularly print 8.5 x 11 sheets and occasionally 8.5 x 11 test strips of canvas.  Very useful before committing to a 40X60 print.  :)

It's tricky.  I unlock the paper drive clamp  (it's a large lever on top of the printer on the right) and then carefully align the sheet with the edge marker and slide the sheet in to the printer until it is sensed (you can hear the drive mechanism engage)  Then, I engage the paper drive clamp and the sheet feeds and positions normally. 

I've made no adjustments to the platen gap.

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:17:57 pm »

Just follow the video step by step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwcw_wlZdM

Jglaser757

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 01:28:46 pm »

I have a 9800 and I regularly print 8.5 x 11 sheets and occasionally 8.5 x 11 test strips of canvas.  Very useful before committing to a 40X60 print.  :)

It's tricky.  I unlock the paper drive clamp  (it's a large lever on top of the printer on the right) and then carefully align the sheet with the edge marker and slide the sheet in to the printer until it is sensed (you can hear the drive mechanism engage)  Then, I engage the paper drive clamp and the sheet feeds and positions normally. 

I've made no adjustments to the platen gap.
I have tried the at least ten times,,on the 9900 it is a button,,released the paper etc and tried to place it by hand,,didnt work either :-\

Jglaser757

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 01:30:46 pm »

Just follow the video step by step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwcw_wlZdM

Thanks

I watched that video and tried basically the same thing,,didnt work either!

feeling extremely frustrated >:(

Jglaser757

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

Sarcasm? 

jferrari

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 06:39:11 pm »

Sarcasm? 
Civility. Did you really spend multi-thousand's of dollars to print on 8 1/2" by 11" media? The purpose of the sample pack is to choose a product not to print on. Get a 44" roll of stock and start printing for the real reason you bought the printer.     - Jim

(I guess I CAN write a civil reply to this thread!)
Nothing changes until something changes.

Jglaser757

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 07:20:56 pm »

Civility. Did you really spend multi-thousand's of dollars to print on 8 1/2" by 11" media? The purpose of the sample pack is to choose a product not to print on. Get a 44" roll of stock and start printing for the real reason you bought the printer.     - Jim

(I guess I CAN write a civil reply to this thread!)
I would never get a sample pack and just look at it..That's like watching paint dry! I wan/need to print on it to see how the product reacts with my genre and whether it appeals to me! . Paper/Canvas/presentation is a very personal thing! Most,if not all, photographers need to see the finished product.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »

With all due respect, I think J Ferrari has a good point.  Your obsession with the paper not loading could be clouding your judgement in view of the big picture.  Why not get a sample roll and try printing several prints rather than just one little one?  Sometimes loading the small paper (canvas) is most difficult because the printer wasn't really designed for it optimally.  In a way, you're asking a Peterbuilt to do the job of a skateboard.

If you absolutely Must load that 8x10 sheet, try laminating a piece of paper on the back, 1) for rigidity, 2) who knows, some sensor might work.  Another thing you could try is taping two pieces together carefully from the back and fool the printer into thinking it's a roll. 

Of course you could just buy a roll....   ;D
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Jglaser757

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 10:25:51 pm »

With all due respect, I think J Ferrari has a good point.  Your obsession with the paper not loading could be clouding your judgement in view of the big picture.  Why not get a sample roll and try printing several prints rather than just one little one?  Sometimes loading the small paper (canvas) is most difficult because the printer wasn't really designed for it optimally.  In a way, you're asking a Peterbuilt to do the job of a skateboard.

If you absolutely Must load that 8x10 sheet, try laminating a piece of paper on the back, 1) for rigidity, 2) who knows, some sensor might work.  Another thing you could try is taping two pieces together carefully from the back and fool the printer into thinking it's a roll.  

Of course you could just buy a roll....   ;D

Thanks Mark, I taped two pieces together and fooled the printer into thinking it was a roll,,THANKS! You just save me a bunch of money!

I thought about buying a roll, but then it would be four or five rolls to evaluate. And I did not want to do that.  I have never printed or used canvas before and wanted to really get a "feel" for it. But, once I printed out the samples, I already decided that the metallic and glossy were not right for my work!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:26:25 am by Jglaser757 »

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 11:28:59 pm »

I've noticed that the feed rollers will bind on the edge of small sheets especially if they have any kind of curl ... just tape a 1 inch piece of common office paper to the edge so the feed rollers grab it as a leader but size your image accordingly so it prints in the correct position on the canvas
Pages: [1]   Go Up